Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2020, 10:00 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I could understand not getting much pleasure out of first class on a short domestic flight, but on long overseas flights? Those lie-flat seats are so comfy (compared to cramped coach seats), and the whole first class experience (food, drinks, service) is hands-down better than coach. Way better. Now, of course, one could argue whether this is worth the added cost—typically well over $1,000 more than the economy/coach fare. I struggle with that myself, but I think it's a reasonable upgrade to suggest to someone who enjoys traveling and is looking to "blow that dough" in retirement.
I couldn't agree more. The worst thing about overseas travel is the flight. Upgrading to 1st class or business class would be an excellent way to blow extra money.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2020, 10:17 AM   #82

If you play golf, take your friends on a trip to Pebble Beach, Pinehurst, Scotland or Bandon Dunes.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:21 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
If you play golf, take your friends on a trip to Pebble Beach, Pinehurst, Scotland or Bandon Dunes.
Sounds good! I will be your friend
Eucerin is offline   Reply With Quote
People are dying to get into these
Old 01-12-2020, 10:40 AM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

People are dying to get into these

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Dont wanna be the richest guy in the graveyard.
Consider upgrading to a more exclusive cemetery:

https://www.therichest.com/most-expe...down-the-dead/

You can spend eternity in well-heeled company.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:23 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dr. Doe, the Salvation Army is my favorite charity. A married couple are always in charge and together they get one small salary. Most of the money goes to help people. As a former social worker I have seen them help many of our clients. They are religious which turns some people off but I don’t care. Locally we have a mission for homeless men and they spend very little on salaries. I also give to our local humane society because they receive no money from the National one. People assume they are connected but they aren’t.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:24 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
I've been frugal all my life and "struggled" to spend more in retirement, too. It's not just frugality, though, it's really a philosophy of life, simplicity. Keeping things small, simple, and uncluttered, so I can focus on what I really enjoy and care about.

I'm different, in that I don't seem to want or care about most of what normal people do -- you know, kids, family, nice houses, travel, busy social calendar, nice cars, lots of stuff, plenty of entertainment. I get my joy from simple things like reading, taking walks, going to the park and walking my dog, fiddling on the internet, hanging out in the backyard, playing a game, reflecting, or just relaxing. None of these things cost any money.

So despite my desires to spend more, I'm only moderately successful. I can't really change who I am at this point, nor do I want to. Buying stuff just doesn't bring me much happiness, generally speaking.

Now, there have been a few exceptions. I "bought" a dog. I bought a bike. I spend pretty freely on good food. I bought some better patio furniture. I bought a shitload of books. I buy gourmet food for my backyard squirrels and birds, lol. All of those things made me happier or more content. If there's something I want, and I think it'll genuinely bring me long-term happiness/contentment, I'll buy it. I don't deprive myself. But I've only been moderately successful in increasing my spending so far, even though I know I should. I yam who I yam.
OMG Eddie, It is very similar to mine. except I have a family but not dog.
My biggest expense is buying grocery for home cooking (many of them are organic). Reading, exercise, hiking, running don't cost much money at all.
NextInLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
I couldn't agree more. The worst thing about overseas travel is the flight. Upgrading to 1st class or business class would be an excellent way to blow extra money.
We flew Business Class on British Airways a number of times. Other than a comfortable flight, they have great BC lounges. You sit and relax, have a light meal, beer , wine, or soda, and quiet.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:45 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
Consider upgrading to a more exclusive cemetery:

https://www.therichest.com/most-expe...down-the-dead/

You can spend eternity in well-heeled company.
Great for networking!
Old 01-14-2020, 05:18 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

"I feel stuck in this frugality mindset and can’t seem to spend more."

Welcome to the club!! Wife and I have been retired for 8 years and I still can't bring myself to spend even 50% of what we could/should. Got 200k/year income in retirement, just shy of 5M in assets, and still have trouble breaking the mentality of 'saving for tomorrow'. You haven't said why you have the frugality issue, but for me it is simple - at some point the economy is going to dump. Many of those who spend freely are going to be selling their houses for pennies on the dollar (again), and I don't want to even take a chance of being part of that crowd. Fear of poverty is, or even being middle class, is a great motivator for being a tightwad. Maybe you have the same issue?
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:23 PM   #90
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just wanted to get in on this thread in case you took Jim's advice.
Shardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:54 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Two nights in Carmel for a grand!

But what a room eh?
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:08 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Very nice room. Recently, I paid close to that for an Airbnb apartment in a Waikiki highrise, which was nowhere that nice, but it was for 5 people.

