Hobbies

DAYDREAMER

Recycles dryer sheets
What hobbies do you enjoy.

I have a rather expensive wastefull passion. "Snowmobiling" Been sledding for 10 years now, and can't wait for the season to start. My YING pulls on me to save as much as I can for retirment, but my YANG can't give up the adrenaline rush of sledding. Probably spend 10k/yr on average for the hobby.

You only live once, and if i die today, i sure hope heavin looks like this.

Attachments

• Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 21
Shooting clay pigeons and hunting, motorcycling.

(Does chasing women count :) ?, it can be an expensive past time because of all the accessories for it such as Harley's and a new hot tub)

Rock n Roll..:D...actually sketching and writing. Pretty cheap entertainment for me; just paper and pencil. I can post one of my drawings, but can not post my stories here....:p

Attachments

• rock on.jpg
    rock on.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
Model railroading (for 40 years now), gardening/landscaping/hort, traveling, and dabble with photography. All can be as expensive or as inexpensive as I desire. ;)

Model railroading

Any photos?

I have to get a home based hobbie - something that I can make and sell at a fare - I don't like clutter. I don't have any artistic ability.

Former (very expensive) hobby- flying light aircraft. Present FIRE friendly hobbies not nearly as exciting (hiking, reading, woodworking)

I'm sure mine is hard to guess. FISHING! I did just by a set of Golf clubs during our last trip to Venice FL. They were used at a Good Will store for $1 a club so inexpensive to start and see if I like it. Raising my two boys is my main hobby now based upon time.

Any photos?
Not yet....at least none that are any good. It's still a work "in progress" but definitely getting a lot closer to "photo" finished. As soon as I get a little bit more done, I'll shoot & post some pix.

I mean, heck, I've only been working on this RR layout for 23 years! Of course that was working around job schedules, vacations, other hobbies, and other activities. But, this year I finally have gone full throttle on getting it done! I've spent a whole lot of time out in the layout room building, tinkering, tearing apart, and re-doing this year....anywhere from 20-40 hours a week usually. And with colder weather settling in, I'll be spend even more time out there, since I'll be spending far less time out in the yard & gardens.

Oh, here, I found a half way decent shot of Hillsdale Union Station:

Attachments

• Hillsdale Union Station 100_3889.jpg
    Hillsdale Union Station 100_3889.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 14
And a few more shots......

Attachments

• Downtown Street 100_3885.jpg
    Downtown Street 100_3885.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Elm Grove & Hillsdale 100_3867.jpg
    Elm Grove & Hillsdale 100_3867.jpg
    631.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Elm Grove & Deer Creek Jct 100_3865.jpg
    Elm Grove & Deer Creek Jct 100_3865.jpg
    554.5 KB · Views: 17
Git-tar, photography, woodworking (or maybe more accurately, cabinetmaker)

"Eyeing little girls with bad intent..." >:D

Jethro Tull

Now if CFB were here, he'd have to explain that Jethro Tull is not a person... :p

Last edited:
Rock n Roll..:D...actually sketching and writing. Pretty cheap entertainment for me; just paper and pencil. I can post one of my drawings, but can not post my stories here....:p

BB Bam Gogh... :D

Not too shabby!

Civil War re-enacting, Bicycling- can't believe how I enjoy the sound of the gears.I wish I had more time to put more miles in. Al

Photojournalism.

Well, that is, photography, but I also like to write articles to go with the photos. A natural history focus, and sometimes with a travel oriented spin.

I also dabble in video and graphic design.

I might publish a book next year. I have all the raw material, but I think it will take a whole year to write it. Apple provides an incredible, high quality printing service for beautiful picture books, and I really want to see some of our stuff in print!

I guess travel too. But since we travel all the time, I think of that as more of a lifestyle.

Audrey

Civil War re-enacting, Bicycling- can't believe how I enjoy the sound of the gears.I wish I had more time to put more miles in. Al

Come to Georgia - The Silver Comet Trail - 100 miles Ga to Al.

Wow goonie, it looks like a very nice RR setup. All my electric train stuff is stuck in boxes because we don't have any space for a permanent RR model layout :(...

My hobbies are gardening, flight simulation (anything related to airplanes really), cooking, and woodworking...

Here is a picture of my latest woodworking project, a bookcase for our "library" (this is the last one in a series of five that I have been building since 2004):

PS: I also made the sofa on the right of the bookcase.

Last edited:
Wow goonie, it looks like a very nice RR setup. All my electric train stuff is stuck in boxes because we don't have any space for a permanent RR model layout :(...

My hobbies are gardening, flight simulation (anything related to airplanes really), cooking, and woodworking...

Here is a picture of my latest woodworking project, a bookcase for our "library" (this is the last one in a series of five that I have been building since 2004):

PS: I also made the sofa on the right of the bookcase.

Looking GOOD.

I'm into woodworking too and lots of other things to spend money on.

Here's a 1/3 scale reproduction of a baby cradle I designed a number of years ago. The original was in cherry, this one is in walnut. In the past I've designed and built 7 different full size cradles for family members and now I'm slowly doing them as miniatures. The small ones take as much time as the big ones. :p

The original is on the right.

Attachments

• cradle.jpg
    cradle.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 9
  • cradle1a.jpg
    cradle1a.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 9
I'm into woodworking too and lots of other things to spend money on.

Here's a 1/3 scale reproduction of a baby cradle I designed a number of years ago. The original was in cherry, this one is in walnut. In the past I've designed and built 7 different full size cradles for family members and now I'm slowly doing them as miniatures. The small ones take as much time as the big ones. :p

The original is on the right.

Really nice! The paint kinda hide the imperfections on my bookcase (especially the quality of my joinery work which could be improved), but your cradle looks very well finished!

Really nice! The paint kinda hide the imperfections on my bookcase (especially the quality of my joinery work which could be improved), but your cradle looks very well finished!

Thanks Fire Dreamer. The joints come after a while. I'm still learning on most of my pieces. I'm still trying to perfect handcut dovetails but nothing is ready for prime time yet.

The finish on the cradles is spray water based lacquer. No fumes.

exploring and woodworking. Here is an antique looking frame I finished yesterday - framing a map of Lewis and Clark's journey

map.jpg

Nothing too exciting for me, just reading and gaming. I am extremely good at gaming (it can be anything, any kind of video game/card game/pc game), if it were a profession, I definitely would have gone into it (online gambling is illegal is my state). They are not expensive hobbies, but they require a lot of free time (hence why I want to retire as early as possible).

DW and I have gotten into biking over the last couple of years - we are doing about 100 miles a week these days. I used to do a ton of windsurfing but have slacked off over the past few years and didn't go out at all this year. Still do some skiing, snow boarding, and scuba. Dabble in photography, sometimes some sketching and a golf game when my golf nut friend drags me out. And, of course, reading - I practically own the local library.

What amazing hobbies everyone has, and how accomplished you all are at these hobbies! Goonie, that's an amazing model RR setup, and BbbamI, you are a very talented artist.

I am embarrassed - - I don't think I have a hobby. I never know what to say on "what are you hobbies" or "what do you collect" threads. I am apparently completely missing the hobby/collecting gene.

In my spare time, I love to
  • spend time with Frank
  • browse through art and antique stores
  • work on my ER spreadsheet
  • weekly update of my spreadsheet that has asking and selling prices of homes in my suburb (available here online), size and other attributes of these houses, and graphs and statistics on sales prices that I compute
  • take pictures with my new camera (right now)
  • browse online to learn more about home prices and neighborhoods in my tentative ER location, and
  • go to the gym.
I love computer role playing games (RPG's), but I just don't have much time for them now while I am working. I can't really say that photography is a hobby, because it is something that I am enjoying this month simply as an escape from the market.

I am so impressed with the artistic abilities and skills, and patience that many of you have shown us through your hobbies.

Something I will probably give up in retirement...

Attachments

• Dolcezza36.jpg
    Dolcezza36.jpg
    650.2 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom