Join Early Retirement Today

Hobby Income
Old 08-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hobby Income

I couldn't fin a thread on this topic. Does anyone 'work' at their hobby for extra income? I am thinking about crocheted afghans or sweaters or baby sets. Another option could be bird house building and/or painting. Anybody have any other ideas, or something that works for you?
GrammieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes and no. I like photography and have toyed around with the idea of taking and selling photos on one of those stock image websites, but it doesn't seem to pay a lot, so for now...its just a hobby.

Some make money at blogging, so that would be another idea if you like to write.

If you have a skill like painting or crocheting you could also look into teaching a class through your local park & rec district.

I guess that's all I can think of.
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My main hobby and exercise outlet is gardening. I do not sell my harvest, however the output does offset some of my own food bills.
There are lots of small size craft fairs around my area, and the one thing I have heard artisans complain about is the high fees they pay to have a selling booth. Don't forget to add that expense into your "business plan".
My suggestion would be to advertise that you do custom knitting w*rk for people as well as having generic items for general sales.
You could get a very nice price for an afghan with the baby's name woven into it. Just an idea...

As far as painting goes, I think people would just love a painting or line drawing of their house. You would have to do this with a pre-arrangement, but do a few of some prominent houses in your area, advertise and off you go.
We have a 14"x14" oil painting of dh2b's childhood home that his parents had commissioned for themselves years ago.
I can tell by the size of the trees that it was done within the last 10 years. It is now his most treasured possession since they passed. It is displayed prominently in our living room.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks caninelover. (I love canines too). I do like to write, so writing a blog is a possibility. I don't know what I should blog about though. I don't want to get involved in politics or controversy. That leaves out a number of hot blogging topics.

As far as teaching crochet, I'm not that great at crocheting, although I have taught elementary school students how to crochet. I was thinking that people that want to get a special, one of a kind baby set (sweater, hat, and bootees), might buy, or even order a custom made set. Baby afghans would probably sell well too.

Right now I am brainstorming possibilities and am open to more ideas and suggestions.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thank you freebird5825. I hadn't thought about paintings or drawings of houses. As a matter of fact, I would love to have a drawing done of my childhood house in Idaho. Maybe I could be my first customer. LOL

I have a small container garden. Nothing fancy but right now I am being overgrown with squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, and tomatoes (did I mention tomatoes?) I can't grow enough to supply anyone else though.

Keep the good ideas coming people. We do have a local Saturday Market during the summer.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:22 PM   #6

It may help you get some ideas to go on sites like eBay & Craigslist and see the kinds of stuff people are making/selling there. It would also give you an idea of prices.

As for blogging, it doesn't have to be political...you can blog about crocheting, for example. Just pick a project, take some photos along the way and add a write-up on what and how you're making it...voila! A blog is born...
Old 08-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW loves to quilt. I suggested to her about a year ago, when I got her a quilting machine, that she sell some of her projects. (This was not because we needed the money, but rather to keep the load of un-necessary quilts in our home and storage areas to a manageable level). She said "no, because then it would be work". A couple days ago, not remembering this conversation a year ago, she said "I'm getting really good at this. I should open a business and sell these." I just smiled, and said, "yes dear." I'm going to leave it at that for now but in my spare time, I'm going to see about selling on Ebay, look up craft shows and things that she is unlikely to do herself in preparation. When and if she decides to go thru with it, I'll be ready to run the business end of things, and she can do the production. I doubt we would ever make much money at it, but if we were making some earned income during RE, we could dump it into a Roth (that we wish we could but are not eligible to do now).

R

PS: Moe if you've got any good tips about where to start learning about eBay, I'd love to hear them.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

DH makes money by playing in a band. His gigs don't pay much, but he enjoys music...the money is just icing on the cake.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #9

I'm a car guy and I like fixing them. I do simple things like brakes and CV's for friends. Don't charge, but usually they force a case of beer or a bottle of something on me. That would allow me to post a very low number in this thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post850368
Old 08-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks bbbamI, I'm not a musician, but my husband is, and he gives guitar lessons to supplement his SSI.

