Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Help navigating Fidelity website, please!
Old 05-01-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Help navigating Fidelity website, please!

Needing some help, please!

After another bad experience with the broker from Wells Fargo, we just transferred our account from Wells Fargo to Fidelity.

We were used to WF having a report that we could access to show dividends, the date paid, and estimated annual income. For the life of me, I can't find that information on Fidelity's website. Does anyone know how to find this at Fidelity?

On WF we had our stocks, bonds, and preferreds separated in groups, not all lumped together alphabetically. Any possibility that this list be changed??

I know Fidelity's site is a bit different but not being able to see the information my husband is needing is causing him a bit of concern. He's frustrated and almost wishes he hadn't jumped ships even though WF was treating him terribly. He's sure that the dividends that have dropped into our old WF account today won't ever make it over to Fidelity.

I'm hoping that someone can make some suggestions on how to make the Fidelity website more useful! It seems that all we can really do is see the day's gain/loss, an alphabetical list of stocks, and make trades. I am hoping that there is more to the site and I just haven't found it yet!

Thanks!
COHgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by COHgirl View Post
We were used to WF having a report that we could access to show dividends, the date paid, and estimated annual income. For the life of me, I can't find that information on Fidelity's website. Does anyone know how to find this at Fidelity?

On WF we had our stocks, bonds, and preferreds separated in groups, not all lumped together alphabetically. Any possibility that this list be changed??
Not sure about the website, but you will see exactly what you want on the monthly statement you get from Fido.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:57 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Income is on the statement. You can customize your display on the positions page by clicking the customize link. If that doesn’t give you the display you want, you can download to excel.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Click Account page and then find activity/order tab at top of page. Default report is last 10 days but have choice of duration.
Or, find your statements, and either view or print as mentioned by previous poster.
Failing have your account rep walk you through the navigation. I have found Fido's CSRs knowledgeable and helpful
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

It may take a bit of time to learn how to navigate the Fidelity site.

I am confident that you will be well served to study the system and learn how to access the information you want. You will be rewarded many time over by escaping that treacherous, unethical, self-serving den of thieves known as Wells Fargo.

Not that I have much of an opinion about Wells Fargo...
Old 05-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
It may take a bit of time to learn how to navigate the Fidelity site.

I am confident that you will be well served to study the system and learn how to access the information you want. You will be rewarded many time over by escaping that treacherous, unethical, self-serving den of thieves known as Wells Fargo.

Not that I have much of an opinion about Wells Fargo...
Just. +. 1.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:36 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like the view we want and the estimated income tally aren’t going to be something we can see with Fidelity on the website. I look forward to our first statement!

FWIW, we signed the TOA on Tuesday afternoon. By Thursday we were able to see the securities listed that were being transfered. On Monday they showed in our account as that day's business. Tuesday morning (today), everything was in place. It was interesting to spend the weekend seeing our “balance” as zero! Haha!
Old 05-02-2018, 04:40 AM   #8

Other than the statement I don't know how you can get the equity EAI on the website. However the fixed income analysis tool is very comprehensive. It can be found : Portfolio> Analysis>Fixed Income Analysis>Cash Flow Calculation. These is also a tab for avg maturity, yield, etc. You can also make your own list of sub categories. For instance I keep separate lists for current expense CD's and long term income CD's.

With my roughly 42/58 allocation I follow the fixed income projections pretty closely. Since the equity side can vary I use a historical dividend over the last year at 75% for budgeting purposes. I don't see a need to follow the equity EAI too closely. IMHO in good years it could be too optimistic for future projections.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:23 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Even we regular Fido clients sometimes struggle with their website because, just when we get used to it and figure out how to navigate it, they go in and revamp the whole thing so we have to relearn how to do things we already knew how to do easily!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:28 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I keep a spreadsheet to track my dividends. Statements on FIDO website do not accurately match my spreadsheet. They are close but not exact. That is my experience from 25+ years being a Fidelity customer.
robls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:31 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Even we regular Fido clients sometimes struggle with their website because, just when we get used to it and figure out how to navigate it, they go in and revamp the whole thing so we have to relearn how to do things we already knew how to do easily!
Yeah, that's true enough. There are generally multiple paths to the info I need, but I'd prefer they just tweek the site or offer the option to retain a "classic" format.

As for OP, I'm not sure why you cannot follow the path to the statements link to see the annual income estimates for securities (not sure about EIA).

You should just call them up and ask for help or look in the "Learning Center" for tutorials on using the site.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:36 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The regular change of look and navigation of websites is one of my peeves. Many places seem to change for the sake of change (it's that called job security? ) modifying a perfectly good site already.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #13

It is easy for me to beef about Fidelity changing their website. Then I also think about how my investing with them has changed over the years.

