Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-16-2023, 05:58 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmee View Post
... The planner gave me a viable option vs Roth conversions which is more tax advantageous. ....
Can you elaborate on this ?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2023, 08:30 AM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstansbury View Post
Good to know! Congrats on getting support that you appreciate. Would you mind sharing what type of planner? Was it someone at Fidelity or Vangaurd? A local CFP? A CPA maybe? An independent person with Fisher Investments?
I hired a CFP who specializes in retirement plan modelling. I requested models for various SS filing ages and a withdrawal strategy. I have a fairly complicated scenario in that I have Mega stock with a high NUA, my own ROTH and trad accounts, and inherited Roth and trad accounts which have RMDs.

The planner modeled these and ran a Monte Carlo simulation which I did not ask for but was reassuring. They also added some long term care for me and DW though my own plan is to engage in increasingly risky activities

Results:
- Yes, I can retire.
- I can spend more money than I thought but less than DW wants.
- Best option is to file at FRA.
- Roth conversions will result in higher lifetime taxes so they recommended moving the inherited RMDs into a regular brokerage account. I need to dig deeper on this to understand why and how much. I may opt for the Roth anyway.
- I got a better understanding of how low my balances might go in a high early spending profile. I will use the model to decide if we are ahead or behind plan before we make big spending decisions.
- I need to buy a retirement house and will have a mortgage. I have a better idea of what is affordable.
- Got some input on whether to retire at the beginning of the calendar year vs mid-year.

Net, I paid for anxiety reduction and education. I will have to work an extra week to pay for it but it was worth it for me.
MrSmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:38 AM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

Oh, and Mega offers me a free financial advisor who will look over the plan and give me a second opinion. That was a pleasant surprise.
MrSmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 02:19 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Roth conversions will result in higher lifetime taxes so they recommended moving the inherited RMDs into a regular brokerage account. I need to dig deeper on this to understand why and how much. I may opt for the Roth anyway."

Although you may convert your own traditional IRAs and 401ks to Roth IRAs, I do not believe you are ever allowed to convert an inherited IRA or 401k into a Roth.
N02L84ER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 04:48 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N02L84ER View Post
"Roth conversions will result in higher lifetime taxes so they recommended moving the inherited RMDs into a regular brokerage account. I need to dig deeper on this to understand why and how much. I may opt for the Roth anyway."

Although you may convert your own traditional IRAs and 401ks to Roth IRAs, I do not believe you are ever allowed to convert an inherited IRA or 401k into a Roth.
You are correct. MrSmee has mixed up a couple of concepts. It is required that IRA RMDs (inherited or not) go to the taxable account. He can do Roth Conversions from his own 401K or traditional IRA. He could pay taxes on Roth Conversions either from taxable (replenished by those Inherited IRA RMDs) or by making additional withdrawals from the traditional IRA. If doing Roth Conversions, it's generally preferable to pay taxes from taxable. That allows more money to end up in the Roth and it reduces the taxable balance, so reduces the tax drag.
Exchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 08:10 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmee View Post
Got lots of helpful input in response to this question. So I just wanted to update with my experience. I did go ahead and pay for a retirement plan. So glad that I did.
- Value: it would have taken me a lot of effort to replicate. Definitely worth it.
- Peace of mind: I now have a base plan that I feel has been vetted and I can use it on my own with more confidence.
- Quality: there were a lot of nuances I would not have thought about. The planner gave me a viable option vs Roth conversions which is more tax advantageous.

Thanks, all, for the advice.

Who did you use?
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote