Home repair ripoffs

FinallyRetired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
When I was working full time I settled for paying a lot for home repair because I lacked the time to do things myself. Now that I have time, I find that I have to kick the habit or get ripped off.

Two ripoffs that I hope to never repeat.

1. Removal of a hornet nest in my attic for $500 when all the guy did was go up there and spread some white powder in the area. This time I went up myself, well covered, and sprayed the nest at night with a long distance hornet spray I got for about $5. No more hornets.

2. Replacement of a slow flushing toilet that the guy said had to be replaced because the toliet had hard water deposits and could not be fixed. Another $500 for new toilet and work. This time I had the same problem with a downstairs toilet, poured in some Drano, let it sit for a few hours, and it is now flusing like new. Warning, some of the Dranos say not to use in toilets, this one was safe for toilets.

Hard to believe I was that dumb. Any other home repair ripoffs we should avoid?

If you want to save some money - go to a building site and ask the workers doing what you want done - how much would they charge.

Other rip offs:
Duct cleaning
Deck building

Just buy a new house and avoid the hassles.

I live in Georgia and generally the cost of work is reasonable - if you shop around.

SoonToRetire said:
When I was working full time I settled for paying a lot for home repair because I lacked the time to do things myself. Now that I have time, I find that I have to kick the habit or get ripped off.

...2. Replacement of a slow flushing toilet that the guy said had to be replaced because the toliet had hard water deposits and could not be fixed. Another $500 for new toilet and work. This time I had the same problem with a downstairs toilet, poured in some Drano, let it sit for a few hours, and it is now flusing like new. Warning, some of the Dranos say not to use in toilets, this one was safe for toilets....

Interesting - I'm very familiar with hard water deposits plugging the holes at the rim and interfering with a speedy flush, but given the diameter of the trap next to the bowl I can't imagine drano helping, unless it removed deposits in the jet many bowls have at the bottom. Do you remember the name of the product? Always looking for an easy chemical fix!

calmloki said:
Do you remember the name of the product? Always looking for an easy chemical fix!

It's the Drano Buildup Remover.
http://www.drano.com/plumbing-problems/

I know, I was surprised it worked but didn't have much to lose, maybe $4-5. And it worked. The plumber had told me the upstairs toilet had build up inside the rim and I believe him, but he never tried pouring a buildup remover down the toilet. I suppose with enough buildup it would keep the toilet from flushing. The toilet would drain the water, but so slow that it would not flush.

Ah - enzyme cleaner - shouldn't have any effect on mineral deposits but may help on organics - be sure to flush on a regular basis over the next week - I've used it in 1 1/2" drains and had it liquify build up, move it to the nearest elbow, and then plug up really well. Were I you I'd fill a 5 gallon bucket with hot water from the tub after the enzyme has had it's time and dump a few 5 gallon hot water flushes into the bowl.

calmloki said:
Were I you I'd fill a 5 gallon bucket with hot water from the tub after the enzyme has had it's time and dump a few 5 gallon hot water flushes into the bowl.

Mmm... OK, just flushed it three times with superhot water from the tub. If it plugs again, should I use one of those snakes or call rotorooter? Anything should be cheaper than replacing a toilet.

SoonToRetire said:
Mmm... OK, just flushed it three times with superhot water from the tub. If it plugs again, should I use one of those snakes or call rotorooter? Anything should be cheaper than replacing a toilet.

Replacing a toilet yourself isn't very difficult, unless you have some kind of fancy dancy sort of toilet. I wouldn't pay anyone to do it. May be cheaper than calling rotorooter who may very well tell you to replace the toilet.

SoonToRetire said:

You can get a new bottom-of-the-line toilet for about $80 at bLowes or Home Despot.

What is your tank water level setting? Try raising it up as high as possible without causing a continuous flow down the bowl fill tube. Also, check the flapper valve - it may be closing too soon causing a partial flush. If you have one of the newer 1.6 gallon-per-flush toilets, it will be sensitive to these things. If you decide to buy a new toilet, consider one with a large and "fully glazed" trapway that will allow massive amounts of waste to flush quickly. Happy flushing!

calmloki said:
Interesting - I'm very familiar with hard water deposits
You could stop the problem at its source-- put a water conditioner (ion exchange resin) on the pipe leading into the house. They used to be a plumbing specialty feature but Home Depot sells them for a few hundred dollars now.

