Join Early Retirement Today

Re: help in planing
Old 03-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep

To repeat - look at Vanguard Retirement Series.

And, and then, and then - give a liberal ( preferrably a ER also) a ride to the doughnut shop.

If you are both ER'd - then you can engage in a really long debate.

It can be as stone simple as one fund - yeah even Wellesley if you don't like index funds.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2005, 12:23 PM   #162
Moderator Emeritus

I hope to set up with Vanguard next month. Unfortunately, my 401(k) just gives me a few crappy choices, so I'll only be able to put outside money in those funds (company match too good to pass up).
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:04 PM   #163

Hell, I wouldn't even have read the original post.
I thought it was about flying., or driving safety in the rain, or making the doors fit in a DIY project.
"Planing" ??

JG
Old 03-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #164
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey ed,

I use a MINI14 to do my planing.

BUM
Old 03-07-2005, 01:40 PM   #165

bum, I have a min, 14 ruger, in stainless with birch stock. I put a bipod on mine, I also have 2 aks 2 colt ar15s, a fnfal,m1A1, m1 garand,m1 carbine by quality hardware, just to name a few, when I shoot it takes several min. to decided which one to use. I also load and have appx 40,000 rounds. you know for rabbits and such. TH you are obviously a snob. I can little tolerate snobs, so please don't use my posts to give your ego a boost. I have had several college professors that I work for ask me what collage I had been schooled in, and I gladly reply non, I read allot. I have seen many collage graduates that do little to impress me. people who look down their noses at others because of what is a perceived education, are displaying the same type of little mindedness as the raciest, just not because the color of their skin but in the end it is the same.

when liberals have no substance they tend to attack character, when theirs is usually the character wanting.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:54 PM   #166
Moderator Emeritus

So Ed,

You sound like a firearms expert. Let me ask you a question then. I am looking into buying my first gun, for many years I've just rented at the range. The gun I love the most is a .357 magnum revolver. Perfect weight in my hand, stopping power, still low caliber enough to be accurate for a green horn like me. Any recommendations on brand or an alternate type I should look into?
Old 03-07-2005, 03:35 PM   #167

Quote:
I think Ed has someone helping him write a few of his sentences,
TH, I guess, my sarcasm wasn't very obvious.
ed's track record on spelling etc. would have precluding that he didn't write this on his own.
Although, I'll give him credit for trying to improve the quality of his message. Now if he only improved the actual message.

Quote:
hypostatizations.
JG, for a second, I had to do a double take. My vocabulary isn't quite as evolved as yours :-/

MJ luv and kisses
Old 03-07-2005, 03:46 PM   #168

While we are waiting for ed..............357 Mag. is a nice gun. Maybe a bit light for big game (if you are a hunter),
but I would use mine for whitetails if I was close.
I have a GP100 Ruger Stainless .357 revolver with a 7.5 in. barrel. I used to have a Ruger .44 Mag. I like this
better and it's cheaper to shoot. I sold almost all my
guns but kept this one. Fits like a glove.......sweet.

JG
Old 03-07-2005, 04:14 PM   #169
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh!!! You are talking about guns and ammo!! I was wondering what planet ya'll had started speaking from.
indymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:31 PM   #170
Moderator Emeritus

JG, thanks for the input, so what do you think of the .357 mag with safety slugs for home defense ?

I tried the .44, and while I enjoyed shooting it, I found I just wasn't that accurate with it. With the 357, I was able to nail the bulls eye pretty consistently at 50 yards. Fired a .50 cal Desert Eagle that day too. Ridiculous, but fun!
Old 03-07-2005, 08:49 PM   #171

Quote:
. *guru, you need to strap on a colt 1911A1 grab a couple of mags, and blast some targets on the range, I bet you will change your mind, something about that cordite smell in the am, gets your blood going...
I really am disappointed that not a single gun toter saw my rattlesnake post as complimentary and on target. I think you guys are wimps that do not have proper respect and admiration for the rattlesnake. I do. Because of that, I respect their right to exist. And I do the same for you. Are all of the gun toters on this board too dim to get that point?

