Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Help us rescue our managed funds
Old 09-17-2006, 04:39 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would put it all in at once since you already are in and studies show since the markets rise 2/3 of the time trying to put it in over time usually cuts your returns more than the occasional market dip you might catch.
I use 2 newsletters one of which i have been following for over 20 years and continue to do so.I use 2 newsletters because i have different portfolios for my short,medium and long term money and the 2 newsletters give me no overlap by using the same fund in more than one porfolio.I like having active management as well as the hand holding, in the downturns* having input from the newsletters helps my emotions from doing something stupid like bailing.But there is nothing wrong with going the etf route.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2006, 11:28 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Quote:
With 200 stocks, you're as diversified as some mutual funds
Not necessarially Nords. It would be easy to have 200 stocks and have little diversification. There are about 7000 stocks in the US alone. 200/7000 isn't that much.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:33 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
Not necessarially Nords. It would be easy to have 200 stocks and have little diversification. There are about 7000 stocks in the US alone. 200/7000 isn't that much.
Just having 200 stocks isnt any guarantee of alot of diversification.Remember ford is now a finance company first that happens to sell cars.There are so many companies today that have diworsified that its hard to tell what business they are in.What the heck does ge do anymore? While i agree with 200 stocks you got to at least hit it lucky and get some right,it would take doing alot of homework to get the mix just right and knowing just what it is that your companies do..

mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:41 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm a CPA as well, so I feel your pain ... counseling can help get you past the spreadsheet addiction, but it is a long road.

So, roughly 6% per annum returns, pre-tax? Since when? I note your comments re: index funds. Common situation.

The $7K tax hit is so immaterial in the big picture, if you just start with that clean sheet of paper and allocate appropriately, you'll probably be much happier.

Best of luck.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:29 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Probably wrong... it has been many many years since I took portofolio analysis for my MBA, but in fact the 'portfolio' starts to get diversified around 30 stocks... not if they are in the same field etc, but are different type of companies (ie diverse kind of companies)..

We would create a portfolio and do an analysis... add another diverse stock not in the same industries.. and the diversification calulations did not change that much at all... so I would be if these are diverse companies they are pretty diverse...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:32 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, the proof of the question would be to enter all 200 holdings into Financial Engines or M*'s Portfolio X-ray.

You go first...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:48 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Quote:
You go first...
Sorry, I don't have the time, I'm busy that day.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:55 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
neeps, you hit it.* *

When I read your $7K number my jaw dropped.* On a $900K portfolio?* Wow.*

Most of the folks here have large unrealized gains in their portfolios that effectively compound tax-deferred everyday.* That has a huge impact on wealth creation.
I assume the 7K is at the 15% tax rate so the OP is really sitting on 46.6K of cap gains.
Come'on... that's not really that bad. The S&P 500 has been flat going back 7 years.
My numbers aren't much better, 130K on 1.25M.
I want to hear from the folks with the "large unrealized gains in their portfolios".
Just how big is it?

dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:38 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi
I assume the 7K is at the 15% tax rate so the OP is really sitting on 46.6K of cap gains.
Come'on... that's not really that bad. The S&P 500 has been flat going back 7 years.
My numbers aren't much better, 130K on 1.25M.
I want to hear from the folks with the "large unrealized gains in their portfolios".
Just how big is it?
Close, $47.6k unrealized gain left in the accounts. $19k of gain already realized this year (in addition to the $47.6k). Selling up means total gain of $66.6k this year.
Gillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:32 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeps
Close, $47.6k unrealized gain left in the accounts. $19k of gain already realized this year (in addition to the $47.6k). Selling up means total gain of $66.6k this year.
Is the $47.6 unrealized a "net number"? You have claimed all your losses going back? Otherwise, maybe a little tax loss selling can mitigate things...........

A$47.6K is not a lot on a $900K portfolio...............a little better than 5%...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote