Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-17-2016, 12:16 PM   #241
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I never eat tilapia. I don't care for catfish either. But lobster used to be my favorite food. I stopped by an Italian fish market or lobster place everyday when I was living in New England. It also bring back memories of clam digging in Price Edwards Island. I don't remember what lobster taste like in New Brunswick either but I love Canada. Will be back next year.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I talked earlier about reading that Nova Scotia lobster is better than in Maine, because the water is colder.

Search the Web again, and now I cannot find that info. Instead, I read several saying Maine lobster is better. An equal number says they are the same. This makes more sense. In any case, I doubt that my palate can tell.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #243
Moderator Emeritus

Honestly, I don't like lobster that much any more for some reason. Well sure, I like all seafood but lobster is nothing special to me.

Now fresh shrimp? THAT, to me, is heavenly. I guess when I choose shrimp instead of lobster, I'm hiding my wealth?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #244
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Honestly, I don't like lobster that much any more for some reason. Well sure, I like all seafood but lobster is nothing special to me.

Now fresh shrimp? THAT, to me, is heavenly.
And you sure live in the right place for that, eh?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:59 PM   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I talked earlier about reading that Nova Scotia lobster is better than in Maine, because the water is colder.

Search the Web again, and now I cannot find that info. Instead, I read several saying Maine lobster is better. An equal number says they are the same. This makes more sense. In any case, I doubt that my palate can tell.
I think you may be remembering a comment of mine, made on this forum. What I said was that the average size of Nova Scotia lobsters was bigger than Maine lobsters, not better. I think all of them from New England and the Maritimes taste the same (i.e., wonderful!).
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:04 PM   #246
Full time employment: Posting here.

All this talk of shellfish is making my cholesterol go up. I used to love it so......now just in moderation.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
All this talk of shellfish is making my cholesterol go up. I used to love it so......now just in moderation.
For what it's worth, the feds are no longer telling American's to cut their dietary cholesterol consumption:

Scientific Report of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee:
Quote:
Cholesterol. Previously, the Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommended that cholesterol intake be limited to no more than 300 mg/day. The 2015 DGAC will not bring forward this recommendation because available evidence shows no appreciable relationship between consumption of dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol, consistent with the conclusions of the AHA/ACC report.2 35 Cholesterol is not a nutrient of concern for overconsumption.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #248

I used to love tilapia... until I saw that Dirty Jobs episode about striped bass... where I learned more about tilapia than bass.

Dirty Jobs: Striped Bass Farm | HowStuffWorks
Old 05-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #249
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At this point, what I desire for enjoyment becomes fewer and fewer. And I do not think this problem of mine is unique.
I am in the same boat. I finally have the time and money to do many of the things I always wanted to do in my youth. Many of them are no longer appealing or when I try them they are not fun for me any more. I also have a hard time parting with the money to do some of them, but increasingly I come to the realization that it is effectively now or never. I took a buddy on a guided hog hunt over the weekend for his 40th birthday. Hard to part with the $1200+, but we had a blast, I nailed a couple of hogs, and we were in a beautiful place for the whole time. Will I enjoy this or be able to do it in 20 years? I don't know, and increasingly I don't want to find out the hard way that fun stuff to do no longer is.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:34 PM   #250
Recycles dryer sheets

I hide our 'wealth' by driving a 17 year old car, and i love it!
SAtoUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:35 PM   #251
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I think you may be remembering a comment of mine, made on this forum. What I said was that the average size of Nova Scotia lobsters was bigger than Maine lobsters, not better. I think all of them from New England and the Maritimes taste the same (i.e., wonderful!).
No, I remember very specifically reading on the Web that Canadian lobsters come from colder water hence better. Now, I cannot find that posting on the Web. It was most likely from a Canadian.

Anyway, it's probably all bull, since several sources say that Canadian lobsters are often exported down to the US to be sold as Maine lobsters, and that there's no discernible difference between the two.

Moreover, a Web page says that bigger lobsters do not taste as good. The reason is because large lobsters take a longer cooking time for the heat to get to the center, and that toughens the meat on the outside. That makes sense to me. Next time, I will eat two smaller ones instead of a huge one.

I still maintain that Dungeness crab beats all other seafood. And I agree that eating a large lobster may give one a satisfying sense of self-indulgence, but good shrimp can make one's eyes watered with pleasure.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-17-2016, 01:42 PM   #252
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I am in the same boat. I finally have the time and money to do many of the things I always wanted to do in my youth. Many of them are no longer appealing or when I try them they are not fun for me any more...
When I was young, I was happy just drinking some moonshine while snacking on some venison jerky, and life was great. And a group of 5 guys shared a bottle of Napoleon French brandy (not Cognac proper) to celebrate the end of 12th grade, and it was all glorious.

Now, it takes more money for pleasure, and it still does not feel as good. Damn old age!

Old 05-17-2016, 01:43 PM   #253
Give me a forum ...

I like them all. Shrimp, lobsters, scallops, crabs (the whole gamet - King, Tanner, Blue especially softies, dungeness, stone) and whatever else swims or crawls through the seas, rivers and lakes. And even if it doesn't; clams, mussels, oysters.

Also chickens, ducks, geese and turkey's. Beef, pork and lamb too.

There is not much I don't like -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #254
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I like them all. Shrimp, lobsters, scallops, crabs (the whole gamet - King, Tanner, Blue especially softies, dungeness, stone) and whatever else swims or crawls through the seas, rivers and lakes. And even if it doesn't; clams, mussels, oysters.

Also chickens, ducks, geese and turkey's. Beef, pork and lamb too.

There is not much I don't like -
That's actually my problem as well.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:49 PM   #255

I love Dungeness crab, especially the ones that I purchased from the boat of Half Moon Bay. The legs are so huge. However, I would never get them from live tank. Once you eat these wild crabs you never eat the ones from the tank and I haven't for years. I have a delicious recipe from a Napa Valley chef, that will be passed down to my kids as a family heirloom.
I don't like shrimp as much. But oysters are a different story. Our family used to get them from Tomales Bay near SF.
But on a whole I'm a see food person. There is not much I don't like either.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #256
Give me a forum ...

I knew a guy who declared that he had a simple rule: he would not eat anything that swims, crawls, or flies.

That means no seafood of any kind. No duck or birds, though chicken is OK (chicken do not really fly). No snake, eel, escargot, etc... That limited him to beef and pork besides chicken. I don't think he would eat goat or lamb.

This guy missed a lot. But he did not know it. What you don't know can't hurt you, they say.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:56 PM   #257

Quote:
When I was young, I was happy just drinking some moonshine while snacking on some venison jerky, and life was great. And a group of 5 guys shared a bottle of Napoleon French brandy (not Cognac proper) to celebrate the end of 12th grade, and it was all glorious.

Now, it takes more money for pleasure, and it still does not feel as good. Damn old age!
I think we have this retirement backwards. Maybe we should start out retire first and then work backwards.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:51 PM   #258
Recycles dryer sheets

This thread reminds me that I need to buy a Yeti before my fishing trip this weekend; thanks.
AboutThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:51 PM   #259
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I think we have this retirement backwards. Maybe we should start out retire first and then work backwards.
You are talking just like a coworker of mine!

He used to lament that people should have free time to travel, or just to hang around being beach bums when they are young. Then, when they can no longer enjoy life in that manner, they will go to work.

Sounds great to me, if you can talk employers into accepting geezers needing afternoon naps into their payroll.

By the way, he did not save, so was still working the last I heard.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #260
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
And you sure live in the right place for that, eh?
You've got that right, for sure! Yet another reason why I am glad we decided to stay in Louisiana after all.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote