Honestly, how did we miss this?

I think it might seem like most people saw it coming because most people here are prepared for a big or even catastrophic downturn at any time. Nobody knew exactly when it would happen, but we knew it was inevitable...even if we didn't see it in our lifetimes!

Interesting post over at Bogleheads on "It's not different this time".

A special post by nedsaid that is priceless.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=308970

Indeed, thanks for sharing that and it’s good to read from the perspective of world history. The author, nedsed, seems to be saying, and I paraphrase, “This time is different and painful but, then, every time is different and the world has been through much worse and survived.”

There’s another classic, multi-year Bogleheads string there called “A Time to EVALUATE Your Jitters,” which helps to read. https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79939

I’m dedicated to the Boglehead style of investing, my own portfolio was built to weather storms and I am staying the course. Good luck to all!

Last edited:
I feel so stupid for missing this, especially since most people here saw it coming. And doubly stupid for not knowing whether I should get out now before or stick with what I've got.

Don't feel bad. I'm triple stupid if I include the fact that I don't even know what I don't know.

One more time that rather than staying the course, it's more like deer in the headlights.:confused:

I feel so stupid for missing this, especially since most people here saw it coming. And doubly stupid for not knowing whether I should get out now before or stick with what I've got.

Give yourself a break. If investors sold everything every time there was bad news in the papers, there would be no use for securities markets at all, because everyone would always be in 100% cash.

I don't think most people here saw this coming!! This is more than anyone could have thought up in advance. If they did see it coming, it was one of 25 they saw coming in the last 10 years.

I saw it was coming, and that was the entire problem. I thought it was going to be a nothing burger just like SARS, Ebola, Asian Bird Flu, etc. In other words not our problem, ha. Fortunately I am mostly in utility preferreds and they have basically recovered.

Not sure I understand. Even it's just "spending money", you can sell losers rather than winners for that, if you have any.

Maybe he means the spending money is in bank accounts thus no capital losses to realize.

Right. In early December, almost every dime is in a 'retirement account' of some type...bank account is almost gone. Then in late December, I pull from tIRA or 401k to under 400%FPL. When the account gets near zero again, I pull from Roth, as needed, to get me through to December. So, no tax loss harvesting possible in this case.

Back
Top Bottom