Homeowners Facing Eviction Trash Properties

So called banks did make a bad business decision when they, assuming house prices would continue in a bubble forever, made the bad loans.

The banks knew the high likelihood of these kinds of problems, but figured the government would bail them out with your tax money.

What do YOU think?

Local TV (WHIO) had a report on property clean up companies finding abandoned animals in foreclosures. If you can't take care of the animal, at the very least call the authorities before you cut and run.

This is despicable. How do people live with themselves after doing this?

The banks knew the high likelihood of these kinds of problems, but figured the government would bail them out with your tax money.

What do YOU think?

Wasn't certain members in Congress pushing for easier lending standards so everyone could be in a house? Well they got what they wanted for a little while.

Those people that left pets in the homes should be prosecuted. There are laws that could be used.

They deserve a little jail time for it. :bat:

I still don't see how that would cost more than $10k or whatever number you wanna pick as the decrease in value of the house due to vandalism. Wouldn't the cops do a lot of the leg work? If my truck gets vandalized, I don't hire people to file the report. The insurance co. gives me a free estimate, etc. Not enough cops for this type of work?

Good thing I don't run a bank then, I guess. Sorry, I'm an engineer who just likes to know how everything actually works.

-CC

There may not be enough cops to do the work in that area, but that's probably not the problem. The bank MUST be willing to send representatives to court. The constitutional issue is that the State (prosecutor) has be able to put a warm body on the witness stand to testify as to every fact that is offered into evidence, deriving from the defendant's right to question his accusers. And the first fact that the state has to prove is that a crime was committed, and the owner of the property is the only entity who can testify to that.

Businesses, especially smaller ones, frequently decide that their path of least resistance is to accept their losses and get on with things rather than deal with the schedule interruptions and time investment that a trial involves. In business time=money.

When I was doing online fraud investigations and received a complaint from someone in say, Nevada, my first question to them was "Are you willing to travel to Maryland for court?" If the answer was "no" that stopped it right there. Why would I spend days or even weeks of my time (paid for by the taxpayers) investigating an offense knowing that it had no prayer of being successfully prosecuted? Same thing with the banks and vandalized houses.

A lot of times people are hopping mad about being a crime victim, but when they find out THEY have to make some effort at prosecution they lose interest quickly. All they have to do is take the time to come to court but they don't want to be bothered, so that says a lot about how concerned they really are.

Ahh, thanks for the explanation, Walt.

-CC

Animal abandonment happens all the time in our society and no one is charged, much less convicted. It says a lot about a society that would tolerate without reprecussion the abandonment of pets in a house to slowly starve to death. Those former home/pet owners should be prosecuted.:rant:

the majority of the world's population treats their children a lot worse, so this isn't that bad

I showed a house a couple of days ago, as a realtor representing a buyer. It was only 2 years old but quite sad. Besides the usual damages, someone even broke part of the wall and took out the copper pipes behind the wall. They probably sold it for $50 while it costs $20,000 to reinstall.

There may not be enough cops to do the work in that area, but that's probably not the problem. The bank MUST be willing to send representatives to court. The constitutional issue is that the State (prosecutor) has be able to put a warm body on the witness stand to testify as to every fact that is offered into evidence, deriving from the defendant's right to question his accusers. And the first fact that the state has to prove is that a crime was committed, and the owner of the property is the only entity who can testify to that.

Black list them for future loans! They present a High risk! That will make them responsible for their actions... If the house was damaged... no matter how or who... You are on the list.

Banks and Mortgage lenders should build a list of the damaged homes and refuse to lend to these people money in the future (say 20 years)... they pose a high risk. Obviously a high interest rate does not mitigate the risk. Or if a loan were to be granted... require them to hold PMI until they have 50% equity in the home or pay 30 to 50% down. Plus, Banks providing HELOCS and Seconds should be wary and mitigate the risk.

Homeowners in Las Vegas are doing major vandalism to their homes after the banks foreclose and eviction notices are delivered. They even remove major appliances from the walls and then advertise them in the newspaper to get the highest price. The worst crime is when they vacate the premises and then lock their dogs or cats in to do further damage to the property while showing no sympathy at all for the innocent animals. Banks are now paying the tenants anywhere from $300 to $2,800 to leave their house peacefully without destroying it first. It seems that some consumers have lost any sense of morality. Financial institutions rarely attempt to have the former homeowners prosecuted because it's simply too much trouble. With 1.9% of houses now in foreclosure in Las Vegas, banks are increasingly paying the piper for succumbing to such liberal standards on subprime loans in their greedy quest to increase profits.

Buyers' Revenge: Trash the House After Foreclosure - WSJ.com

I have always said Humans are well animals! Disgusting idiots 98% of the population.

The way I had this explained to me in 1978 (when looking for our first home, in San Diego) is as follows.

The reason you can expect considerable vandalism in a foreclosed home, is the inherent dispute between the former owners and the mortgage company. The former owners feel like the mortgage company/bank didn't give them enough slack so that they could keep the home. Otherwise, they would have to blame themselves and most people just don't. So, knowing that the home is going to the mortgage company/bank, whom they think caused the dispute in order to "steal" their home, they vandalize.

This is one reason why foreclosed homes are often a bit cheaper than other homes on the market. When you buy such a home, you should expect both visible (feces spread about, broken windows) and non-visible (concrete in the drains, etc) vandalism that you have to repair before the home is habitable.

My particular 'favorite' was a frozen chicken stuffed waaay back in the AC ducting. :p

ROFL!!!! The one that sticks in my mind is the foreclosure that we looked at in El Cajon in 1978. It had a 5'x7' by 4' deep hole through the hardwood floor and subfloor in the living room, courtesy of the former owners (a motorcycle/drug gang, according to the neighbors).

Black list them for future loans! They present a High risk! That will make them responsible for their actions... If the house was damaged... no matter how or who... You are on the list.

Banks and Mortgage lenders should build a list of the damaged homes and refuse to lend to these people money in the future (say 20 years)... they pose a high risk. Obviously a high interest rate does not mitigate the risk. Or if a loan were to be granted... require them to hold PMI until they have 50% equity in the home or pay 30 to 50% down. Plus, Banks providing HELOCS and Seconds should be wary and mitigate the risk.

That sounds fair to me. Any bank should be able to know the history of someone applying for a loan.

Does this happen in reality? Or at some point is the slate wiped clean (like a statute of limitations?)?

-ERD50

supposedly some banks have blacklists where if you default on a credit card they will never give you another one

in reality all this stuff is securitized and sold off so most banks don't really care anymore. check the investments of your money market fund sometime. it's all credit card and auto loan debt

funny thing is i defaulted on a car loan like 11 years ago and a few years ago got a CC from the same bank. after the whole subprime thing hit i started getting collection calls again. i guess they are shaking anyone they can for anything to keep earnings up

Back
Top Bottom