Join Early Retirement Today

Health Care provided after retirment
Old 09-05-2006, 10:36 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Health Care provided after retirment

Hello, everyone is talking about companies eliminating the pensions my question is: How long will the companies that still offer health care after retirement continue to do so. How long can taxpayers continue to pay for teacher’s health care after their retirement?
runnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Health Care provided after retirment
Old 09-05-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

I'm am still amazed that any employer still offers health coverage to retirees. The cost to the company's overall health plan (rather than just active employees) is very high and eliminating this cost (and reducing what active employees have to pay) is an attractive option. Retired military members get wonderful coverage to age 65 and it has proven to be a very costly benefit the we taxpayor pay for.

Stockholders also dislike providing a costly benefit to someone that is no longer contributing to the bottom line.

As for coverage for retired educators, I don't believe that tax dollars provide this coverage to retired teachers. I believe that active teachers, and those that are enrolled in the retired plan, pay the freight in TX. Of course, I am not entirely sure that is tha way it works in TX, but I am pretty sure. Perhaps others on this forum will know for sure.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

As a teacher, I can answer that question - here in Minnesota, we do not have paid health care in retirement. We can, if we choose, roll over our 'leftover' sick days into a retirement health care account. In otherwords, we definitely pay our own way. My understanding of the Texas system is that the teacher's contributions fund the accounts. SO, don't be thinking we are getting such a great deal at your expense. NOW, about my paycheck... :
SolidA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:56 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
SO, don't be thinking we are getting such a great deal at your expense. NOW, about my paycheck...
Yeah, it's not the things a lot of people don't know that matter. It's the things they're sure of that just ain't so
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:59 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
Retired military members get wonderful coverage to age 65 and it has proven to be a very costly benefit the we taxpayor pay for.
I agree that it's costly, but I think the military's retention statistics have shown it to be a cost-effective benefit. Similar to the cost effectiveness of building multi-billion $$ ships and paying their crews for decades of training & deploying, yet never firing a warshot.

And remember, TRICARE For Life picks up at age 65 and is supposed to continue as second payer to Medicare. The expiration date of retiree military IDs is set to the month prior to their 65th birthday for just that reason.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:12 PM   #6

Quote:
I agree that it's costly, but I think the military's retention statistics have shown it to be a cost-effective benefit
Yes yes. Of course. Find a statistic to justify getting YOURS. Just dont let anybody else pull that sht.

As far as the comment:
Quote:
Retired military members get wonderful coverage to age 65 and it has proven to be a very costly benefit the we taxpayor pay for.
Yes, it costs. And the taxation for it I would submit is greatly unbalanced. Since The Rich are the primary per capita mega benficiaries of the military, and sicne they made more g/d money off of my active duty service than I ever did, they still have a bill to pay.

I'd say, since I did my job under certain conditions and obligations, and did my part so they could get rich, they owe me. So start writing bigger and bigger and bigger checks . Whatever it takes. If they don't have it they better
get it.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #7

Well, I got mine (Tricare) and darn proud and happy to have it. Just 20 months away till tricare for life. Sure was a good decision made back there in the 60s to stay in 20 years. Makes me look brilliant. . . err ah now, anyway.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:50 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz
Yes, it costs. And the taxation for it I would submit is greatly unbalanced. Since The Rich are the primary per capita mega benficiaries of the military, and sicne they made more g/d money off of my active duty service than I ever did, they still have a bill to pay.

I'd say, since I did my job under certain conditions and obligations, and did my part so they could get rich, they owe me. So start writing bigger and bigger and bigger checks . Whatever it takes. If they don't have it they better
get it.
OK, are you being sarcastic or serious? I think serious, but you are so over-the-top that I am uncertain.
bbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:49 PM   #9

He doesn't call himself Razz fer nuthin'
Old 09-05-2006, 03:57 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The potential loss of health insurance coverage in retirement is one reason we are waiting for DW to retire so we will have two options. Hers is the best since it she will pay nothing for premiums while mine would run about $150/month to cover both of us with about the same coverage.

Who knows what the future will bring and my previous company has already increased the premium percentage the retiree pays each of the last 4 years. New retirees must pay even more with the same years of service so you either have to work longer or pay more if you leave earlier.

My current employeer offers no insurance at retirement; acutually, they don't really have any retirement program and when you leave, you just leave rather than retire, unless you are 65 or older.