Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2016, 12:15 PM   #321
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
My go to Vietnamese store near City Market in Kansas City closed - the closest I could come to New Orleans Po-Boy bread.

Can I afford to import? Sure but it is Painful.

heh heh heh - nothing I've found up North comes close - even the daily Vietnamese loves were only semi-close. Driving down for Leidenheimer's ZIP loaves hasn't anything to do with wealth/leisure. Just a slight obsession.
Finding decent bread for po'boys up there is a real problem. Honestly I looked and looked and didn't find anything suitable in Springfield.

I am wondering if maybe your new bride or you can learn to bake good French bread at home. Perfection is hard to achieve, but "good enough" might not be that tough. If you can bake acceptable bread at home, that would take care of that problem for good.

Not only that, your bread would be very fresh, and you know what a difference that makes. And oh, the smell of fresh bread baking.... ah!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #322
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Reminds me of a Rolls Royce incident a few months ago. I brought DW to the seamstress shop. A 30 wish guy pulls up in a nice Rolls. Gets out and brings a few pairs of jeans in to be hemmed. Really? What man has his jeans hemmed?
Maybe he bought them at Goodwill (kidding). Not to mention foofoo designer jeans cost a ton of money, and he is probably paying extra for a special hemming technique that will keep the original hem.

Re noisy boats, cars, motorcycles, gyms with loud music, stores that feel compelled to have music blaring through speakers mounted on the outside of their building--they all should be spanked and fined. Noise pollution.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:44 PM   #323

I used to know a guy with not one, but two Rolls-Royces. Different colors, to go with whatever he wanted to wear that day. He drove them himself, no chauffeur.

But the point is that everyone would see him and wave cheerily at him. He was the biggest philanthropist in the region, and gave so much money to good causes that he was universally beloved.

Based on that one experience, I can look at people with what for me would be extreme levels of luxury possessions and not judge them critically at all. Of course, if their behavior merited disparagement, that would be a different story.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #324
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is actually another good reason to keep a low profile: becoming a target of crime.

Back when I worked in Silicon Valley there were a number of kidnappings of tech executives. It was keep fairly quiet, but I do know that security got bumped up substantial at a number of companies.

I also know someone who was visiting an African country and staying with family for a couple of weeks. People noticed the "rich white folks" and broke in at night and robbed them. Not fun.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:08 PM   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
I realize sometimes I do too good a job hiding my wealth. More than one time I've been offered help to get on assistance if I needed..it isn't that hard you know.. you politely decline.. I'll manage.. but you always get that bleeding heart person that just won't accept no because they think your embarrassed and I end up feeling guilty.

I may have to re-think what I look like when I go out... ie like when some guy at Aldis gives you his cart and wont' accept your quarter to help you out... hmm maybe I've gone too far. hoping he's just being nice or doesn't want to bother with a quarter in his pocket.

LOL.. Almost hate to admit this one but....
I once tried to put a dollar in a homeless mans cup and was told "We don't take from our own."
Old 05-23-2016, 02:07 PM   #326
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
There is actually another good reason to keep a low profile: becoming a target of crime.

I agree. I wear a Rolex watch but am usually dressed in jeans or shorts and one of my growing collection of freebie T-shirts from athletic events. I'm sure people figure the watch is a knock-off. Fine with me.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:14 PM   #327

Quote:

Back when I worked in Silicon Valley there were a number of kidnappings of tech executives. It was keep fairly quiet, but I do know that security got bumped up substantial at a number of companies.

I also know someone who was visiting an African country and staying with family for a couple of weeks. People noticed the "rich white folks" and broke in at night and robbed them. Not fun.
I don't remember that. When was it? I didn't hear Steve jobs have any security guards, I've only recently heard Zuckerberg have them.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:08 PM   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucantes View Post
To each their own, I would prefer the "ugly conspicuous cigarette boat" if I had to choose. Luckily I don't as I have never been much interested in owning a boat, although I like friends who do!

Me too,
Personally I thought this article was beyond stupid.

What I don't like is the "assumptions" that are made when people spend money. case in point. cars. Yes, I love my tacky,brand new luxury mobile. I drive 50 miles each way in major city traffic and since I have to do it I enjoy my comforts. yet I am constantly informed how financially irresponsible I am because I don't drive (and god willing will never drive) a 10 year old beater or truck.

So I don't think I necessarily flaunt my wealth but neither am I denying myself because some one else may hit me up for a loan.

So no I am not changing what I drive in public, i am not lying about some thing being fake. first of all who goes around asking perfect strangers if their articles are real or fake? If someone asks me where I got my shoes, I'm telling them. if they can't deal with it . tough!

He has problems with people hitting him up for assistance?? that's why God invented the word no. In my family we have the usual leaches, lol they know NOT to call me. they know unless hell is freezing over i'm not giving them any cash. never
nhave any issues.
Personally I don't think this guy has a wealth problem i think he's got a "people" problem. "dumb" yourself down? really? all the wealthy folks I know are successful in their fields and they are NOT about to appear stupid because someone can't handle it. I guess this guys also tells his daughters to act stupid so the boys will like them.

I love how at the end how he says "good" relationships are about being genuine after he spent an entire article on how to be FAKE
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #329
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I don't remember that. When was it? I didn't hear Steve jobs have any security guards, I've only recently heard Zuckerberg have them.
Just because you didn't hear about Steve Jobs' bodyguards doesn't mean they weren't there. Just exercising stealth.

Oh, and I'll take the kayak or canoe over that cigarillo boat or 40' sloop. Much stealthier. Dip your paddle in just right and you won't make a noise. Easier to sneak up on waterfowl and reptiles.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:21 PM   #330
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
I realize sometimes I do too good a job hiding my wealth. More than one time I've been offered help to get on assistance if I needed..it isn't that hard you know.. you politely decline.. I'll manage.. but you always get that bleeding heart person that just won't accept no because they think your embarrassed and I end up feeling guilty.

I may have to re-think what I look like when I go out... ie like when some guy at Aldis gives you his cart and wont' accept your quarter to help you out... hmm maybe I've gone too far. hoping he's just being nice or doesn't want to bother with a quarter in his pocket.

Pay it forward is pretty common practice at Aldi's. I gave an acquaintance a strong endorsement for Aldi's when they opened their first store around here. She's a single mom working part time at my favorite watering hole and I know she's just getting by. Next time I saw her she griped about the quarter cart "scam" and declared the store was beneath her anyway and I actually felt like crap.....but just for a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
The most dramatic one was Adobe's Chuck Geschke back in 1992.

F.B.I. Rescues a Kidnapped Businessman - NYTimes.com
A dramatic kidnapping revisited
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Just because you didn't hear about Steve Jobs' bodyguards doesn't mean they weren't there. Just exercising stealth.

Oh, and I'll take the kayak or canoe over that cigarillo boat or 40' sloop. Much stealthier. Dip your paddle in just right and you won't make a noise. Easier to sneak up on waterfowl and reptiles.
It would have made the news. I'm sure. Just like Zuckerberg.

I found this from Quora, apparently it's not common.
https://www.quora.com/How-common-are...Silicon-Valley
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #333
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:
"After a gentlemanly discussion he agreed to do the right thing and to take us to where Mr. Geschke was being held by Mr. Sayeh," Mr. Held said.
Interesting description of waterboarding and fingernail removal.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:51 PM   #334
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Part II: Two days of terror, uncertainty.

Part III: Chuck's dramatic rescue

Part IV: Aftermath of a kidnapping

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #335
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post

Me too,

"dumb" yourself down? really? all the wealthy folks I know are successful in their fields and they are NOT about to appear stupid because someone can't handle it. I guess this guys also tells his daughters to act stupid so the boys will like them.
Yes, +100. I bet smart girls everywhere still hear this advice--it demeans them and also the people they are dumbing themselves down for. And smart boys, too. Worst thing about the article.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:44 PM   #336
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post

