Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-26-2020, 08:11 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This year, we are on track for about 25% of our yearly spending to be for health insurance, being unsubsidized group insurance for me, and Medicare for DW with an Advantage plan; both plans include dental and vision. We haven't been spending a lot on copays this year and our Rx's are cheap, so I didn't figure that in but it's a small percentage of the total.

OTOH, this is not a good year for this calculation. Staying home a lot, not eating out, no big or even small trips, we aren't spending even half of our safe withdrawal rate. And once I go on Medicare in about 4.5 years the insurance spending should go down.

YMMV
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2020, 08:15 AM   #62

Might have been useful to have made this a poll.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:30 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our total healthcare spending for 2019 was approximately 12% of our total spending. DW is on a Medicare Advantage plan. I'm on traditional Medicare with an F Select supplement and Part D coverage.

The two categories that are a bit of a surprise to us at this stage (14 years into FIRE) are IRMAA and the cost of prescriptions despite having drug coverage. We both take some expensive drugs (Xarelto in my case) and there appears to be no such thing as a cheap Part D or Medicare Advantage policy that does a good job of covering them.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:36 AM   #64

~ 5% and want to keep it that way.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by augam View Post
What percentage of your annual expense is your health care premiums family plan or non - family plan? What are your out of pocket deductibles?

Currently on Cobra and my premiums are (family) 18% of my annual expenses and the potential for 7k family or 3.5k individual.

Hoping to get these costs reduced greatly as my 2 sons are done with school and transitioning to their own HC plans.
thanks to military retirement, we spend a negligible amount. about $2k a year for me, DW and two children. my 2 adult/ children are in a different plan since they aged out, but thanks to their degrees in Art and Women's Studies from top colleges, we pay a small amount to their subsidized ACA plans. I dont include their expenses bc I fantasize the day when they are on their own
Retire52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire52 View Post
thanks to their degrees in Art and Women's Studies from top colleges, we pay a small amount to their subsidized ACA plans. I dont include their expenses bc I fantasize the day when they are on their own

grayv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:59 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by neihn View Post
I decided to stay with mega-corp health plan, hence the cost. If I go with ACA, it may be lower, however, it is not guarantee to be around in the future.
People been saying that since 2012. Still here. Move past the fear of no insurance options, we're not going back to the days where you can't get insurance because of pre-existing conditions. Doesn't matter if SC strikes down ACA (highly doubtful with current court makeup and Roberts as chief justice), there will be something to mandate guaranteed issue.

The cost of getting it may be another matter...
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:04 AM   #68

family of 4. 3 of us on an ACA HDHP, one on medicare with plan fprime and plan d. Total insurance is 10% of our spend.

Now add in out of pocket.... Last year wasn't too bad - about 2% of our all-in spend. Previous years have been 15% when we had multiple medical problems. Our only expensive event last year - DH was in a not-at-fault accident, was covered by the other party's insurance. The boys didn't break any bones or have any freak tumors like the amela blastoma from a few years ago.
Health Care Expense as a Percentage of Annual Expenses
Old 08-30-2020, 08:40 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Health Care Expense as a Percentage of Annual Expenses

I’m reading all of these replies carefully as I’m trying to ascertain what a budget might be for top of the line healthcare plan when I’m 65 and my spouse is 65.

I know we will go on Medicare and buy supplemental plans. I’ve tried the various online Medicare calculators but they want real data. Appreciate any insight. I know a lot is “it depends” what you choose, what state you live in. In general, is it $500 a month per person, $1000?

Also, What do you do for retire dental?

Thanks!
nhcycling is offline   Reply With Quote