I've handled plenty of guns, ed, and handled them well. I understand them. I know what they can do and know what they can't do. They simply offer nothing for me personally today.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:02 AM   #172

I agree with JG, the ruger series of hand guns is the best value save one. Taurus they come with a life time warrantee, and the guns are very well built, and about 30% less than ruger, if money is not an object and you want something that is a little more expensive but has some extra resale value, then a smith and wesson 686 is nice in 4 or 6 inch, stainless. you don't have to take care of a stainless like a blued pc. 357 has been shown to be one of the bes one shot stoppers on the market, I have never been one of those that fall for a new caliber that comes out, they usually sell hot for a year then die out, I.E. 40 s&w, 10mm, 357 sig, not there is a new offering, a 45 auto that is all the same as the one we know, but the case is a few mm shorter.
The 357 has another big advantage [I have 3 colt king cobra, s&w 686, American arms 1873 copy.] You can shoot cheep 38 special wad cutters through them.
If you don't reload you can find a shop near by that does and for 4 or 5 bucks a box you can go blast at the range.
I love the mag. but it is more enjoyable to shoot the 38 specials.
Less kick and flash. But if you are back at home for self defense, hydroshock 357 mags. If you need to shoot a gremlin, Take him down hard, Gremlins tend to get pissed when you put a pc. of lead in them.
My vote for what it is worth is for the taurus in one model or another, if money is not an issue, the colt king cobra, if money is not an issue at all the colt python. but I tend to shy away from this gun, It carries a price tag of around 1500, and for that you can buy several tauruses.
btw I to respect snakes, that is why I have shot shells for my pistols, It dispatches them nicely.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:42 AM   #173

Taurus makes a handgun called The Raging Bull.
Some macho types would buy it just for the
name

Some people think the "Dirty Harry" size handgun
(.44 Mag) is the largest produced. Not so, although
I expect the recoil would make you wonder which end of
the weapon was more dangerous

JG

Old 03-08-2005, 03:51 AM   #174
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've fired a .44 mag and the recoil is chewy.

I like my stainless 1860 old army repro. with blackpowder(not pryodex) - my kind of 44. Nice cloud of smoke, recoil is acceptable and takes long enough to reload that you don't piss away a lot of money on ammunion(I like cheap). Pain in the butt to clean though.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:46 AM   #175

You own and shoot a gun made in 1860? Holy cow. I couldnt afford to own a gun that old. I'd sell it to someone willing to pay an insane amount of money for it just because its that old.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 05:55 AM   #176
Moderator Emeritus

My friend also recommended the Taurus! It's on my short list, and, yeah, the ability to load .38 was a big plus for plinking at the firing range. Are used gun purchases more trouble than they're worth? I was thinking anybody willing to sell their gun probably didn't like it that much to begin with. I am on a budget, but I know you get what you pay for....
Old 03-08-2005, 06:23 AM   #177

Hello! Interesting how "help in planing" morphed into
a tutorial on guns and ammo. Gotta love this site

It is not always true that a private seller doesn't like
the weapon being sold. For example, I sold 2 shotguns
when I quit hunting that I was quite fond of. I sold them because I was no longer using them, they were
expensive, and I can't
stand to have "stuff" laying around here tying up money.

JG
Old 03-08-2005, 06:37 AM   #178

Ed--I'd have to disagree on the .40 S&W. *Many police agencies are using it. *It has more power than *a 9mm and less liabiliity than a .45. The .40 is also easier for the smaller people to shoot as it has little more recoil than the 9.

As far as home defense I think the 9mm is a good sized round. *You might not drop the person on the first shot, but that has advantages. *Most people I've delt with who broke into someone's house were cowards. *The 9mm puts a good hole in them and won't kill them. *They get to deal with the pain and suffering whiel they heal and a scar to constantly remind them why they shouldn't break into someone's house. *The other side is my house is block if I miss the bonehead with anything much bigger than the 9mm I have to worry about riquocet. *My second choice is a 12ga. *The riquocet is not a big concern and it is pretty much point and shoot, leaving the bad guy with lots of little holes.

I use a Smith model 99 at work it's blued and a pain in the gluteus maximus to keep from rusting in Florida's humid environment. *My home defense is a Ruger P89 stainless. *It is a breeze to clean and keep from rusting, but way too heavy to carry at work.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:56 AM   #179
Moderator Emeritus

Totally guilty of hijacking here, sorry! I think Ed mentioned safety slugs in regards to home defense, and my friend at work did. I believe they pancake out when they hit a wall, keeps you from killing your neighbor!

...On anther note, closer to the thread, do all the retirees here have they're house paid off, and why or why not? I'm not an expert, but it seems if the key is not to withraw too much money (no more than 4%) when you retire, having no house payment makes it a lot easier to live on the cheap if you have a few down months with your portfolio. It's not sexy, but I think it's a no brainer. Am I way off base here?
Old 03-08-2005, 07:02 AM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets

That's exactly why we paid ours off. Plus we owed so little on it that there was no tax deduction anyway.
indymom is offline   Reply With Quote