Our toilets, sinks, & faucets hardly ever build up any mineral deposits. The vast majority of our toilet cleaning is done with a brush & flush. Maybe once or twice a year I'll scrape a mineral ring off the bowl with a plastic putty knife, but those minerals aren't coming from the house water!

Nords said:
You could stop the problem at its source-- put a water conditioner (ion exchange resin) on the pipe leading into the house. They used to be a plumbing specialty feature but Home Depot sells them for a few hundred dollars now.

Our toilets, sinks, & faucets hardly ever build up any mineral deposits. The vast majority of our toilet cleaning is done with a brush & flush. Maybe once or twice a year I'll scrape a mineral ring off the bowl with a plastic putty knife, but those minerals aren't coming from the house water!

Yah - back when the gal insisted on a magic water softener-esque product. $3-400? Worked through the catalytic-ionic-pixie dust method espoused by the makers of cow magnet fuel savers. Sometimes in a relationship one does that which one knows is a waste of money because to argue further would cost too much. I do agree with her: this product doesn't add any salt to the water. Or do anything else. Of any benefit.

Nords said:
I believe you are talking about the "Clear Wave"
I've been tempted to try one to get the lime out of the water,( tired of the salt game) but I've heard good and bad about this product. How does it install?

Patrick said:
You can get a new bottom-of-the-line toilet for about $80 at bLowes or Home Despot.

What is your tank water level setting? Try raising it up as high as possible without causing a continuous flow down the bowl fill tube. Also, check the flapper valve - it may be closing too soon causing a partial flush. If you have one of the newer 1.6 gallon-per-flush toilets, it will be sensitive to these things. If you decide to buy a new toilet, consider one with a large and "fully glazed" trapway that will allow massive amounts of waste to flush quickly. Happy flushing!

Cheap as I am I haven't been happy with the low-buck toilets - if you get up around $120 or so the Kohler Cadet is pretty decent. I totally agree that a big exit is a good thing. One toilet that I had to remove to unplug had Q-tips kinda basket-woven over the exit - could push a snake through, but ...stuff.. would pile on top of the weave and replug quickly. Pointed out to the renters that there were a very limited # of things that should go in the drain, and blue plastic Q-tips weren't on the list. Oddly enough, they had no idea how the Q-tips could have gotten in the toilet. Another rental mystery. Small plastic toys, pill bottles, golf balls - all love to get caught in the top of the trap and make flushing solids tough.

I've seen the plastic guide on the wax ring warp and cause problems, but on our old places the problem is usually tree roots, Rooter man can take them out, on known problem locations I spring for a $10 bottle of copper sulphate root kill in the spring and fall.

dex said:
Other rip offs:
Duct cleaning
Deck building

Can you elaborate? Wife periodically asks about duct cleaning, and we are considering a deck addition.

SoonToRetire said:
Can you elaborate? Wife periodically asks about duct cleaning, and we are considering a deck addition.
Lot's of fly by nighters in the duct field. Get a recommendation and check the BBB.
Nothing wrong with decks if it is built right and priced right.
Buy a book like "Decks from Creative Homeowner" and learn about proper construction techniques and codes. Then get as many bids as you can from insured and experienced builders.

Another rental mystery. Small plastic toys, pill bottles, golf balls - all love to get caught in the top of the trap and make flushing solids tough.

2 years ago I had 2 infant diapers make it past the tiolet .... $500 later I was wishing they'ld clog the tiolet.

Back on topic ... Learned along time ago you'll get screwed alot less if you get 3 quotes. Fact is these guys bill based on thier WORK load. Busy? Mark UP the job to justify the schedule squeeze. Need work? Make damn sure you under bid the competition.

Nobody returns your calls: good sign everyone is real busy. Delay the job if possible; or get ready to get screwed.

