Join Early Retirement Today

Healthcare costs
Old 02-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Healthcare costs

My employer subsizes hc costs for retirees (55 yrs old min.) The total cost is $1,183/month for a $4,000/$8,000 deductible plan. This is the cost for a family of 3 (myself, wife and son).

My employer contributes $533/month. So net cost would be $650/month or $7,800 per year. I realize we would need to set up a HSA account as well.

Employers plan is with Universal. I also realize they can discontinue this retiree plan at any time.

Is this a good deal or would we be better off checking health plans on our own?

Any thoughts/insights would be helpful.

Thanks,

Golfnut
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #2

With 3 people in the plan, with two of them in the 55-64 y/o range, it is probably a good deal (depending on what it covers, and what its maximum cap is). 20-29 year olds are extremely inexpensive to cover (600-1k/yr), but the 55-64 range is the most expensive age range, it is usually 5k+ per person for a HDHP, and that is if they are in good health, many in the 55-64 range are uninsurable and cannot switch to a private plan. The HDHP would be more comprehensive after both spouses are 65+, but also much more expensive than medicare at 65+.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #3

Plex,

Thanks, our ages are 55, 52 and 17. Assume your comments would remain the same?
Old 02-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Comparing your retiree plan to ours, your plan is not too bad. We pay $210 a month for two people over the age of 50 (with a $2400 deductible). I think if we had a third person on our policy, our cost would be around $500 a month.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #5

Yes, same advice.

Also though, it depends on how quickly your employer's rates increase, it is entirely possible that a 20-40% increase could come along (or a subsidy decrease), and it may make switching a significant savings, increases really start adding up in the 50+ age range. The main reason your employer health insurance is probably more expensive (pre-subsidy) is because people with pre-conditions will invariably stay in it, because they cannot get private health insurance. But, before considering switching, research the plans you are interested in and see what people say about how quickly they increase rates after the first year, also make sure your are covered under the new plan before canceling the old coverage.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #6

Thanks to all for the insights.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #7

Just got the 2010 retiree HC costs from my employer. now the net cost would be $800/month or $9,600 per year-a 23% increase over last year. yikes!