Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Funny to see so many wrapped around the axle .... EVERY flip has utilities and taxes - occupied or not. No one works in the DARK. The heat is on and your taxes come due whether you live there or not.

Maybe the utilities were a little higher because someone lived there ... but it's negligible. Living there for "free" makes sense to me ... to think otherwise is nit-picking.

I think that the nit-picking is in the description of the amount of gain....

If the amount of gain claimed takes out ALL expenses paid on the property, then I guess you could say "I made a net profit of X and lived there for free".....

Or, you could say "I made a gross profit of Y and had living expenses of Z"... that would mean Y-Z = X.....

You could not make the statement that you had gross profit of Y and lived for free.... in this case, who paid for Z

I do not think anybody is saying that you are not saving money by living there instead of someplace else....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

OP here. Of course I had some expenses like utilities and taxes but no rent expense. So maybe my statement should be that I made $100,000 and lived RENT FREE!

As for the issue of lost opportunity, what other investment could I have invested in and made $100,000 over 2 years TAX FREE and also got a place to live rent free?

You guys just can't believe that money can be made like this. Believe me it can be done.

Jo Ann
golftrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftrek View Post
OP here. Of course I had some expenses like utilities and taxes but no rent expense. So maybe my statement should be that I made $100,000 and lived RENT FREE!

As for the issue of lost opportunity, what other investment could I have invested in and made $100,000 over 2 years TAX FREE and also got a place to live rent free?

You guys just can't believe that money can be made like this. Believe me it can be done.

Jo Ann
Why do you think no one believes people make money flipping houses?
Can't anyone who has a net profit (after deducting all the costs of housing and remodeling) when he sells his primary residence also claim he lived for free plus made whatever profit? I can think of plenty of people who did that including DD, for whom it was a little more than $100k and it was only 14 months. I will have to let her know.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You guys just can't believe that money can be made like this. Believe me it can be done. Jo Ann
I know several who have made lots of money in real estate, but it usually involves buying, then upgrading to a newer home while renting the other. Lather, rinse, repeat. I've never wanted to be a landlord though. As far as "flipping" is concerned, IF you can buy right, but for much of the country, the rabid rapid appreciation needed to make big bucks in a short time isn't there.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Quote:

Jo Ann
Why do you think no one believes people make money flipping houses? ...
Exactly. I don't doubt that people can make (or lose) money flipping houses, not at all. But if anything is driving any dis-belief, it is the OPs insistence on faulty accounting.

Quote:
Ridiculous. I have a mortgage, others have paid-off their home, we're not paying rent, so I guess we can say we live RENT FREE! True, but meaningless.

Quote:
Doesn't make any difference whether the opportunity would have made more or less after-tax than your investment. The point is that you need to take it into account (whatever it was) for a true picture.

SPY is up ~ 55% over the past 2 years. I think you said you put up $250K - so SPY would have returned ~$137,500 ($117,000 after 15% taxes on gains) but there would be no working, no living in a home being remodeled, no added expenses (those numbers are net of expenses). That doesn't mean you shouldn't do what you are doing, but they are all factors.

Quote:

Jo Ann
Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Accounting issue aside, if the OP enjoys doing what they do for the gain that they get, why not? I know I do not have the temperament to do the same, but people are built differently. It is the same as being a landlord. People can make a good living doing that, I am sure, and perhaps may be pitying office workers who are cooped up in a cubicle all day.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #87
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
As for keeping kitchen remodels cost -effective I re-did my daughters kitchen 18 months ago by resurfacing her laminate coutertops with new Wilsonart High definition laminate and they look superb. Less than $500 to do the entire kitchen.
wmc1000
Would you please share more info about this laminate? My 10-year-old kitchen countertops got burnd by heated pot last year. How much per square foot? Are you an experienced craftsman to be able to resurface it? I've checked some website for the Wilsonart High definition laminate. Where did you buy it from?
suming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't think my family would go along with this strategy, and my skill set would be a bit lacking. But I admire the OP for pulling it off. The guy who built our house used to move into a new build (basically cookie cutter) in our long expanding neighborhood (coming to an end). Since the floorplans were very similar (they tweak a bit each year) and the schools the same (they have kids) it was about as easy as it gets. I've noticed that they have stayed put the last several years. I assume his wife got tired of it after 3 or 4 of these. At least she didn't have to live in remodels.
Sesq is offline   Reply With Quote