Join Early Retirement Today

Hold them or fold them ? (2 CD's)
Old 10-31-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hold them or fold them ? (2 CD's)

Here's the situation: I have two CD's in Fremont General (FMT). Fremont seems to be on the ropes. Their stock is at $2.77 as of Wednesday, Oct. 31. From what I've been told (and reassured) that my two accounts are insured. One CD is due early Dec., the other is due in Feb. I'm not sure Fremont is going to be around in Feb. If I take my money out of the Feb. CD, it will cost me about $600 in penalties. So, do I sit and wait until the CD (or CDs) become due, or do I just close either one or both out, or do I file insurance claims if/when Fremont folds?

Anyone have any idea if a bank (i.e. Fremont) just goes out of business in this climate, or are they taken over by another bank?
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2007, 07:02 PM   #2

Looked at the site (Googled it) and it says FDIC so you should be safe. If it goes belly up another bank should take it over (if it happens they should go belly up on a Friday afternoon and the FDIC will ship the assets to another institution by Monday morning) and you should then be given and maybe even forced to take the proceeds of the CD's without any penalty. Worst case should be that you will have to wait for the original maturity dates at a new bank. For a source of information on how it works look up NetBank they went a short time ago.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:47 PM   #3

Hold onto them. If the bank is FDIC, you're ok. As pointed out, you MIGHT have a slight delay getting a new certificate or you might get them cashed out if the bank is taken over, but you won't lose any of the interest you've earned.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

very easy.. hold em...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:03 PM   #5

Somehow, you guys make it seem like a no-brainer (hmmn, maybe I should let my kids handle my finances).
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Somehow, you guys make it seem like a no-brainer (hmmn, maybe I should let my kids handle my finances).
Not try to make it sound like it is not a no-brainer... but you have CD insured by the government... who cares what happens to the bank.

In fact, back in the S&L crash, people were throwing money at a S&L that was going to go under and paying out a ridiculous high rate... HOPING that it would stick to the new bank or at least the bank would hang on for long enough to get that high rate for awhile..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote