Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-08-2020, 11:28 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's been a gradual process for us. I can't say we were ever super frugal, but we were definitely careful with our money, lived below our means, saved a lot, invested carefully and didn't take on long-term debt other than mortgage.

We still do those things, but with our annual income going up so much we've definitely loosened the purse strings. We still seek value for quality - but at a higher quality level, we eventually started traveling first class much of the time, we enjoy higher end hotel rooms and will often upgrade and use nicer hotels, we buy whatever we want for groceries (don't eat out much unless traveling). We don't skimp on travel overall. And we gift way more than we ever did before.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

A few small things to share the abundance without putting yourself at risk, you could stop at any time.

1. Upgrade what you consume-no need for Natty light anymore
2. Tip bigger when you go out
3. Tip for things you haven't before
4. Give holiday and or random gifts for your service people - trash, UPS/FedEx/mail
5. Get a lawn service
6. Anonymously payoff someone's layaway at Wal Mart

There are plenty of creative ideas in the "Blow The Dough" threads
Old 01-08-2020, 12:57 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think there's more to this issue than just frugality. You current standard of living defines you to a certain extent. Your family & friends have come to see you as living this lifestyle. So, when you 'upgrade' it, you've changed - not only to yourself, but to your loved ones. And I think this is an issue that isn't readily acknowledged. "What will they say?"

It isn't dissimilar to the issue that most of us feel (at different levels) when we ER while others we know & love are still working.

Take small steps - lots of great suggestions here, but the one that appeals most to me is to upgrade what you're already doing. Traveling? Stay at a better hotel or upgrade the seat class. Eating out? try more expensive restaurants - maybe you'll like them more. Better wine? At the upper end - a more expensive car.

Small steps will ensure that you don't overdo it. Good luck.
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:01 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nope. I married an expert in the art of consuption and she's done a wonderful job at preventing me from spending below our means.
Consuption sounds like a frightening activity in addition to being an expensive one.

PS. If it is not worth posting in the thread of "Couples - What do you fight about most?", then I assume that it is not really that bad.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:02 PM   #25

Do what DW did back at Thanksgiving, by spiking the ball. She bought a Mercedes.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:28 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Give $1,000 bucks to everyone in this thread. You need to do this to escape your frugal mode.
I just thought I better post in this thread rather than just read it.

OP has gotten some good, useful advice here
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:31 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Check into a dementia ward - $3500 a week. I'm saving my stash so I don't bankrupt DW.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:45 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Check into a dementia ward - $3500 a week. I'm saving my stash so I don't bankrupt DW.
So, when you do reach that point you’re counting on her spending all that money on you? Hope if works out that way.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I could understand not getting much pleasure out of first class on a short domestic flight, but on long overseas flights? Those lie-flat seats are so comfy (compared to cramped coach seats), and the whole first class experience (food, drinks, service) is hands-down better than coach. Way better.
Right, for overseas flights and extended vacation accommodations, I agree.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:33 PM   #30

DW and I were on the same page during our accumulation phase. Now that we are both retired, we are in wonderful financial position. We are spending some more than than usual, but we can easily afford to spend even more....like a 3rd or even 4th week-long vacation.
Alas, since I do the finances DW is simply not convinced we can do so. We're not exactly suffering, so no sympathy needed, but yes I'd like to spend some more.
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:39 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Right - increase tips. That’s something DH and I started to do.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:43 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nope. I married an expert in the art of consuption and she's done a wonderful job at preventing me from spending below our means.
Same issue here.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:49 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdhead View Post
Wife and I have lived a fairly frugal life. Have always saved maximum for retirement. Well, we are there and now with pension, SS, dividends, company stock, and multiple IRAs and 401k’s. I am overwhelmed with the nest egg and how to spend it. I feel stuck in this frugality mindset and can’t seem to spend more. I know it is a silly problem but for me it is real. Anyone else have this issue or ideas?

Really, you don’t know how to spend money and enjoy life?
dcoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:45 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
So, when you do reach that point you’re counting on her spending all that money on you? Hope if works out that way.
Do you think she'll just drop me off in the sticks like an unwanted dog?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:45 PM   #35

For me, there's always a better projector, better audio/video gear, better dive gear, better travel, better kitchen appliances, more jewelry for my wife, better camera gear, more lenses, and ALWAYS better cars.

I knew an ER couple once, and they replaced all of their stuff when it was old or something better came along. And they got rid of the old stuff so their place wasn't cluttered.

I'll +1 on first/business class upgrades if you travel long-distance.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:59 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

Help me spend money

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoy View Post
Really, you don’t know how to spend money and enjoy life?

I really do enjoy my life, don’t really need more or better stuff for enjoyment. We are living far from destitute. Snowbird with 2 homes. Cars and jewels do little for me or wifey. I did just made a decision today to remodel the Florida kitchen without second guessing myself so I guess that is a good start to more spending.
Hdhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:31 PM   #37

We still spend far less than Firecalc tells us we can spend but we don’t have anything we really want to spend the money on that we aren’t already buying.

But when things break down, and all of a sudden we need a new washing machine, or a new roof, or a major car repair, we no longer sweat those things. We can easily afford them so we just happily pay what we need to pay to keep everything working. There is a certain peace of mind of knowing that no matter what surprises are thrown at us we are covered. It lets us sleep at night. To me that’s worth more than any material purchases we may be holding back on.

We did both buy Teslas in the past year though. That was definitely a splurge for both of us.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:35 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Agree- we don't need more "stuff" - in fact we need to sell "stuff" to enjoy life

But i understand the dilemma .
DH and I are use to a frugal lifestyle and we are still under-spend by quite a lot.
Wasting money does not make me happy!

So I recently joined a community non profit board and will donate more $$.

and More $$ to our church

We also plan to gift more $$ to family in next 5 years.

So grateful to be here !!
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:44 PM   #39

Buy a boat. I have never owned one, but everyone I have talked to over the years that has , they all said a boat is nothing but a great big hole in which to pour money into.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:17 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
Buy a boat. I have never owned one, but everyone I have talked to over the years that has , they all said a boat is nothing but a great big hole in which to pour money into.
In addition to that, if you really want to pi$$ away money, buy an airplane and get your pilots license.