Hiding Your Wealth (NOT a poll) :)

I think you may be remembering a comment of mine, made on this forum. What I said was that the average size of Nova Scotia lobsters was bigger than Maine lobsters, not better. I think all of them from New England and the Maritimes taste the same (i.e., wonderful!).

No, I remember very specifically reading on the Web that Canadian lobsters come from colder water hence better. Now, I cannot find that posting on the Web. It was most likely from a Canadian. ;)

Anyway, it's probably all bull, since several sources say that Canadian lobsters are often exported down to the US to be sold as Maine lobsters, and that there's no discernible difference between the two.

Moreover, a Web page says that bigger lobsters do not taste as good. The reason is because large lobsters take a longer cooking time for the heat to get to the center, and that toughens the meat on the outside. That makes sense to me. Next time, I will eat two smaller ones instead of a huge one.

I still maintain that Dungeness crab beats all other seafood. And I agree that eating a large lobster may give one a satisfying sense of self-indulgence, but good shrimp can make one's eyes watered with pleasure.

I am in the same boat. I finally have the time and money to do many of the things I always wanted to do in my youth. Many of them are no longer appealing or when I try them they are not fun for me any more...

When I was young, I was happy just drinking some moonshine while snacking on some venison jerky, and life was great. And a group of 5 guys shared a bottle of Napoleon French brandy (not Cognac proper) to celebrate the end of 12th grade, and it was all glorious.

Now, it takes more money for pleasure, and it still does not feel as good. Damn old age!

I like them all. Shrimp, lobsters, scallops, crabs (the whole gamet - King, Tanner, Blue especially softies, dungeness, stone) and whatever else swims or crawls through the seas, rivers and lakes. And even if it doesn't; clams, mussels, oysters.

Also chickens, ducks, geese and turkey's. Beef, pork and lamb too.

There is not much I don't like - :)

I like them all. Shrimp, lobsters, scallops, crabs (the whole gamet - King, Tanner, Blue especially softies, dungeness, stone) and whatever else swims or crawls through the seas, rivers and lakes. And even if it doesn't; clams, mussels, oysters.

Also chickens, ducks, geese and turkey's. Beef, pork and lamb too.

There is not much I don't like - :)

That's actually my problem as well.

I love Dungeness crab, especially the ones that I purchased from the boat of Half Moon Bay. The legs are so huge. However, I would never get them from live tank. Once you eat these wild crabs you never eat the ones from the tank and I haven't for years. I have a delicious recipe from a Napa Valley chef, that will be passed down to my kids as a family heirloom.
I don't like shrimp as much. But oysters are a different story. Our family used to get them from Tomales Bay near SF.
But on a whole I'm a see food person. There is not much I don't like either.

Last edited:
I knew a guy who declared that he had a simple rule: he would not eat anything that swims, crawls, or flies.

That means no seafood of any kind. No duck or birds, though chicken is OK (chicken do not really fly). No snake, eel, escargot, etc... That limited him to beef and pork besides chicken. I don't think he would eat goat or lamb.

This guy missed a lot. But he did not know it. What you don't know can't hurt you, they say.

When I was young, I was happy just drinking some moonshine while snacking on some venison jerky, and life was great. And a group of 5 guys shared a bottle of Napoleon French brandy (not Cognac proper) to celebrate the end of 12th grade, and it was all glorious.

Now, it takes more money for pleasure, and it still does not feel as good. Damn old age!
I think we have this retirement backwards. Maybe we should start out retire first and then work backwards.

This thread reminds me that I need to buy a Yeti before my fishing trip this weekend; thanks.

I think we have this retirement backwards. Maybe we should start out retire first and then work backwards.

You are talking just like a coworker of mine!

He used to lament that people should have free time to travel, or just to hang around being beach bums when they are young. Then, when they can no longer enjoy life in that manner, they will go to work.

Sounds great to me, if you can talk employers into accepting geezers needing afternoon naps into their payroll.

By the way, he did not save, so was still working the last I heard.

Regarding people bragging about cars: I grew up poor, and it was a big deal when someone got a new (or used) car. Everyone would come over and take a ride in it, etc.

When I started hanging around with rich people it shocked me that they never mentioned when they got a new car.

I still do. Old habits die hard.

Oh yeah, NOLA is great. Fresh oysters, gulf shrimp, catfish.

One of the best dishes I ever ate was at Mulatte's (sp) near the convention center and it was a blackened catfish fillet topped with crawfish etouffe. Magnificent!

Give me a big bowl of seafood gumbo (don't forget the andouille) and some crusty garlic bread anytime - :)

Regarding people bragging about cars: I grew up poor, and it was a big deal when someone got a new (or used) car. Everyone would come over and take a ride in it, etc.

When I started hanging around with rich people it shocked me that they never mentioned when they got a new car.

True. I even saw a young friend brag recently, on Facebook, about paying off their car. I smiled. As he indicated, it's an accomplishment in his world.

You are talking just like a coworker of mine!

He used to lament that people should have free time to travel, or just to hang around being beach bums when they are young. Then, when they can no longer enjoy life in that manner, they will go to work.

Sounds great to me, if you can talk employers into accepting geezers needing afternoon naps into their payroll.

By the way, he did not save, so was still working the last I heard.
Haha, I was a beach bum in my younger years. I did work second shift with higher pay. But the truth was the morning shift was very busy in the lab so I volunteer to do second shift.
My husband did take afternoon naps at his last job. There are jobs out there for geezers.

Oh yeah, NOLA is great. Fresh oysters, gulf shrimp, catfish.

One of the best dishes I ever ate was at Mulatte's (sp) near the convention center and it was a blackened catfish fillet topped with crawfish etouffe. Magnificent!

Give me a big bowl of seafood gumbo (don't forget the andouille) and some crusty garlic bread anytime - :)
I love NOLA before Katrina. I've not been back since the 80s.

I grew up poor and most of the bragging seemed to be about how many deer they could hit with their cars. One time, my mom drove around for months with her hood tied down with a rope until she could afford to get it repaired.

I NEVER hear rich people brag about things like that! :D

Honestly, I don't like lobster that much any more for some reason. Well sure, I like all seafood but lobster is nothing special to me.

Now fresh shrimp? THAT, to me, is heavenly. I guess when I choose shrimp instead of lobster, I'm hiding my wealth? :ROFLMAO:
When we were down on Grand Island, we stopped for lunch and I had some of the best shrimp ever! Big and plump and firm! With shrimp like that, I never want lobster!

Big plump shrimp are really good, 2 is all you need;

22556445943_e538dd7548_o.jpg

Yes, I recall now reading about the invasion of giant Asian tiger shrimp. Are these that species?

I have meant to spend time along the Gulf coast the next RV trip to investigate. They are supposedly good eats, and are also found on the Atlantic coast from Florida to North Carolina.

See photo linked from the Web. With shrimp like this, who needs lobster?

giant-shrimp.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Dunno. They are at the grocery store regularly and classed as "under 4", and are 4 to 5 bucks each. When I bought them the counter person reminded me that the price was "each", which was clearly how the sign read but apparently there were a few people that bought a pound and were "shocked" at the checkout. I guess they don't read so well.

Here they are broiled "scampi style" with a side of soy beans;

22815543429_c3093effa9_o.jpg

Dunno. They are at the grocery store regularly and classed as "under 4", and are 4 to 5 bucks each. When I bought them the counter person reminded me that the price was "each", which was clearly how the sign read but apparently there were a few people that bought a pound and were "shocked" at the checkout. I guess they don't read so well.

Here they are broiled "scampi style" with a side of soy beans;
What is that:confused:? That's so expensive!

Here's a fish store where we sometimes buy our shrimp, and I discovered on their website that they do mail order.
http://www.fishermanscoveseafood.com/fresh-louisiana-shrimp-jumbo-sold-by-the-pound/

Last edited:
I like people who are into food and always take photos of their dish. Thumbs up!

Last edited:
Those are 16-20 and are whole. Mine are under 4 and headless/cleaned.

I don't care how expensive they are, I just care about the flavor and ease of preparation.

I like hearing about different people's spending priorities. I guess I save on sea food (can't stand the stuff) and alcohol but indulge in bike gear and travel. As I have gotten older, I have gotten more claustrophobic so indulging on business class seating is a priority even if we need to save on other areas of travel spending. We found a good deal from Montreal to Honolulu where business class was only $500 more than coach - for me that is TOTALLY worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom