Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
More and more of my work time at my job with MegaCorp is being consumed by tasks like managing "TPS reports". It's mind numbing.

It makes it hard to come to work each day, dealing with the drudgery.

It's not that hard to do the work. It's just useless.
I just tell myself they are paying me good money to do this.

Still .. some days I just want to give my notice and retire.

I hope I can keep my sanity another 3 years or so before I retire.

Anyone else at this stage??
Today my entire day was consumed writing and/or attending status meetings. I kid you not two people requested a status update as I was working on the status reports for them, then I got interrupted to go to a status meeting, where I was asked to provide a status report which delayed me doing my other status reports. This is why I don't suggest putting your money in a bank, we have too many status reports.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of our "TPS reports" (yeah, at this Megacorp there are more than one) are reporting on activities tied to client projects. Every time we get new upper management and/or get hit with a reorganization they want use to change what we report. But rather than have someone change and enhance the reporting form, they just want us to use report fields in ways they are not meant to be used, because the perception is that it is easier to train a hundred people to perform unnatural acts than a half-dozen executives. Do not do it exactly right, you name doesn't show up on the summary reports, execs think you are not doing anything, and you end up on the next layoff list.

At one point I pointed out that three sets of fields essentially contained duplicate information, why not just have use report it once. The response was "the summary report process that reads the reports you peons staffers submit doesn't read the other fields". So why not change the summary report so that it will? I stupidly asked. "We do not have the staff to maintain the report structure, so we have to limit changes. besides, it is only about a minute of your time at worst".
Old 09-08-2017, 03:31 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For the most part, once I reached FI, I sort of relaxed and let most of the BS just roll off my back. My boss was in just about the same spot, so I didn't have a "bad attitude" I just didn't have an attitude the last several years. I'm sure it cost me some money (pay raises - wasn't even considering a promotion in those final days). I did the stuff I thought needed to be done and schlocked through the other c--p. I scheduled every dental appt., Dr. appt., plant trip, etc. etc. during usual staff meeting times. One time, I got up in the middle of staff and walked out as if I had a reason. Instead, I just went to my desk and went to ER.org for a couple of hours. It was wonderful. The only time I ever wished I had a pager was during staff. Those who had need of one usually had someone call them to go "put out an imaginary fire." What fun!

If all else failed, I'd work on TPS reports (or the flavor of the day) and realize I was being remunerated $1 a minute (with bennies) for my "efforts." Heh, heh, it made a trip to the bathroom a truly productive part of my day! YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:45 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Today my entire day was consumed writing and/or attending status meetings. I kid you not two people requested a status update as I was working on the status reports for them, then I got interrupted to go to a status meeting, where I was asked to provide a status report which delayed me doing my other status reports. This is why I don't suggest putting your money in a bank, we have too many status reports.
It's not just the banks. It is everywhere. I am convinced this will lead to the fall of western civilization. You know how we debate the causes for the fall of the Roman Empire? 1000 years from now the debate will be about us. Someone will write a book (in whatever form that will be in the future) titled "TPS Reports and the Fall of the Western World".
Popeye is online now   Reply With Quote