Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

JPMorgan Chase 3% 10-Year CD
Old 01-26-2017, 08:00 AM   #181
Dryer sheet aficionado

JPMorgan Chase 3% 10-Year CD

I noticed on Fidelity that JPMorgan Chase is offering a 3% 10-Year CD although it doesn't appear that you have the ability to make any early withdrawals prior to maturity. I am considering moving some $ that is currently in a bond fund in my tIRA and Roth IRA to this but wanted to get some feedback from others as to whether this might be jumping the gun since I will be locked into this for 10 years (even though I have no plans of using these funds during that period). Thanks!
CountingDown2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #182
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown2014 View Post
I noticed on Fidelity that JPMorgan Chase is offering a 3% 10-Year CD although it doesn't appear that you have the ability to make any early withdrawals prior to maturity. I am considering moving some $ that is currently in a bond fund in my tIRA and Roth IRA to this but wanted to get some feedback from others as to whether this might be jumping the gun since I will be locked into this for 10 years (even though I have no plans of using these funds during that period). Thanks!
Andrews Federal Credit Union has a 7 year cert. earning 3% that has mild early withdrawal fees. It is a little ornery joining but was worth it to me. Rates are rising, and I don't think I'd go 10 years today, and I might even rethink 7 years(but I did mine 6 months ago).
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Backdoor for Navy Federal CU Membership
Old 01-26-2017, 08:26 AM   #183
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Backdoor for Navy Federal CU Membership

I just saw this for the first time. Not sure if it is new or maybe I just missed it.

https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog...embership.html
Old 01-26-2017, 08:30 AM   #184
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ten years is a mighty long time. I do not think I would lock it up for that long.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:55 AM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
My account is still not open, even though my application was approved several days ago. I don't think I'm going to be able to get funds transferred in time with banks being closed on Monday. This has taken far longer than I expected.
Well, I had given up on Andrews since I got no indication on how to set up my account online, and couldn't reach anybody by phone (>1 hr waits on the phone don't work when you are surrounded by family during the holidays and switching lodging several times). So when they sent me a survey, I expressed my frustration with the process, laid out my plans, and explained that I was out of time to transfer funds to buy the CDs I wanted.

To my great surprise, I got a call from an Andrews FCU branch manager last week who had read my survey comments, and told me I was still eligible to open those CDs I wanted since I had opened my account before 12/31/16 with intent to buy those Holiday Special CDs. He helped me set up online access, and asked me which CD I wanted. I was able to transfer the funds and saw the CD available in the list for me to open. Was able to complete my transactions online.

So, I was able to get the certificates I wanted after all. That was really a nice save for both of us. I was very impressed to get a personal phone call from Andrews FCU and have them set things up for me to correct the problems I encountered.

Oh this is funny! Andrews FCU has just made that 84 month 3% CD available again according to Deposit Accounts. https://www.depositaccounts.com/bank...-union/offers/

Yep - for both IRA and regular accounts. It's no longer a special, but part of their normal lineup.
https://www.andrewsfcu.org/personal/...tificates.html
Old 01-26-2017, 09:02 AM   #186

Per depositaccounts.com, the 7 year 3 percent CD's at Andrews CU are still available. Minimum deposit is $1,000.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Audrey
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear AFCU finally came through. It's a good lesson for anyone trying to do business with them. I tried to purchase a second IRA CD online and the process was aggravating so I downloaded the form and converted it to a fillable PDF and went into the branch since I am local. In spite of a bad experience with them on a mortgage application I am satisfied overall so far. I received an invitation to be a secret shopper for them so it appears they are aware that they have some issues.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:29 AM   #188
Dryer sheet aficionado

Andrews FCU

Thanks for the responses. It definitely seems like Andrews FCU would be the way to go except that I was trying to avoid having to deal with transferring funds to another institution (I already have CDs at PenFed and NWFCU) and have a few more months before I should transfer $ out of Fidelity as a result of a cash bonus I received last year for transferring additional $ there. I do think I will hold off on the 10-year CDs though. Thanks again for the input.
CountingDown2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:53 AM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Per depositaccounts.com, the 7 year 3 percent CD's at Andrews CU are still available. Minimum deposit is $1,000.
It did disappear for a while after the New Years weekend, and the 84 month certificate had a much lower rate. I know because I checked. I think it just became available as part of the standard offering.

If you read the deposit accounts blog the article announcing the availability is dated today.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:19 PM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Andrews FCU CD Rate Lowered

The 84 mo CD on the AFCU website has been reduced from 3% to 2.2%. This is very disappointing since I was stalking CD rates in anticipation of higher rates and found the opposite. I am still hoping to find some rate increases after April 1st since I have come to the end of the road on my 4% NFCU CD and need to reinvest.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:01 PM   #191

This one bump 2.75% 5 year CD is a no brainer..........
https://www.macu.com/bump
Not sure what your waiting for?
Old 03-31-2017, 03:38 PM   #192
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you don't live in Utah macu isn't an option it would seem.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:42 PM   #193

I live in SoCal and put $265k in last week..........
Not a problem..........
Old 03-31-2017, 04:20 PM   #194

Are you a member of the American Consumer Council? I just found out that qualifies you. I forgot about that.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:31 PM   #195

Thanks Almost there, I took your advise on MACU and open the 5yr CD
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:49 PM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
This one bump 2.75% 5 year CD is a no brainer..........
https://www.macu.com/bump
Not sure what your waiting for?

Well no point doing anything until it matures in 2 weeks. Gotta milk the last penny outta that 4 per cent rate! That MACU deal is better than anything else I've seen so thanks for the reminder. I hate to open another CU account but I'll do it if they make me.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:54 PM   #197
Gone but not forgotten

Dunno if this is too dumb a question to ask... OK to ignore...

Why does one buy an extended (more than 6 month) CD in the under 3% rate, when IBonds currently yield 2.78%, and adjust to the CPI? Yes, Bond held under 5 years lose thee months interest when redeemed early.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:17 PM   #198

I never understand this CD thing.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:39 PM   #199

Bonds do not have insurance on your investment. That is why for my fixed income part of portfolio I would rather have CD especially when the difference in return is so tiny.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:40 PM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I never understand this CD thing.
Me, neither. That's why I kept my cassette player.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cds