Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

House cost as % of net worth
Old 02-27-2021, 09:30 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

House cost as % of net worth

My apologies if this question has been asked before but I did a quick search and could not find the answer. Curious on what % of net worth is a good number to have invested in a house. I am talking primary residence. The reason I ask is that we are retired, 64YOs, we are building a house and it is ending up costing around 15% of our net worth. I was wondering what other people have in a similar situation.
rafapark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2021, 09:34 AM   #2

I don't know if there is a rule of thumb, but 15% doesn't sound like anything I'd worry about.

My home is currently valued at about $450k, that's for a SF 3/2 under 2000 sf. If I moved I'd be paying at least $600k for something a little bigger. Average COL area.

If you have a NW of $2m, then 15% is $300k. I'd place any bet that for most folks here with a NW of 2M their home is currently at least $300k.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:41 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Let NW be your net worth before house purchase. Let HP be the price of the house.

If you can retire safely on NW-HP, you're good to go. Percentage doesn't matter.
twaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:46 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
A person's age really determines this to a large degree.
My first house was 560% of my net worth... after monthly expenses I had $20 left over !!

Every year our home (diff home) becomes a smaller % of net worth as our investments go up a lot more than our house does. Our house is worth what we paid 18 yrs ago
Old 02-27-2021, 09:52 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Our house is probably around 5.5% of our net worth. We’ve been here twenty years and prices have not appreciated a great deal over that time compared to some places. We’re in the Philly suburbs.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:52 AM   #6
Administrator

Our home value is approximately 20% of our net worth. Interestingly enough, the real property taxes, insurance, maintenance and repairs on it run about 20% of our spending.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:52 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

15% sounds good to me. We are about the same pct, and we are in mid 60’s, but I built the house in 1994.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:04 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm at 30%.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:09 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
A person's age really determines this to a large degree.
+1

This is a line item in my annual NW spreadsheet I have going back to 2001. At that time (age 43), House value was over 70% of net worth. At the end of last year, it was less than 14%. So 15% is not an issue.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:09 AM   #10

I don't think there is any general answer, because house prices are incredibly variable depending on where you live. If the price of the house you're building is reasonable for your area, and you can afford it without a stretch, then you're fine.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:12 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

We built a new house 4 years ago that equals 20% of our NW not including the house. We feel comfortable so 15% would be even better.
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:23 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafapark View Post
My apologies if this question has been asked before but I did a quick search and could not find the answer. Curious on what % of net worth is a good number to have invested in a house. I am talking primary residence. The reason I ask is that we are retired, 64YOs, we are building a house and it is ending up costing around 15% of our net worth. I was wondering what other people have in a similar situation.
When I bought my Dream Home (back in 2015) it was 16% of my net worth, and the major landscaping project that I did immediately to make it what I wanted, plus the costs of moving and selling my prior home, added another 6%. So, overall the purchase and move into my present home cost me 22% of my 2015 net worth. By now, using Zillow's estimate of its value, it represents 15% of my 2021 net worth.

I am perfectly comfortable with a home of this value, and would have felt OK if it had cost 2-3 times as much. I was very happy that the house that I truly wanted, my Dream Home, did not cost that much.

I am a 72 year old woman living alone, and I am a total homebody. I don't have any desire to travel or spend money on RVs, boats, planes, and so on. But my home is extremely important to me and being able to live in this wonderful home brings me a lot of value as I grow older. I think a lot depends on your understanding of what is important to YOU (not me!).
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks
Old 02-27-2021, 10:58 AM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRon View Post
We built a new house 4 years ago that equals 20% of our NW not including the house. We feel comfortable so 15% would be even better.
Yes.That is how I figured. When we started constuction we targeted 10% of our net worth but with all the additions and modifications is now 15%. We are also targeting 15 % to 20% of our total expenses for house expenses when we move.

Thank you all for your responses.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:58 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

House is ~10% net worth. House has appreciated 350% in 30 years.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:00 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Let NW be your net worth before house purchase. Let HP be the price of the house.

If you can retire safely on NW-HP, you're good to go. Percentage doesn't matter.
It's really just this simple. That's a whole let better than some almost arbitrary number that doesn't consider age, whether you have a large pension, and so on.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:09 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I would think as a general concept 15% is not overly stressful on a budget.
I personally would personally give pause at over 30%.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:15 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I am a 72 year old woman living alone, and I am a total homebody. I don't have any desire to travel or spend money on RVs, boats, planes, and so on. But my home is extremely important to me and being able to live in this wonderful home brings me a lot of value as I grow older. I think a lot depends on your understanding of what is important to YOU (not me!).
Come on....blow that dough!

My combined values on my home and vacation condo is a little over 16% of my NW. I paid a little less on the condo than I did on my house but now the condo is worth a lot more. Not much growth on homes in small town MS.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:19 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I would think as a general concept 15% is not overly stressful on a budget.
I personally would personally give pause at over 30%.
What's the math behind those %s?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
What's the math behind those %s?
No exact math, just based on general spending percentages that I and other folks I know have spent on non house needs.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Another calculation we made was that even if the house was 15% of our net worth we still can withdraw 2.5% of our balance for our total yearly expenses. Maybe that is a better calculation.