Me too,
What I don't like is the "assumptions" that are made when people spend money. case in point. cars. Yes, I love my tacky,brand new luxury mobile. I drive 50 miles each way in major city traffic and since I have to do it I enjoy my comforts. yet I am constantly informed how financially irresponsible I am because I don't drive (and god willing will never drive) a 10 year old beater or truck.
So I don't think I necessarily flaunt my wealth but neither am I denying myself because some one else may hit me up for a loan.
So no I am not changing what I drive in public, i am not lying about some thing being fake. first of all who goes around asking perfect strangers if their articles are real or fake? If someone asks me where I got my shoes, I'm telling them. if they can't deal with it . tough!
He has problems with people hitting him up for assistance?? that's why God invented the word no. In my family we have the usual leaches, lol they know NOT to call me. they know unless hell is freezing over i'm not giving them any cash. never
nhave any issues.
Personally I don't think this guy has a wealth problem i think he's got a "people" problem. "dumb" yourself down? really? all the wealthy folks I know are successful in their fields and they are NOT about to appear stupid because someone can't handle it. I guess this guys also tells his daughters to act stupid so the boys will like them.
I love how at the end how he says "good" relationships are about being genuine after he spent an entire article on how to be FAKE
+1
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:39 AM   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
One of the first things I asked about the lake behind our house when we were considering buying the house was whether power craft were allowed. No. (It' sonly a 3-acre lake.) That was the right answer.

I LOVE my kayak! I like to sneak up on birds so I can watch them.

I love it.. Seems to me we all should the enjoy the right of tranquilly ...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Hiding Your Wealth (NOT a poll) :)
Old 05-24-2016, 04:51 AM   #338

Hiding Your Wealth (NOT a poll) :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover

a Lexus or what ever isnt a cigarette boat -
1. durable, and functional
2. smooth and quiet(for the most part)
3. classy and refined
4. Conspicuoius naah those dammed cars all look alike to me.
5. prob cost less than 80 grand new ... a cigarette is easily ten times that.

3 times a week I pass a 'soup kitchen' - the poor souls are lined up for their morning breakfast. Sometimes there are women with children on line. For me it seems a bit insensitive to think about a flashy car when there are so many with so little and it is a sad reminder that circumstances can quickly change... Naah no flashily car but if you have one enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:40 AM   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
a Lexus or what ever isnt a cigarette boat -
1. durable, and functional
2. smooth and quiet(for the most part)
3. classy and refined
4. Conspicuoius naah those dammed cars all look alike to me.
5. prob cost less than 80 grand new ... a cigarette is easily ten times that.

3 times a week I pass a 'soup kitchen' - the poor souls are lined up for their morning breakfast. Sometimes there are women with children on line. For me it seems a bit insensitive to think about a flashy car when there are so many with so little and it is a sad reminder that circumstances can quickly change... Naah no flashily car but if you have one enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
And I totally get that, I live in Philadelphia, some times the "in your face" disparity between poverty and even middle class is heart breaking. So I take a more "what can I do to make my little corner of the world better" approach and act on it.
If I'm driving down Vine street to get on I95, am I now insensitive to the homeless guys because I'm in a Mercedes? is it any less insensitive if I take my kids Nissan?? and how far do I go with this? I'm participating in a 5 mile fun run for the food bank, since I suffer from plantar fasciitis, good running show are a must. no options. am I insensitive now because I've got 150 dollar sneakers and many kids during the summer go hungry in the city?

I really understand your empathy and actually warms my heart since nowadays the poor are often treated as if invisible, I just wonder to what degree do I know change

Wasn't the point of working hard. lbym and saving, to actually have MORE freedom not less?? We have tons of folks who zoom up and down the delaware around Penns landing in the speed boats, I don't buy because we have homeless not 200 ftt away on Columbus blvd they should now "hide" them. they look like a lot of fun to me
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:43 AM   #340
Give me a forum ...

She may be just getting by, but she has her standards! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Pay it forward is pretty common practice at Aldi's. I gave an acquaintance a strong endorsement for Aldi's when they opened their first store around here. She's a single mom working part time at my favorite watering hole and I know she's just getting by. Next time I saw her she griped about the quarter cart "scam" and declared the store was beneath her anyway and I actually felt like crap.....but just for a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote