Join Early Retirement Today

Home Depot fraud - card usage
Old 05-01-2015, 07:34 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Home Depot fraud - card usage

I like many here were hit by the Home Depot data breach. I had one card, my Fidelity AMEX that was impacted and was sent a new card and number.

Received our bill today and noticed a ~$970 charge from Aero Mexico that had been reversed. Good because I didn't make it. Then as always reviewed the rest of the statement. Here's another Aero Mexico charge for about the same amount that hasn't been removed.

Talked to the fraud department of FIA cardholder services, they quickly discovered that charge was fraudulent as it was charged to our old(Target hacked) account number. They didn't explain how they missed the one old card number, I didn't push for an answer on that point. Wishing I had now.

The real point to this post is someone's using that hacked data. I hadn't heard any reports to date(the FIA guy said he hadn't either) of someone using that data; so be careful checking statements.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2015, 08:24 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Our Fidelity AMEX a card was replaced late last year sometime, so hopefully we are past this. I do keep an eye out!
Old 05-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I like many here were hit by the Home Depot data breach. I had one card, my Fidelity AMEX that was impacted and was sent a new card and number.

Received our bill today and noticed a ~$970 charge from Aero Mexico that had been reversed. Good because I didn't make it. Then as always reviewed the rest of the statement. Here's another Aero Mexico charge for about the same amount that hasn't been removed.

Talked to the fraud department of FIA cardholder services, they quickly discovered that charge was fraudulent as it was charged to our old(Target hacked) account number. They didn't explain how they missed the one old card number, I didn't push for an answer on that point. Wishing I had now.

The real point to this post is someone's using that hacked data. I hadn't heard any reports to date(the FIA guy said he hadn't either) of someone using that data; so be careful checking statements.

We were out shopping after the Target hacking (ironically at Target) and wife's CC was declined. Hackers had quickly sold CC info and crooks were downtown Chicago buying two large screen TVs and had also paid for parking with it (small charge scenario to validate CC). CC company stopped the TV purchases, but we had to go through a written process of of getting the parking charge removed (even though they show card declined while we were in Target shopping at that same time frame). Had to go w/o a CC from our Credit Union for about two weeks (no quick turn around process w/o paying them a fee). Even though Visa shut down account twice as both were hacking issues - they charged us a new card fee of $5.00 (each time) that CU removed after we called them about it.

We use to have just two Credit Union Visa CCs, but since wife's card has been replaced twice (Target and Home Depot) we added Capital One Quicksilver and Citi Dbl cash (cash back cards). We snowbird and travel a bit, and don't want to be stranded without valid CCs. Capital One issued separate card numbers (wife and I) for the same account (excellent fraud policy and only one statement). Set alerts for $0.50 on each account so we see every charge as it's transacted (this unfortunately wasn't/still isn't available with our Credit Union CCs). There is new software/app that will allow CC owner/holder to turn on/off credit cards at will with their phone, and also control types of purchases with authorized users. Would like to see this type of software go mainstream.

Your credit card might have an off switch soon - CBS News

Ondot Systems | Home
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

audreyh1, ours was replaced too right after it was announced.
Yet somehow the first transaction was processed with the old account number, and placed on the new accounts bill, but then credited back. The second transaction was also processed with the old account number and placed on the new accounts bill, but Not credited back. Now one might think it's stale data, but online shows as the bill does. The second transaction came though 25 days ago!

So please don't feel as I did that a new card number is a cure all. It is for your liability, but if I hadn't spotted it myself I don't believe they would have caught it. I mean they had 3 weeks, even batch type processing should have caught it, maybe the audit is done monthly?

That's why I am a little ticked at myself for not probing the guy more about how my old account number's charge ended up on my new account numbers bill!

🐑
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Yet somehow the first transaction was processed with the old account number, and placed on the new accounts bill, but then credited back. The second transaction was also processed with the old account number and placed on the new accounts bill, but Not credited back. Now one might think it's stale data, but online shows as the bill does. The second transaction came though 25 days ago!

So please don't feel as I did that a new card number is a cure all. It is for your liability, but if I hadn't spotted it myself I don't believe they would have caught it. I mean they had 3 weeks, even batch type processing should have caught it, maybe the audit is done monthly?

That's why I am a little ticked at myself for not probing the guy more about how my old account number's charge ended up on my new account numbers bill!

��
Sound like you're guilty until it's proven fraud (and you've caught it on your statement).

Years ago (early 90's) - We had a couple of Disneyland charges that showed up after two years of being lost. We had moved from California back to the Midwest shortly after going to the park, and this issue went forgotten (we mark down all purchases, and keep reference sheet for a couple of years now). They were able to provide copies of charges and we paid them, but just goes to show you that CC companies will post "very" old transactions w/o investigating.
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:10 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

��
I'll certainly keep an eye out. That's interesting to know about the old number still being used.

I expect fraud to appear at any time - just as it has in the past, whether the card is known to be compromised or not.

The Fidelity AMEX is one I'm unable to set up alerts like I have on all my other cards.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I had a small charge, less than a dollar, charged to one of my cards by an eatery that was out of state. The CC company caught it and reversed it. It must have been an attempt by the criminals to see if anybody was watching the card for improper use.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I have had at least one CC for over 40 years. I have always verified each and every charge that appears on the monthly statement and always retain the receipts so I am able to do so. On the few occasions that I have had an illegitimate charge, I have immediately called and had it removed. I believe that this monthly ritual has saved me a lot of grief over the years. As has checking into annualcreditreport.com each year.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote