Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Health care insurance costs now on W-2
Old 01-31-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
Administrator

Health care insurance costs now on W-2

Beginning this year, employee's W-2 forms will include the total cost of health insurance. It will be interesting to see how people react when they see this.

Quote:
The New York Times: To Open Eyes, W-2s List Cost Of Providing A Health Plan

As workers open their W-2 forms this month, many will see a new box with information on the total cost of employer-sponsored health insurance coverage. To some, it will be a surprise, perhaps even a shock. Workers often have little idea how much they and their employers are paying for coverage. ... The new information appears in Box 12 of the standard W-2 form, with a two-letter code, DD. The box shows the “cost of employer-sponsored health coverage.” And that amount is not taxable (Pear, 1/29).Tax Forms To Include Health Insurance Cost Info -- Per Health Law Requirement - Kaiser Health News
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yep, just got my W2, Box 12 DD is $5170.......plan is for a single person, no deductible, but I pay $250 for hospitalization and the first $250 of tests. My premium is $85/month. Until very recently would have been eligible for retiree healthcare from age 55 getting the same plan for the same premium. But that is going to be changed so I'll have to work until 62 to be eligible and my premium go to 50% of the cost. But I can still ER and be guaranteed a 2k/4k plan through The Connector website for $350/month. Not nearly as good, but not terrible either.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
Old 01-31-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Just checked mine...Phew! Box 12 - DD is $17214.12. We're a family of five and company deducts 566.70/month from my paycheck.
I can not believe the total cost! I hope Obamacare brings it down to make ER a reality for me.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow - this is a great thing. No longer hidden under the rug and ignored.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire2020 View Post
Just checked mine...Phew! Box 12 - DD is $17214.12. We're a family of five and company deducts 566.70/month from my paycheck.
I can not believe the total cost! I hope Obamacare brings it down to make ER a reality for me.
What I don't get is that in open enrollment last year, the stated "company cost" of all health benefits was about $8,500 a year. But Box DD shows nearly $13,000 for me -- and that's with an HSA-eligible HDHP...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 01-31-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Just looked at my W2 and it says $12,683.47 in that box. But what do I do with this info? Is it useful?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
What I don't get is that in open enrollment last year, the stated "company cost" of all health benefits was about $8,500 a year. But Box DD shows nearly $13,000 for me -- and that's with an HSA-eligible HDHP...
Did the $4,500 difference come out of your check?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeasterday View Post
Just looked at my W2 and it says $12,683.47 in that box. But what do I do with this info? Is it useful?
Not yet. But it may be used in the future to determine taxes on "Cadillac" health plans and who knows what else. Right now it's not used for anything in terms of taxes.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 01-31-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Did the $4,500 difference come out of your check?
Nope -- I was paying around $150 a month out of my paycheck. It's possible they added the $1,000 company contribution to my HSA but that doesn't even account for 1/4 of the discrepancy.

It may also include what they paid for dental and vision, but again, that's still nowhere near $4,500 a year. Maybe if you include it *all* -- my premiums, the company HSA contribution and dental/vision, you start to get close.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Did they change plans?

From the NYT article, the intent is to show the total cost, not just the employer net cost.
Quote:
The number on the W-2 form is supposed to reflect the part of the cost paid by the employer and the part paid by the employee.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like a potential build-up for when and if they decide to start taxing it...
Old 01-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #12

Interesting. I retired in 2011 but received incentive bonus from the ex-employer in 2012. I got a W-2 showing the incentive bonus and with the Block 12 code DD amount of $16,176. I also received a form 1099-R for the pension from ex-employer. The 1099-R does not have a place to report cost of health care insurance.

I wonder if in the future that I will get a W-2 from ex-employer with all zeros except for the DD coded amount for the retiree health care.

Also, I am not sure the $16,172 is just for the medical insurance plan or if it also includes the dental and vision plan premiums.

Edit: I believe the amount is for medical insurance only, since I pay exactly 25.00% of the DD amount as my part of the premium.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #13

Interesting. I hadn't noticed this.

my w-2 states 12143.52 - that's for Kaiser Permanente HMO. I'm fortunate to only pay $3504 of that.

It matches the company cobra rates for the same plan (I always use those figures for my retirement budgeting. - I've got a $10k additional budget item for increased insurance premiums.)

The $12k does not include dental. (I'm hoping to stay employed long enough to get the braces close to completion - insurance covers some, but more importantly, has much cheaper negotiated rates for orthodontia.)
Old 01-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #14

At least at our company - the total health care costs were available - if you went looking. It was the COBRA tables, and were posted on the internal HR website.
I always looked at these during open enrollment. I was always curious about how much the megacorp was paying, and how much the employee was paying. A few years ago the ratio started shifting towards a bigger burden on the employee for family coverage. (single remained the same ratio). That shift of burden, combined with increased premiums, made for a big impact on the payroll deductions. Lots of folks didn't do the math till I pointed it out. (I'm a trouble maker.) Many switched to spouse's work coverage after doing the math.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire2020 View Post
i will get shot for this. Obamacare is not bringing cost down
Old 01-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeasterday View Post

i believe Obamacare taxes cadillac insurance plans
Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

So, would I be correct in saying that if your employer provides you with health care, it is tax free to you, but if you have to purchase your own health care, you pay for it with after tax money?

If true, that would seem kind of regressive.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
So, would I be correct in saying that if your employer provides you with health care, it is tax free to you, but if you have to purchase your own health care, you pay for it with after tax money?

True. But left pocket - right pocket. You would just pay taxes on something else.

Rita
Old 01-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post

That's right - pretty big disconnect.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
True. But left pocket - right pocket. You would just pay taxes on something else.

Rita
Uh, no, not in this case.