Join Early Retirement Today

Hold the Gold, I'll Have a Coke
Old 03-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hold the Gold, I'll Have a Coke

Don Yacktman is interviewd in Barron's about his views and stock picks. He expects inflation to come out of recent political trends.

Q: What else is on your mind in picking stocks right now?
A: I really don't like to spend a lot of time on macro issues, because the reality is that it is the specific investment choices that really make the money. Fortunately there are plenty of good opportunities out there. But I would be very concerned about holding a lot of cash, and that's where people are moving toward. I think that's just the wrong place because when the economy does turn and things improve, it looks like there is going to be an awful lot of inflationary pressure.
Q: So do you guys have a position in gold?
A: No gold. I would rather have Coca-Cola than gold any day of the week. The ability [for them] to raise prices is like a machine that prints money.

A Value Investor's Dream - Barrons.com

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Personally, I like a Coke during stressful times, like air travel and I have noticed that I crave the bubbles in the coke much more lately.

If I had any gold, maybe double the bets by holding it in Coke cans?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Personally, I like a Coke during stressful times, like air travel and I have noticed that I crave the bubbles in the coke much more lately.
Great point, CJ. Coke's at my grandparents' house were bankable treats and tear fixers when I was little. Maybe at stressful times later in our lives we regress to that old reliable satisfaction a bit?

"Have a Coke and a smile".

Ha
Old 03-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
"Have a Coke and a smile".
Please do!

(Yes, I'm long KO.)
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I feel the same way about equities more generally. Prices of products and services sold can and will be increased when inflation occurs. In fact CPI is a measure of just that (a measure of consumer prices). As long as company profit margins stay constant, inflation is a wash when companies can raise prices.

Gold doesn't produce a profit every year like equities do (well, most years ). It just sits there in little lumps and the value either goes up or goes down.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

considering a can of coke was 15 cents over 40 years ago and today it can be bought for about .50 cents in a 6 pack or .75 to a dollar singly ... dosent sound like it kept up with inflation .... most things i can think of are up 15-20x in price... ice cream .15 cents now 2 bucks pizza .15 cents now 2.00 bucks , the bus .15 cents now 2.00..... candy .06 cents now .75
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
considering a can of coke was 15 cents over 40 years ago and today it can be bought for about .50 cents in a 6 pack or .75 to a dollar singly ... dosent sound like it kept up with inflation .... most things i can think of are up 15-20x in price... ice cream .15 cents now 2 bucks pizza .15 cents now 2.00 bucks , the bus .15 cents now 2.00..... candy .06 cents now .75
1942] Advertisement placed in the Daily Record [Morristown, NJ] newspaper, Pepsi .05/bottle
[1944] Daily Record, Coca Cola, .05/bottle
[1945] Daily Record, Pepsi, .23/six 12 ounce bottles
[1968] Value of a Dollar, Pepsi, .59/6pack of 10oz bottles
[1972] Daily Record, Pepsi, .69/six-pack 12 oz cans
[1974] Daily Record, Pepsi Cola, .88/6 12oz cans
[1982] Daily Record, Coke, .99/1 litre bottle
[1985] Daily Record, Pepsi, .89/2 litre bottle
[1992] Daily Record, Coke, 6.98/two 12-packs 12 oz cans
[1994] Daily Record, Coca Cola, 3.99/two "12" packs
[1995] Daily Record, Coca Cola, .59-.99/2 litre bottle
[2002] Daily Record, Coca Cola .99/2 litre bottle
[2005] Daily Record, Coca Cola, 1.09/2 litre bottle

I think the price of can of Coca Cola more closely correlates with the price increases in the cost of sugar (about 15 cents a pound in the early 70's 27 lb now.
http://www.americansugarbeet.org/ASG...e%20Survey.doc

Excluding dividends from 1978 KO stock is up over 27X.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

No Coke, Pepsi.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/3533/satur...pia-restaurant
Old 03-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

could be, but certainly not inflation linked
Old 03-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
1942]
I think the price of can of Coca Cola more closely correlates with the price increases in the cost of sugar (about 15 cents a pound in the early 70's 27 lb now.
Unfortunately, Coke as sold in the United States is now made with corn syrup, not cane sugar.

Try the Coke from Mexico, using 100% cane sugar. That's the way it's supposed to taste! I can't stand the U.S. stuff any more.

Cheers.
Grep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

ill bet your right about the taste,,,we forgot how its really supposed to be..

bet the company got so rich because they were ripping us on the price all those decades.... when a company can sell a product for decades and raise the price a fraction of what most prices went up they had to be over charging us back then
Old 03-21-2009, 02:44 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I feel the same way about equities more generally. Prices of products and services sold can and will be increased when inflation occurs. In fact CPI is a measure of just that (a measure of consumer prices). As long as company profit margins stay constant, inflation is a wash when companies can raise prices.

Gold doesn't produce a profit every year like equities do (well, most years ). It just sits there in little lumps and the value either goes up or goes down.

well we are going into the 12th year of equities not producing a profit at all long term ... gold is at a profit most of those years...we all so got in the habit of repeating things that we used to know to be true and i guess still want to believe to be true but hasnt been true for quite a while....
Old 03-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grep View Post
Unfortunately, Coke as sold in the United States is now made with corn syrup, not cane sugar.

Try the Coke from Mexico, using 100% cane sugar. That's the way it's supposed to taste! I can't stand the U.S. stuff any more.

Cheers.
Agreed, but it's pretty hard to find...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #14

Well, I missed the gold bubble and never have been comfortable with investments like gold.

But, with Coke, I don't know long term. If the government starts using junk food as a source of raising tax revenues, the stock of Coke might go the way of cigarettes, which I imagine were once a good investment.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
Well, I missed the gold bubble and never have been comfortable with investments like gold.

But, with Coke, I don't know long term. If the government starts using junk food as a source of raising tax revenues, the stock of Coke might go the way of cigarettes, which I imagine were once a good investment.
And still are. I wouldn't be retired if it were not for MO and UST.

Ha
Old 03-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Coke + bourbon = Med Plus I own the stock too.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Agreed, but it's pretty hard to find...
Go to any good Mexican store. Mexicans coming into the United States pretty much demand the cane sugar version and it is available in most heavily Hispanic areas grocery stores

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

disfrute coca cola
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #19
Dryer sheet wannabe

I like KO for its long term dividend payments. It is a strong portion of my portfolio because recently I got in at a 4% yield (and they have a history of increasing their dividends every year). And while I dont use tobbacco I am also long on MO and PM because of their strong cash flow and monster yields. I think each of these stocks are good to buy and hold for their dividends, especially at prices we have seen recently.
kybec29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kybec29 View Post
I like KO for its long term dividend payments. It is a strong portion of my portfolio because recently I got in at a 4% yield (and they have a history of increasing their dividends every year). And while I dont use tobbacco I am also long on MO and PM because of their strong cash flow and monster yields. I think each of these stocks are good to buy and hold for their dividends, especially at prices we have seen recently.
I don't own MO any longer, I do own the other two as well as Imperial Tobacco.

Ha