SoonToRetire said:

I replaced toilets in all 3 bathrooms in my house, and I am BY FAR not the most handy guy in the US.............. :LOL: :LOL:

Got low flush Eljers on sale, cost $119 at Menards. Add $9 for a wax ring and gasket kit. Total cost was $127 each.

1st toliet: took 2 hours to isntall
2nd toilet: took 1 hour to install
3rd toilet: took 42 minutes to install.

$381 to replace 2 toilets? Priceless................ :D :D

I had a toilet that wouldn't flush. Kept horsing around with it since the house was build it 1918, had very funky plumbing (sewer gas venting out sink, etc.).

Eventually, it became obvious there was a problem with the sewer lateral. As in sewage starting to seep up under basement slab.

I couldn't even begin to figure what it would have cost to have that fixed. I rented a jackhammer, bought a plumbing snake, broke out the slab, carted out sewage-laden soil, found the break, sawed off the old broken clay pipe, managed to find a boot with clamps on either side, repaired the break, installed a cleanout (thinking ahead), hauled pea gravel in, and repaired the slab.

Whew!!! Total cost was about $200. Can't imagine what I would have charged someone else, however, to do the same thing.

I couldn't even begin to figure what it would have cost to have that fixed.

How'd you figure out where to begin digging?

JPatrick said:
I believe you are talking about the "Clear Wave"
I've been tempted to try one to get the lime out of the water,( tired of the salt game) but I've heard good and bad about this product. How does it install?
We have a Kenmore Ultrasoft 100 and we're still playing the salt game. Kenmore has upgraded a mechanical timer to a microprocessor controller, but the system's chemistry is pretty well established after decades of use. Our rental home has a mechanically-controlled 10-year-old Ametek that's still going strong. Never had a single problem with either of them.

Oh, that Clearwave. You would think that the Navy's nuclear power industry has investigated all the ways to obtain pure H2O for reactor plants. The method of choice is ion-exchange resins, along with evaporative distillation and reverse osmosis. Costs & applications vary but running distillate through an IX produces the highest purity. RO is starting to get pretty darn cheap, though, and will eventually replace the Navy's shipboard evaporators.

Clearwave is voodoo science. Don't waste your money. Or for more entertainment, buy your own water-hardness meter and see if the salesman will let you test his Clearwave on your house's water pipes. But he might demur if he thinks it could be a conspiracy to make them look bad.

As for Clearwave's disparaging comments about disposing of the IX's salty effluent, well, I'll take my chances discharging all that brine into Hawaii's sewage system and the ocean.

I did some consulting for a company called FREIJE Water Treatment. They developed this product that uses audio waves to change the molecules so that the hardness does not stick to your pipes. It will even remove existing scale. Anyways, no salt, and the product works very well as WAL-MART (and many other commercial folks) have standardized their stores on this technology from FREIJE.

So, there are no-salt "water-softener" treatments that do work.

Their site is http://www.freije.com/residential.html BTW.

I've found that with few exceptions, most minor to moderate home repairs can be accomplished more quickly and far cheaper by reading up on it a bit, maybe watching someone do it on HGTV, then figuring it out as you go along.

By the time I get a contractor to call me back, get them to come out and look at the job, get me an estimate (which is never what it eventually costs, usually half to two thirds), deal with them showing up late or not showing up at all, doing half the job and then disappearing for two weeks, then doing a half assed job...its far easier and takes less time to just do it myself.

For jobs requiring special tool(s), I sometimes rent them but often just buy them, then I have the tool forever and can loan it to other morons who buy stuff they'll only use once or twice in exchange for their oddball tools ;) This is easily rationalized by noting that the cost of the tool is cheaper than the cost of paying someone to do the job.

I used to get wasp nests in my attic all the time. Unfortunately, they built their nests inside the blown in insulation and there wasnt any access from the attic side to spray them. $2000 was the quote to remove them.

I ended up using an electric leaf blower and about 25' of pvc drain pipe. Stuck the pipe into the intake 'mulcher' side of the blower and duct taped it in place. Tapping on the side of the house near their entry to the attic, I managed to coerce almost all of them into coming out and buzzing around in a nice dense cloud where I vacuumed them up and made wasp mulch out of the lot of them. Returning the next morning I gave them a second round which all but eliminated the workers. I then turned the pipe around to the blower side, stuck the pipe up next to the crack they were entering through and dumped a cup of Sevin insecticidal dust into the intake hopper. That coated their entry and probably blew a quarter cup right into the nest where they all died within a few hours. That winter I'd go up in the attic and dig up the nest. One was a couple of feet long, a foot wide and more than six inches thick.

Since I had to do that a bunch of times over 7 years, I'm glad I figured out how to do it with $30 worth of drain pipe (which I also used in a similar hookup with a 'u' joint on the end to blow leaves out of my second story gutters), an old electric leaf blower and a buck worth of bug dust.

It was also somewhat fun, and thoroughly amused my neighbors.

As far as the other stuff, as far as my experience runs anything thats small enough to come out of a duct will come out on its own and anything that isnt wont. I usually get a flexible vacuum hose from the shop vac and vacuum out all the registers back to a foot or two. Generally all I get are nails and bits of wood leftover from the original construction. When I've removed ducts, the 'low spot' in each duct run usually has a whole bunch of nails, small kids toys and other jetsam. Nothing that was going to blow out or cause much of a problem. Most ducts that were 15+ years old had a coating of greasy dust in them that could be removed but would likely be quite quickly replaced by more greasy dust. As far as whether this greasy dust was allergenic, had mold or dust mites in it...well...the average carpet, sofa or mattress is a far better and more prolific breeding ground for these items.

Only thing you have to watch out for with water softeners is the salt speeding up the corrosion of iron pipes and the nibbling loss of copper and solder due to mineral induction by the softened low mineral 'hungry' water. Soft water wants to absorb any mineral it can come in contact with. My old house had a softener and very hard water coming in...many of the pipes had a little blue 'dribble' at the joints. Probably not a problem in a well installed plumbing system, but if you have a few flakey joints or a thin pipe somewhere...

Toilets? Pay under a hundred and you're not going to get a very good toilet. Costco is selling one right now for about $80 and it looks pretty good, for a lone violation to that rule. Generally at about $180-200 you're getting something well made with good flow and long life parts. Clean all of the old wax off of the drain, let it dry fully, make sure you put a rag into it while working so you dont breathe any sewer gas, seal up any cracks/seams and the area around where the drain meets the floor with good silicone caulk, let that dry over night, use the extra thick wax ring WITH the plastic 'horn' on the toilet and you'll have little trouble from that ever again. The hardest parts of this job are any rusted on securing nuts, which you may have to cut with a grinder or saw, and picking the thing up and putting the new one down.

Speaking of which, I have one downstairs that moves about 1/4" every time I use it...which probably means that when they took it up to replace the linoleum a few years ago they reused the wax ring or didnt put it on right and I've got a couple of square feet of floor AND a toilet to replace :p

CybrMike said:
I did some consulting for a company called FREIJE Water Treatment. They developed this product that uses audio waves to change the molecules so that the hardness does not stick to your pipes. It will even remove existing scale. Anyways, no salt, and the product works very well as WAL-MART (and many other commercial folks) have standardized their stores on this technology from FREIJE.

So, there are no-salt "water-softener" treatments that do work.

Their site is http://www.freije.com/residential.html BTW.

Got any independent studies on these things? I have a tough time believing that major companies that are forced to treat their water wouldn't be jumping all over this.

here's some de-bunking - I have not read it through, it may or may not be a good source, it's the first I came across.

http://www.chem1.com/CQ/aquacrack.html#DOLPHIN

-ERD50

tryan said:
How'd you figure out where to begin digging?

started where the stench emanated (was oozing up at edge of slab pour. Broke out concrete with jackhammer. Dug down to the pipe. Followed pipe until I found the break. Jackhammered where necessary. Repeat, and rinse REALLY well.

Back
Top Bottom