I never thought about checking out ebay or Craigs list for prices etc., but that is going on my to do list. I also never thought about blogging about any of my interests or hobbies, another great idea. Hey caninelover, we should blog about our dogs. LOL

Rambler, I think it’s wonderful that you are doing research for your DW. It’s such an awesome, loving thing to do.

Keep the ideas flowing. We are on roll!
Old 08-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #11

Ha...Grammie, I wish I could...my beloved canine is (unfortunately) deceased I haven't yet pulled the trigger on letting another furry friend into my life. Someday though...

Kumquat...ha ha, I need to think about ways to barter for my booze now...
Old 08-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

kumquat, I'm not into fixing cars although I know some women are. I know a couple of our friends who are mechanics that supplement Their income that way. They get paid with money though. I will suggest to them that they need to ask for beer too.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

GrammieD - how much time do you want to have to sit around selling your stuff? Or actively marketing it? Or traveling to fairs or flea markets or whatever. That's the "work" involved when you try to earn cash from a hobby.

Of course those lucky enough to make things that other people find out about and beat a path to their door - they've got it made. Otherwise, it can be a lot of time and effort just doing the selling part, not to mention keeping the records for taxes.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammieD View Post
kumquat, I'm not into fixing cars although I know some women are. I know a couple of our friends who are mechanics that supplement Their income that way. They get paid with money though. I will suggest to them that they need to ask for beer too.
No!, no! Don't ask. You get more by refusing any compensation. People hate paying mechanics but like giving gifts!
Old 08-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sorry about your canine caninelover. We get so lost when we lose them. Once upon a time I had two dogs, a lab/rot mix and a poodle. I lost them both to the ravages of age about a year apart.

I now have an ornery bundle of dog fur who is trying to fill my house with his hair. He is a Pekingese and Chihuahua mix and absolutely adorable. Pushed in face with an incredible under-bite, buggy eyes, semi-short hair, floppy ears,rolled up tail and more personality than I can do justice to.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Okay, okay, kumquat. Don't worry, I have banished the idea from my brain.

You make a good point, Audrey. I live right next door to a country store that will allow me to display a couple of items there. Also there is the summer Saturday market. If I need to have my work in more places later on, I can always expand later.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #17

Sometimes it is easier to spend less than making more. If your garden reduces grocery charges by $20 a week, bread baking another $5 or $10, and all presents are made with love. Well that adds up to real money! With the moniker of Grammie, what comes to my mind is some child care. I may do that this school year with the swine flu children because most parents (employees) can not afford to tick off the boss with ill children absences.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammieD View Post
Sorry about your canine caninelover. We get so lost when we lose them. Once upon a time I had two dogs, a lab/rot mix and a poodle. I lost them both to the ravages of age about a year apart.

I now have an ornery bundle of dog fur who is trying to fill my house with his hair. He is a Pekingese and Chihuahua mix and absolutely adorable. Pushed in face with an incredible under-bite, buggy eyes, semi-short hair, floppy ears,rolled up tail and more personality than I can do justice to.
Sorry, this is getting off topic, but...yes, we do get lost when they pass. I still have her photos on my fireplace mantle, along with my other family. Your current pooch sounds adorable. I've been thinking about going to the local pound for a pooch when I'm ready...but its also a 10+ year commitment to a pooch so I'm waiting for the right time to take the plunge again. Not sure when it will be but whenever it feels right, I'll do it...
Old 08-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninelover View Post
Sorry, this is getting off topic, but...yes, we do get lost when they pass. I still have her photos on my fireplace mantle, along with my other family. Your current pooch sounds adorable. I've been thinking about going to the local pound for a pooch when I'm ready...but its also a 10+ year commitment to a pooch so I'm waiting for the right time to take the plunge again. Not sure when it will be but whenever it feels right, I'll do it...
HEHEHE Yeah, I think I hijacked my own thread.

HI crazy connie. I agree with you 100%. To make more money we need to spend less money.

I have also thought about childcare but my husband's nerves are shot. He gets nervous around our own grandchildren. He also has asthma and would not do well around illness.

I love the ideas you are coming up with. Any more?
Old 08-29-2009, 11:44 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Maybe you could do internet research for your local media outlet?
Learn how to do tax preparation (if you like finance) and do seasonal work?
Be a concierge: pick up people's drycleaning, etc....?
Grow and sell your own vegetables?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote