Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-18-2016, 07:53 AM   #281
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I've read and heard a lot of really good things about the food in NOLA, this thread is (once again) making me anxious to go visit.
The food here is terrific if you like our spicy cuisine. Warning, if you visit New Orleans you might leave with more pounds than you had when you arrived.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2016, 06:18 PM   #282
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The food here is terrific if you like our spicy cuisine. Warning, if you visit New Orleans you might leave with more pounds than you had when you arrived.
Unless you're a British tourist.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:37 PM   #283
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Unless you're a British tourist.
So true!

Sometimes it's said that our greeting for tourists might as well be, "Welcome to New Orleans! Now spend all your money and go home."

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:38 PM   #284
Recycles dryer sheets

we paid cash for my wife's Honda Accord at the dealer couple months ago, the sale man asked us what we do for a living and my answer was I mow lawn for a living.
targatom2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:04 AM   #285
Give me a forum ...

I think buying a car still is a big deal for most people. I have only ever owned 7 vehicles. (One was a pickup truck and one was bought used. All but two bought with cash...yes, I was so rigidly LBYM in my 20's ((and so fond of working overtime)) that I was able to pay cash for a small car). None of them was anything to brag about, yet I always found that people liked to hear I'd bought a car and wanted to know more about it. A couple of times, people have said things about being surprised I didn't buy a fancier car, but they were just teasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutThere View Post
Regarding people bragging about cars: I grew up poor, and it was a big deal when someone got a new (or used) car. Everyone would come over and take a ride in it, etc.

When I started hanging around with rich people it shocked me that they never mentioned when they got a new car.

I still do. Old habits die hard.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:34 AM   #286
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipertom1970 View Post
we paid cash for my wife's Honda Accord at the dealer couple months ago, the sale man asked us what we do for a living and my answer was I mow lawn for a living.
Nice. I might steal that line one day. I like it.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #287
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Nice. I might steal that line one day. I like it.
I like to glance around and then whisper that we are independently wealthy (the essence of FIRE). Sometimes that leads to attempted upsell and I say that is not how we got wealthy!
Old 05-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #288
Recycles dryer sheets

We practiced delayed gratification from age 30 to 70.
Happy to say now that the delay is over.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #289
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I like to glance around and then whisper that we are independently wealthy (the essence of FIRE). Sometimes that leads to attempted upsell and I say that is not how we got wealthy!
I don't think I'd ever do that at a car dealership! I like to look as poor as possible to maybe get a little sympathy discount. I'd expect my counterparty in a negotiation to use my ability to pay against me when it comes time to arrive at a price.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:41 PM   #290
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I don't think I'd ever do that at a car dealership! I like to look as poor as possible to maybe get a little sympathy discount. I'd expect my counterparty in a negotiation to use my ability to pay against me when it comes time to arrive at a price.
Last time I bought a used car (2008-ish) I went on Valentine's day (unintentionally). After many hours of negotiating got a pretty good deal. As it got closer to 7PM the "finance guy" started to sweat a bit more as I guess he probably had an SO that wasn't too happy about him being TOO late.

Just a suggestion :P
petershk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:46 PM   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by petershk View Post
Last time I bought a used car (2008-ish) I went on Valentine's day (unintentionally). After many hours of negotiating got a pretty good deal. As it got closer to 7PM the "finance guy" started to sweat a bit more as I guess he probably had an SO that wasn't too happy about him being TOO late.

Just a suggestion :P
That borders on being mean!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #292
Give me a forum ...

It's fair.

"Diamonds cut diamonds." - English Proverb.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:51 PM   #293
Give me a forum ...

Another good time to buy a car is right at end of month. It makes their numbers look better to not have to carry inventory for another month and the sales guy might just need to make his "quota bonus"
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:53 PM   #294
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Yet most people acknowledge that it is the truly rich who are careful with their money. So it is all about best price and forget about the financing profit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by petershk
Last car we bought for Dad was negotiated at 5:30 on the last day of the month. You could see the guys saying: "What the hell, let's get that volume discount for the month!" and we got it for our offer price.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:58 PM   #295
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
That borders on being mean!
Which side of the border .
I WISH I could say I did it on purpose ... goes to show how aware I am of holidays and important dates.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
petershk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:26 PM   #296

I'm too impatient to be waiting in a car dealer. I negotiate online for weeks and months. Once I get a deal I like, I just come in and sign the paperwork. I got a great deal and bargain. No complain. I've been buying like this for years.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:46 AM   #297
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I was bicycling through the parking lot of an upscale shopping plaza and passed a 30-something guy standing beside his Maserati (I think) convertible parked at the curb near Nordstrom's. I wondered if this was a way to pick up women. We ignored each other. I've got great legs but also have grey hair, so prob not his type. My side- we don't share the same priorities. Unless he had multimillions, meaning that the car was only a tiny % of his net worth, he wasn't my type, either!
OTOH, he could have been a young, hard-working, successful entrepreneur who decided to treat himself to some nice wheels since he worked so hard and was picking up his wife who was late... as you pedaled by he nonchalantly eyed you and thought "ah... nice legs.... I wish she was 25 years younger"!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:02 AM   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I talked earlier about reading that Nova Scotia lobster is better than in Maine, because the water is colder. Search the Web again, and now I cannot find that info. Instead, I read several saying Maine lobster is better. An equal number says they are the same. This makes more sense. In any case, I doubt that my palate can tell.
There is an article in today's Portland Maine paper regarding Maine lobster and the fact that it commands a premium in restaurants if it is from Maine. Maine lobstering is conducted under very restrictive rules regarding how they are caught and what sizes they must be, thus protecting the stock and preventing decline of the industry. The Maine lobster has to be at least a certain size and must be thrown back if under that size or if it is a prolific breeder. Stewardship of the industry is proudly practiced. And oh by the way, the bigger the lobster, the tougher it is. I would eat two smaller lobsters rather than a 2+ pounder as the smaller are sweeter and more succulent. And of course hard shelled versus soft shelled are fuller, not necessarily tastier. Four of us feasted on four 1.5 pound hard shelled lobsters a couple of nights ago. Cost $48 for 4, not cheap by any means, but a good value if you love lobster, especially dunked in drawn butter😋
Hiding Your Wealth (NOT a poll) :)
Old 05-21-2016, 07:12 AM   #299

Hiding Your Wealth (NOT a poll) :)

I'm wading a few feet from shore tossing my lure (a crocodile) into the jones beach inlet with the hopes of finding striped bass or blue fish. A 40ft cigarette boat comes flying by, loud, obnoxious and in my eyes -useless. A mindless, conspicuous display of wealth and nothing more. Turn the key point the nose and go. It screamed hey look at me. Impractical and a waste of our limited oil. The fish are spooked and I'm more then annoyed but It is a beautiful day, I'm in no rush and I know bluefish are a ravenous lot.

I didn't hear her until she was nearly abreast of me - a 40ft something sloop. Both mainsail and jib taught in the steady breeze. She was moving along, silent, stealthy, beautiful and substantial. Oh she too cost a pretty penny but she could sail to Bermuda on little or no fuel, just skill and experience - she was a delight to the senses.

Wealth like most things in life is a choice: the ugly conspicuous cigarette boat or the beauty and stealth of the sailboat. No matter how much I fantasize , in the end, I always opt for the sailboat.

Timex watch, modest reliable cars, No toys -I chose to leave no wake.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:31 AM   #300
Moderator Emeritus

Well said, rayinpenn. And your post is novelesque!
I would opt for the sailboat as well.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote