Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-20-2017, 07:34 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonas View Post
Is this assuming that you're hitting the deductible every single year and not getting a tax credit? I've been reading a lot about people claiming you'll pay 20-30k per hear in health care premiums and/or out of pocket costs but this largely depends on the state where you live and your income. I would suggest the OP go to healthcare.gov or your states health care exchange website and run some estimates. In New Hampshire, for two people in their mid 50's with 54k per year in income, medium doctor visits, max out of pocket for a silver plan is 10k, monthly premiums $448 per month, estimated total yearly costs $11098.

For a silver plan in Illinois for the same scenario as above, it certainly is a higher monthly premium but the estimated yearly cost is about 13k per year, $762 monthly premiums. In California, $655 per month for monthly premiums, max out of pocket $13500.

I'm fairly new to investigating health care costs and premiums as I'm in the beginning stages of planning my retirement (currently covered by an employer plan). Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something.

All this is might be irrelevant in 2018 but just wanted to find out where people are getting these estimates.
For young ER folks that can live on lower incomes and live in low or moderate COL states, the ACA has been a big help. Look at FUEGO (Root of Good). He's worked the ACA to his advantage. People with higher incomes in their 50's are paying through the nose. And Medicaid might work for FUEGO's kids in North Carolina, but the California version (Medi-Cal) is worthless.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

Been a few years since I saw this. LMAO! Thanks!
Old 05-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Been a few years since I saw this. LMAO! Thanks!
+1. And my wife did NOT think it was funny at all! What does that tell you!

And the post by Aerides did make me think of this video though " (and then just listen, don't jump to solve each issue).". And I'm sure she's right.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
First thing I would do is spend about 20 minutes online and find out what HI will cost YOU. Regardless, $120K for HI sounds way, way out of line. Someone's fibbing or misinformed.

Has to be...At that price every member in the family can go to surgery center in Oklahoma, pay cash, and everyone receive total knee replacements every year for both legs. Or if that sounds boring the family could have 11 bypass graft surgeries. There would be no incentive to have insurance at that price. Shove the kids inside a bubble and tell them they arent leaving it until they turn 18. $120,000 in premiums for 4 people (3 kids), that is nonsense talk.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
You need to ask her: What will make you feel comfortable? (and then just listen, don't jump to solve each issue).

And don't focus so much on number (but have them ready to produce. not "I figure" but "here, this is what it will be").

Guarantee you HI is not her only concern.
Yes- My DH grew up poor and is having trouble with this because his parents replied to every question with "we can't afford to" DH did this in the first years we were married- we had to sit down and have a talk. We are both very conservative with our considerable income but we COULD afford a vacation. It took my husband YEARS to accept the fact that yes, we could retire and I was simply going to, whether he liked it or not. He's coming around though, and after years of denial re the numbers and countless charts and graphs, he's gotten it. We have enough. He doesn't have to retire if it makes him feel better to work, but he gets that we are good. Its a psychological thing, not a numbers thing.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:21 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
But lately the BS bucket is filling up for her, but she is paralyzed by fears.

Fear that health insurance will be unattainable...
OP, your profile says you live in Missouri. You may interested in this post on another thread.

It states with the withdrawal of BCBS of Kansas City from the 2018 individual market, 25 counties in western MO will be without individual market plans unless another insurer steps in.
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote