Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think I must have a pretty bad plan with Megacorp. They say they pay a couple hundred toward my retiree medical. Most services are 60/40 after a $2000 deductible. $504 for an individual; $1008 for participant + one or more. The two kids are 22 and 23 and not very likely to need medical services. This year this was $822 per month so it is going up considerably.

Maybe Megacorp found a new profit center?
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #22

Just got my bill for Jan. for my HDHP HSA . They just decided I can keep my old insurance for one more year, it went up $6 /mo to 263/mo. I had already applied for
ACA but haven't received any info yet to pick a plan, if approved for subsidy it should
be less than $100/mo.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #23
Administrator

Pre-Medicare retiree with group insurance through previous employer, $376/mo for DW and myself. PPO Plan with 80/20 coverage with $500 deductible per person and $30 co-pays for Dr visits. Fully paid annual exam, and flu shots.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I think I must have a pretty bad plan with Megacorp. They say they pay a couple hundred toward my retiree medical. Most services are 60/40 after a $2000 deductible. $504 for an individual; $1008 for participant + one or more. The two kids are 22 and 23 and not very likely to need medical services. This year this was $822 per month so it is going up considerably.

Maybe Megacorp found a new profit center?
I think maybe I retired from same Megacorp. My subsidized retiree medical premium this year for DW and I is $770/mo. Next year is rises ~25% to $950/mo. This is for a HDHP, 60/40 with $2K deductible per person.

I don't think Megacorp is trying to make a profit. I think they are trying to get out of providing health insurance to retirees by raising the premiums to the point where retirees can't afford to stay with them and have to get health insurance elsewhere, e.g. - ACA Health Exchanges.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
No increase for 2014 regarding medical (United Health Care),vision and dental through retiree benefits. Combined cost is still $289 a month for DH and me.
Wow -- good for you. That's a lot of coverage for a low premium.

Our group retirement family plan (w/HSA) went up 5% for a new premium of around $1200/month plus I fully fund the HSA. In March I start Medicare and that should help; DW won't be in MC for another 2.5 years.

Bottom line: high end plan (HSA-linked PPO) went up 5%, MC effects to be determined in March.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Geek View Post
I think maybe I retired from same Megacorp. My subsidized retiree medical premium this year for DW and I is $770/mo. Next year is rises ~25% to $950/mo. This is for a HDHP, 60/40 with $2K deductible per person.

I don't think Megacorp is trying to make a profit. I think they are trying to get out of providing health insurance to retirees by raising the premiums to the point where retirees can't afford to stay with them and have to get health insurance elsewhere, e.g. - ACA Health Exchanges.
I'm just going to shell out the big bucks next year. I wouldn't want to get involved in ACA until it settles down a bit if I don't have to. I will be 65 early in 2015 so it won't matter to me a lot after next year. About time for my kids to get their own insurance too. We'll see how that works about this time next year.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

For me alone, my 2014 costs will be:

$190.28 health insurance for federal retirees (no vision or dental)
$104.90 Medicare Part B

$295.18 (total)

The increase in my health insurance was 2.2% this year.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

My current retirement plan is with Kaiser and has a premium of $1071.00 and is going up 8% in 2014. It is a high deductible plan, $7000 deductible, $12000 max out of pocket. We get a $230 subsidy from Colorado PERA which is based on years served. Currently $230 is the max.

With ACA for a family of 4, two children 15 and 18 we will be getting Kaiser Gold $0 deductible, $20 office visit, 30% copay $12700 max out of pocket. The premium is $1223.53/mo. After subsidies we pay $445.93/mo. We may go to a higher deductible later.
rockymountainhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Have partially subsidized Megacorp retiree plan which covers only kids and me. DH is on Medicare already.

The history of the cost of this plan over the past 3 years:

2012 - $180 a month
2013 - $479 a month
2014 - $780 a month

This is for a plan with a $3000 family deductible, $7000 in network Out of pocket max (out of network limits are higher). Also, megacorp (who is self-insured) switches from Aetna to United Healthcare for 2014.

If unsubsidized, the premium would be $1242 a month so I'm glad to be having to pay only $780.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:33 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$378/month for Grandfathered Kaiser plan. The benefits/deductible are somewhere between a Gold and Platinum ACA plan. Although with no drug coverage.

The price increase 13% this year which is twice as much as its increased over the last dozen years.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Good and valid point, just trying to get a sampling across the folks here. I have no doubt mine will go up, just kind of curious as to what other plans are doing and how big of increases.

One would think a general retiree (80/20) plan for a pre-Medicare folks would be somewhat in the same ballpark.
I would venture to guess whether one's plan is going up significantly or not is somewhat dependent upon whether the coverage was already mostly ACA compliant or not.
retiredatfifty is offline   Reply With Quote