Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-12-2016, 08:08 PM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Also, someone mentioned consumerism in our country and I can't quite understand the "sticker" craze. It started with Apple stickers on cars, then it was Mossy Oak (at least here in the south) and now I am seeing Yeti cooler stickers everywhere. I don't get it? You like Apple products and Yeti coolers, so you advertise for them for FREE? I guess I will just put it in the column of "Don't get it".
I *may* have had an Apple logo on a car a few years back. Total nerd badge at the time.

A Mossy Oak sticker, otoh, will *never* adorn anything I own. But don't worry, my brother more than makes up for it. He goes bow hunting with one of the Deer Thugs guys and dresses like this for fun:

I only know about Yeti coolers because we bought one for a departing supervisor recently. I don't know if he will put a sticker on his vehicle or not...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 10:22 PM   #182
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I can't quite understand the "sticker" craze. It started with Apple stickers on cars, then it was Mossy Oak (at least here in the south) and now I am seeing Yeti cooler stickers everywhere. I don't get it?

I follow you. Although I'm afraid this phenomenon predates Apple & Mossy Oak by a few decades. I seem to recall in the 60's that Mooneyes and STP were "the" stickers to have on your car if you were a young guy. And I admit to having been one of them...

But these days I refuse to advertise anything. One time, back in my early 20's, I stopped by my folks' place proudly sporting a brand new "CO-OP" ball cap that I'd just bought at the feed store. Dad asked, "So how much do those boys pay you to do their advertising?" Zinggg! Point made.
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Here is the LOGO
Old 05-12-2016, 11:19 PM   #183

Here is the LOGO

The company make camouflage clothing for hunters
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:33 AM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The thing about cramped airseats is that when you get older and older, you start to ask yourself if the exotic destination you like to visit is worth the contortion you have to endure to get there. Travel or not to travel becomes more of a monetary issue when you think of the expensive seats.

Will I ever have enough money to spend $15K for two business seats without cringing? It does not look likely at this point.
Agree. I won't do long fights without business or first class. I'm 6'4" and often suffer from a bad back. Just not worth it to travel if I am crippled when I get there. Having said that, business class is very expensive so most times we use frequent flyer points. Two trips to Europe coming up using points.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:46 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
We hired an engineer who sold his business and wanted to do some part time work. Very frugal - dressed nice, but not flashy, lived in a 40 year old house, drove an inexpensive car. He asked me what I used to track my investments. I told him Excel and showed him how to use it. He came back to me a few days later with a printing problem. He couldn't get the 10 pages or so of his investments to print properly.
Maybe his investment list was so long because he was an Edward Jones customer.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:39 AM   #186
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Agree. I won't do long fights without business or first class. I'm 6'4" and often suffer from a bad back. Just not worth it to travel if I am crippled when I get there. Having said that, business class is very expensive so most times we use frequent flyer points. Two trips to Europe coming up using points.
Ever thought about fractional private jet ownership like Netjets?
Old 05-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
I was thinking the same thing. When I extricated a friend from the jaws of Ameriprise, they had 15-20 pages of investment statements. Accounts, subaccounts, managed accounts, algorithm-based managed accounts (FEES FEES CHURNING FEES FEES COMMISSIONS!!!), etc. All for ~$100k assets.

Now they are in a three fund portfolio at Vanguard but it took a while to convince the guy that they didn't need dozens of different investments to do well.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:46 AM   #188
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I was thinking the same thing. When I extricated a friend from the jaws of Ameriprise, they had 15-20 pages of investment statements. Accounts, subaccounts, managed accounts, algorithm-based managed accounts (FEES FEES CHURNING FEES FEES COMMISSIONS!!!), etc. All for ~$100k assets.

Now they are in a three fund portfolio at Vanguard but it took a while to convince the guy that they didn't need dozens of different investments to do well.
Now that you mention it, my coworker with the gazillion stocks and the local Edward Jones rep were acquaintances. Our 401k was managed by Edward Jones also.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:51 AM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Now that you mention it, my coworker with the gazillion stocks and the local Edward Jones rep were acquaintances. Our 401k was managed by Edward Jones also.
My condolences. At least you made it to ER in spite of a less than stellar 401k.

I still haven't managed to extricate my parents from their Edward Jones rep. I'd just as soon they pay for their advisor's kids' college education as my own.

Last I heard my dad sold out all of his 401k and possibly some other investments last fall and went to cash when the SP500 was around 1970 (currently 2065).

Fortunately my mom called me in a panic wondering if she should do the same ("of course not mom; stick with your asset allocation, spend your COLA'd govt pension, and get your his and hers SS in a few years and you'll never run out of money").
Old 05-13-2016, 08:15 AM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
I wouldn't say that we do anything to hide our wealth. It's just how I became financially secure. Habits become traits and all that. As well, we have our children to think of and our goal has always been to keep them grounded and be able to take joy from the smallest things in life.
Well put, and my approach also, particularly regarding the kids. Just a modest middle class upbringing. Right now the boys share a 11 year old minivan, even must chip in for their cell phone bill. They know we are comfortable, no money issues because we watch our spending and discourage "extravagant" spending habits. We go out to eat as a family maybe twice a week, but will use coupons, etc and order from the "value" part of any menu.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post

The company make camouflage clothing for hunters
I asked Frank about it yesterday, and he says that yes he has seen it here although only on hunters' trucks. So, I was wrong about it not being seen here. I guess there probably aren't as many hunters in New Orleans as in some other locations within the South, which would explain why I hadn't noticed that logo before. I looked for the decal yesterday as we drove about town, but didn't see one (yet?).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:06 AM   #192
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I do a pretty good job of hiding my wealth.

Cassius King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #193
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius King View Post
I think I do a pretty good job of hiding my wealth.

Yes you do, But are you in a limo?

I hide whatever wealth I have mostly by layering.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 5.55.49 AM.png (1.23 MB, 38 views)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:19 AM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Ever thought about fractional private jet ownership like Netjets?
Have considered it but we use points for overseas trips. Doesn't really seem worth it for North American flights. Might be if we were travelling with kids or friends, but that generally not the case.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #195
Give me a forum ...

I bought these at PayLess. Really.

athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:51 PM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I bought these at PayLess. Really.

With those, you'd be right at home here (Nashville) on Broadway & Second or the Opry!
Old 05-13-2016, 02:06 PM   #197
Full time employment: Posting here.

We always have, and continue to live the lifestyle described in "The Millionaire Next Door". No need to do so anymore, but it got us to the goal so why change drastically?

I suppose I could upgrade the duct tape on my sneakers to a designer brand though, and join the ER "In" crowd.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Duct tape is out. Gorilla glue is in.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Duct tape is out. Gorilla glue is in.
Oh no! (written from the computer below)(thought it was a great way to save money using my yellow duct tape, instead of buying a more expensive computer with more USB ports).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laptop_small.jpg (8.7 KB, 245 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:11 PM   #200
Moderator Emeritus

Duct tape? Nah..

Gorilla Duct Tape is "In":

S-19755.jpg