Join Early Retirement Today

Help ... too many TPS reports!!!
Old 09-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Help ... too many TPS reports!!!

More and more of my work time at my job with MegaCorp is being consumed by tasks like managing "TPS reports". It's mind numbing.

It makes it hard to come to work each day, dealing with the drudgery.

It's not that hard to do the work. It's just useless.
I just tell myself they are paying me good money to do this.

Still .. some days I just want to give my notice and retire.

I hope I can keep my sanity another 3 years or so before I retire.

Anyone else at this stage??

albireo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got to a similar stage several years ago, and it was pretty tough trudging into the office every morning in the final few years leading up to leaving the job and joining the ranks of the semi-retired.

I knew I was FI, so that helped because I just did the minimum needed to get my work done and was mentally focused on other, more interesting things. But at the same time, it was pretty annoying dealing with all that "TPS report" kind of stuff, because I knew I was already in a position not to have to put up with those kinds of annoyances.

My only suggestion would be to focus on the good stuff in your office and spend as little time and energy as possible on the negative, annoying stuff. Constantly remind yourself this is a short term situation and just take it as it comes, one day at a time, with as positive an attitude as you can muster.

Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am exactly at the same stage. My job has become a quagmire of paperwork and I'm also hoping to hang on for about 3 more years before I retire.
greengo523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am in this position as well. Fortunately, I am able to work from home most of the time, which helps.
courtjustshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

For whatever reason, as your FIRE date gets closer, staying put seems to get more difficult. Human psychology is interesting.

So no, you're not unusual in that regard. If you can, look for some ways to find meaning in your work as you approach the finish line. Mentor a younger person, or take on a riskier project, or... ??

If all goes well this will be a very temporary problem. 😉
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #6

Definitely went through this for last 5yrs before retiring st Megacorp. It just got worse and worse. Multiple overlapping reports that were absurd. We had two inventory reports to submit and my boss told us we could quit doing one of them. Turns out he forgot to submit one quarter and decided to wait for a request. Request never came. He waited a year before telling us to quit doing them. The crazy paperwork was interfering with the real work. I suspect many colleagues were faking the info. I'm pretty sure I destroyed some brain cells doing that crap. I wish I could've been better at letting things roll off my back. I quit because I didn't want to be that guy going around with a chip on my shoulder. Once I had a definite date targeted to ER, it got easier to put up with the nonsense.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortInSeattle View Post
For whatever reason, as your FIRE date gets closer, staying put seems to get more difficult. Human psychology is interesting.
It seems this can go both ways... some people find it more difficult to deal with the BS bucket as the FIRE date approaches, whereas other people seem to reach the point where the BS doesn't bother them anymore because they know they can walk away anytime and they just let it roll off their back.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
It seems this can go both ways... some people find it more difficult to deal with the BS bucket as the FIRE date approaches, whereas other people seem to reach the point where the BS doesn't bother them anymore because they know they can walk away anytime and they just let it roll off their back.
I have good and bad days. But man, the TPS reports problem can crush your spirit. I know exactly what OP is talking about.
JoeWras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm finding it very hard to invest in anything at work other than basic requirements.
I just do not want to waste any of my energy on it anymore.
albireo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:26 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

What is a TPS report?
Old 09-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
What is a TPS report?
I have no idea either! Some folks are so entrenched in their world they don't realize that not everyone is familiar with their lingo. The other day, there was a thread where some vidogame programmer used a seven-digit acronym like MRSPORD or something WTF?
euro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #12

Quote:
What is a TPS report?
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:13 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Many TPS reports in my career!

My favorite was the "budget vs actual comparison report" where I had to come up with a reason why actual expense varied from budget. One time it was very obvious that whomever prepared the budget had no clue what they were doing, so I put in a explanation that the "budget was wrong". OMG, you'd think I committed some crime or something. My boss (and his boss) both came back and told me that we couldn't just say the budget was wrong and to make up some other reason. Found out later, the VP's pretty girlfriend did the budget.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Patrick has it right. A TPS report is not an exact thing. It fits any profession. It is generally useless drivel demanded to you by an unseen "higher up" that your direct manager beats out of you.

This is well played in "Office Space," where the name came from. In the movie,
we never know what a TPS report is technically, but spiritually, we know. Boy do we know.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Starting threads using acronyms that many people don't have a clue what it stands for is my PET PEEVE of the day!
Old 09-06-2017, 02:47 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Starting threads using acronyms that many people don't have a clue what it stands for is my PET PEEVE of the day!
But that's the whole point!

Most of the time, those of us writing TPS reports don't even know what they are or what they stand for.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
But that's the whole point!

Most of the time, those of us writing TPS reports don't even know what they are or what they stand for.
Now that I think about this, once upon a time, I may have written some too!!
Old 09-07-2017, 05:22 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

one of my favorite gags when encountering new "fresh out of college" kids that my employer would hire - would be to approach them at the end of their 1st week and ask if they had finished their "TPS reports" - had over 80% reply "wow I didn't know that was a real thing"
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:09 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
one of my favorite gags when encountering new "fresh out of college" kids that my employer would hire - would be to approach them at the end of their 1st week and ask if they had finished their "TPS reports" - had over 80% reply "wow I didn't know that was a real thing"
That's awesome!
Old 09-07-2017, 07:22 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Even though I worked in government, there weren't that many TPS-type things. Some things felt TPS-ish, but I understood the reasons behind them so it didn't seem so onerous.

Now, OTOH...whenever I hear "strategy" or "planning" I feel relieved that I am no longer on the hook for enormous, complex, committee-driven plans, that go through many levels of stern review and then get shelved. In my part-time job, I am not allowed to get involved in such things

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote