Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
help, think I need a amended 1040
Old 11-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: near L.A.
Posts: 226
help, think I need a amended 1040

I got a notice(form CP2000) from the IRS stating that I've errors on my 2007 return, the errors were:
1. 2006 state refund omitted. (my mistake, I switched tax software and didn't check my return thoroughly)
2. I made 3 stock trades in 2007 and didn't provide the transaction details in schedule D now the IRS uses zero as the cost basis so now I have a $9k capital gain(wouldn't that be nice !) I don't recall giving every transaction details in the past but then I've made very few trades so my memory is sparse.

after a little googling, it looks like I need to file a 1040x and a corrected 1040. Do I need to attach all documentations(W2, etc) as well? any other pointers? thanks.
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 10,252
If you used tax software for that return, it should have an option to file an amended return.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Helen's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,747
Yes, I messed something up and called the IRS about 1040x. When they found out I had used TurboTax she said to pull the 1040x from Turbo Tax. It was really easy to correct the mistake and send in the new form.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,038
I had to file a 1040-X last year. I didn't reattach all the documents, only the forms and attachments that needed amending. (I had forgot a couple of 1099-R forms when I FIREd).

Here is a link that I used for tips:
1040X: Filing an Amended Tax Return Using IRS Form 1040X

Be sure to read the tip on page two under the heading:

The most important part of the entire Form 1040X is Part II

Good luck
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What I learned in 1040 class. Martha FIRE and Money 72 12-22-2005 07:57 PM

» Quick Links

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:30 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.