Out of curiosity, I looked on the Web, and across the Carmel Bay, there are a couple of lodges that are more expensive, and the rooms do not look as nice. I guess their higher prices are because of the golf courses. I'd rather take your TicklePink Inn.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:40 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Thanks!

Yeah, it's that tub shot out the window that did it... signed me right up.

Yeah some guys like to golf but me...I'mma gonna tickle some pink -
Old 01-14-2020, 09:04 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by levindb View Post
We are still clipping coupons and using Groupon...I think it is in our DNA.
I finally gave up clipping coupons a couple years ago. Sorting through the ones I might want wasn't too bad. But half the time I'd forget them in my car and have to go back and get them, or skip it. Then I'd have to squint at the expiration date, and keep track of what I bought with a coupon and what I didn't. Then the slowdown at the register whether I do self-scan or a manned register. Then there would be the time when I grabbed the wrong size or something else made the coupon invalid. So I punted them. And it greatly improved my attitude toward grocery shopping. Worth every penny I'm giving up not using them.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:10 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Yeah.

I keep losing the $5 off coupons the hardware store sends me. What's groupon?
Old 01-14-2020, 10:33 PM   #96
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have the same problem but I don't think I have the wealth of some of you people. I grew up poor and never really had a budget or spending plan. I just saved very well. Starting a couple of years ago, I put myself on a budget of 60K a year. No family, no heirs. I have a sister who lives overseas who doesn't have anything to do with me. I don't really know my cousins, except for one whom I barely know and she's loaded. But I don't want to wind up in a nursing home and if that means keeping a lot of money in order to finish my life in my apartment, so be it. At 65, my big $215 a month pension kicks in.

I guess the answer for the person who wanted to spend money, get married and have kids. Women can spend every dime you make.
bencasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:01 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

Start collecting Japanese swords. That should easily take care of any excess $$ lying around!
catii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:33 AM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Buy a small yacht. It will definitely help you spend. An airplane would be even better. I can't fly anymore because of my cataracts so shifted to sailing instead. I love it!!

Seriously though, I identify with this and for us it was an actual problem. The epiphany came for us when we were on a tour in China. There were some very beautiful silk art which I would buy except for our frugality. I was sitting with another woman with a similar mindset talking about how we had amassed a lot of money but weren't spending it. My wife, who is the more frugal of us, realized I was right and plopped down $5k for a large silk piece on the spot which shocked me. We actually ended up buying 2 of them and lugging them home but they are beautiful. Since then we are not being frugal at all and it hasn't really affected our savings. We have 5 long and expensive trips planned this year. But, we are in our 70's and the clock is running out so we have decided to spend it down as long as we are fit enough to enjoy travelling and our hobbies of photography. We have no grandchildren so for us it is not a serious issue to maintain savings for my children. They are completely on their own and doing fine.
Old Microbiologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:38 AM   #99

I am not religious, but I find my thoughts often return to the mental explorations of my youth and Jesus’s clever quips on matters.,

He was distainful of over worry about the future, miserliness leading to relatives enjoying the fruits of your labour, and he thought excess money should be focused on increasing your friendships.

I have a humble condo in a wealthy Florida gated community, where I get to study different lifestyles. The key seems to be making choices and investing money in social enablers.

1) vacation homes in retirement communities with an active sports and social scene, in particular, a staffed bar and restaurant, is beneficial. A cottage near children will draw family together.

2) a comfortable boat is something you can invite acquaintances out on, a great social enabler. One with a head.

3) a home suitable for largish cocktail parties and dinners allows you to be the host, the person inviting others

4) spend money on learning golf, tennis, pickleball, poker, mah Jong,

5) dogs

6) Chautauqua arts and philosophy Mecca in the summer

7) special interest cruises

Curate carefully who you get close to. People with strong marriages who have their **** together who can teach you something about living.
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:22 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
I am not religious, but I find my thoughts often return to the mental explorations of my youth and Jesus’s clever quips on matters.,

He was distainful of over worry about the future, miserliness leading to relatives enjoying the fruits of your labour, and he thought excess money should be focused on increasing your friendships.
I'm familiar with the "disdainful of over-worry about the future" -- the whole lilies of the field speech -- but disdainful over "miserliness leading to relatives enjoying the fruits of your labor?" Where does that come from? I'm just curious. I'm trying to recall a passage, but I'm coming up blank.

Also, "he thought excess money should be focused on increasing your friendships"? Can you share a quote? Thanks.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote