Join Early Retirement Today

Home Insurance Deductible?
Old 01-08-2021, 10:54 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Home Insurance Deductible?

I just paid our home insurance for the year and was looking over the policy. I noticed the deductible is set at $1000, the default value set when we bought our first home. We didn't have much money back then and that's what the agent recommended, so that's what we went with. I never really gave it much thought.

These days we have a good emergency fund built up, so a low deductible isn't as important. Obviously I would need to talk with my agent to see how much our annual insurance bill would be affected by raising the deductible, but I'm curious what other folks have as their home insurance deductible?

To be honest, it wouldn't even cross my mind to file an insurance claim unless damage was in the thousands of dollars. $1000-$4000 or so and I'd probably just fix it out of pocket. Less hassle and I could get it fixed sooner. We've been insured 32+ years and have never filed a claim for anything.

What deductible do you have on your home insurance?
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was at $1000, increased deductible to $2500. Like you, we've never filed a claim in over 40 years as we've never had a loss or expense that wasn't normal home maintenance.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:10 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I think ours is $1k also. When I looked into raising it there was not much to gain from the additional exposure. Same with auto coverage. I wanted ~3k on the house. More significantly our coverage for windstorm damage was modified. It has a specific deductible which is a percentage of coverage. It was 1% of coverage IIRC. I think it’s a local thing in my state but probably some others too. We changed insurers, went back to a flat deductible and had a claim this year for wind damage.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:16 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Per Clark Howard: I have my deductible set at $1,000. I've only had 1 claim in 30 years, roof replaced due to hail damage. I'm thinking about raising the deductible to $2,500.
Dean56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I was at $1000, increased deductible to $2500. Like you, we've never filed a claim in over 40 years as we've never had a loss or expense that wasn't normal home maintenance.
Did it have much impact on your insurance cost?

Our home insurance payment was $1012 this year, first time we've crossed the $1000 mark. Obviously, if a higher deductible only dropped it to $800 or so I don't know that it would be worth the effort. If it got down to $500-700, then it might be worth considering.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:27 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Every time I looked into raising my deductible, it just wasn't worth it. Negligible cost savings.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:32 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think I may be at 1pct home value. So its true catastrophe insurance. I wouldn't make casual claims anyway
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:32 AM   #8

Mine is at Liberty Mutual and is $1000.
I just logged on and checked. They have an instant quote feature where you can edit your policy and see the difference.
I changed mine to a $2500 deductible and it would reduce the annual premium by $68.
For now I'll leave it at the $1000 level.
finnski1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:33 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Mine is $1000. I made a claim in 1994 after the California Northridge Earthquake for repairs to my house and pool that saved me more than all of the premiums that I had paid to date ( or subsequent did pay since then) so I am ahead of the game.
timbervest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #10

So, how much would you save by increasing your deductible? How long to break even? Then ask yourself what your chance is of filing a claim in excess of $1,000 deductible and how many times within that period.

Last I looked it was many years to breakeven and amount saved wasn't worth making the change as savings was inconsequential. But YMMV.
bobandsherry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:14 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

As others have indicated your savings won't increase that much as your deductible is increased. That said, mine is 3% of the house value for a deductible of $17,442.

Just thought I would share so that you know there are a few high deductible policies out there.
Mark1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:20 PM   #12

When we first bought the house it was (I think) $500 and when there were a couple of sharp premium increases I raised it to $1,500. Going to $2,500 or higher didn't make a lot of difference.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:31 PM   #13

I've found the point of diminishing returns starts around $1,500.
Stormy Kromer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:33 PM   #14

Every three years or so we sit down with our insurance agent and review all aspects of our insurance: home, auto, umbrella. We tweak changes sometimes. I think we have a $1000 deductible on home and 0% on autos (older cars, no commute, well below our budget needs).

Twice in the past 20 years we had a basement flood from malfunctioning AC. Mostly carpet replacement. In fact, the first time was fantastic, we decided to replace the entire carpet with something nicer and saved quite a bit off of the total cost. We've been with the same company since 1984, so we get discount for being a steady customer.

It's a good idea to review insurance periodically. The agent can make tweaks and can quickly adjust coverage to meet your current needs.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Every three years or so we sit down with our insurance agent and review all aspects of our insurance
Yeah, we usually do that too. We were supposed to come in in 2020, but that became a low priority when COVID hit.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:04 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Our deductible(s) are $1k for "content" and 1% for the "home". After that, everything is insured for replacement cost up to the policy maximums.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:16 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

We are paying 30-40% less than we paid with the company that changed our deductible for wind damage from a flat amount to 1% of coverage. Any way you look at it homeowners coverage is usually a high value product but it still sucks how they jack up tour rates sometimes. That’s when it’s time for a change.
Our auto coverage jumped up because our carrier decided they didn’t like an adult child on our policy. We asked for fresh quotes from several providers and amazingly a few couldn’t even be bothered to reply, including our current broker. We switched to The Hartford AARP Plan and it saved us 30%. Our broker called after the switch to see why we switched. Now they call to wish us Happy New Year! So far they still have our homeowners policy.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:20 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Policy on home deductible is $1,300. We pay $1300 per year and that is with earthquake insurance whish has a 15% deductible.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:32 PM   #19

My deductible on my first house was $100, then I increased it to $250, to $500, and it's been $1000 for years now. I asked about increasing it even higher to $1500 as my premiums continued to rise, and I didn't think the small drop in the premium was sufficient. If I needed to make a claim over the next 7 years that hit the higher deductible, it would break even. So I left it at $1000, which looks like the best compromise.
GenXguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:51 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Our deductible is 1% (~$8,000). Like the others said, I wouldn't mess with insurance unless it was a substantial cost. Also, the higher deductible makes a worthy impact on our premiums.