For many years, it was only my 401K. Then I moved some of that money into a brokerage account where I could trade a limited number of funds that were not a part of the 401K portfolio options. Then they added an HSA account. And I added an inherited IRA. And my wife added a 401K and a stock account. Then she converted her 401K to a tIRA. Then she added a Roth IRA. And I added a Roth IRA. Then I added a pair of 403b accounts at a different place, but track them on Fidelity's website.

So- my quantity and types of accounts has changed, as well as how the Fidelity website. There is still a distinction between the accounts that are associated with former megaCorp employer (401K and HSA) and the 'personal' accounts (BDA, ROTH). Of course, the accounts held at TIAA/CREF are only visible as totals on a summary page, as are my wife's accounts.

I used the 'Full View' option for awhile, and it did an OK job of tracking assorted checking and savings accounts, credit cards, airplane mileage, etc. But the overhead with maintaining a connection with all of those accounts became tedious. And a bit of paranoia caused me to remove everything except the investment accounts.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:36 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Yeah, that's true enough. There are generally multiple paths to the info I need, but I'd prefer they just tweek the site or offer the option to retain a "classic" format.

As for OP, I'm not sure why you cannot follow the path to the statements link to see the annual income estimates for securities (not sure about EIA).

You should just call them up and ask for help or look in the "Learning Center" for tutorials on using the site.
The previous version of their website, up until a few years ago, had a nice feature which included a drop-down menu on the far right side of the list of funds/securities within each account in your portfolio. When you clicked on the menu, you saw all the transfer and trade options such as "buy more shares." When they made their "new and improved" website, they got rid of that and made you select Trade or Transfer which opened a window which you then had to select what you wanted to do and then select a fund(s). I have found that more cumbersome, and I can never remember if I had to choose Transfer or Trade. IMHO they turned it from an easy-peasy thing to something tougher to do.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I spent an hour on the phone talking to a guy about what we wanted to see with their website. I had a bunch of questions on my list. This was a very good hour! He was very helpful and I learned a few things.

Turns out what we want isn't available in the normal view. He set us up with the Fidelity Active Trader Pro. That application has the ability to add columns to our portfolio view. It seems to be exactly what we needed. It now has the dividend date and at the bottom, the total estimated income. It reminds me of Yahoo! Finance custom view.

I am very pleased with the customer service from Fidelity so far. (It's only been a week since we first met them and started our transfer!) I've called with questions and had my calls returned promptly. Questions were answered and additional reps helped out when needed. The last straw with Wells Fargo was when we tried to buy a Treasury and they gave us a stripped one. Wasn't what we asked for... Then the broker said he would have to get back to us on Monday after he did some research (this was said on a Friday after lunch, we think he just went home, he didn't want to look anything up). We never got a call on Monday. Tuesday we got an email saying that they didn't have our phone number. Funny thing is they called us on Friday. Guess our number vanished into thin air?? Haha!

So far so good, I hope things continue to go this smoothly!

Thank you all for your replies!
Old 05-02-2018, 01:27 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The previous version of their website, up until a few years ago, had a nice feature which included a drop-down menu on the far right side of the list of funds/securities within each account in your portfolio. When you clicked on the menu, you saw all the transfer and trade options such as "buy more shares." When they made their "new and improved" website, they got rid of that and made you select Trade or Transfer which opened a window which you then had to select what you wanted to do and then select a fund(s). I have found that more cumbersome, and I can never remember if I had to choose Transfer or Trade. IMHO they turned it from an easy-peasy thing to something tougher to do.
Blame some of that on the human factors folk. Talk about nanny state crayola.. I spent hours in meetings trying to decide what color crap should be. I don't know, make it something and I'll fix it. Can't fix what you morons wanna talk about for a year.

Seriously every meeting someone wants to talk about windows putting the shut down option under the start menu.

OK, maybe that's wrong but it had to go somewhere!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:41 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You don't need to go to "trade", just click on the investment and the box opens with a trade button that has a lot of the information prefilled in.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:42 PM   #18

Everyone that keeps mentioning the statements...they don't have statements yet because they just opened the account.
I never have a problem contacting my customer service rep and getting a reply. Even if she is out and I leave a message, someone from her office will call me back to see if they can help.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by COHgirl View Post
I spent an hour on the phone talking to a guy about what we wanted to see with their website. I had a bunch of questions on my list. This was a very good hour! He was very helpful and I learned a few things.

I am very pleased with the customer service from Fidelity so far. (It's only been a week since we first met them and started our transfer!) I've called with questions and had my calls returned promptly.
I left Edward Jones about two months ago. I've also been impressed with Fidelity's customer service. So glad I made the switch.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:41 PM   #20

We have had a Fidelity account for a few years [though we recently closed that account]. With time and playing with the site you should be able to customize it to present the data as you wish.

They are very helpful on the phone.