House prices to drop much lower: Greenspan

In addition to the new strip malls cropping up, has anyone else noticed a flurry of new bank branch offices sprouting? One area here in NJ (Morristown) has at least 10 brand new bank branches in the last 6 - 12 mos!!! (some are just buying/rehab'ing existing buildings) Aren't people doing more online banking:confused:?

I live in PA outside and Philly and said the same thing to my wife the other day. It seems there are new banks going up everywhere. I wish the bust would hit the strip mall real estate market also. We chose to move a ways outside the city for a reason and every week it seems a new strip mall or subdivision is being announced. Existing house that are for sale have been sitting on the market over a year but new houses seem to be moving.

Houses in my neighborhood aren't seeing price reductions--they're not selling, either. I think a LOT of people already took out their overblown equity and now can't/won't lower their price below what they owe if they don't have to sell.

Houses in my neighborhood aren't seeing price reductions--they're not selling, either. I think a LOT of people already took out their overblown equity and now can't/won't lower their price below what they owe if they don't have to sell.

EXACTLY. You hit the nail on the head! There's only so low that most sellers can go. So, if the market is such that the house won't sell at that price right now, then there it sits.

EXACTLY. You hit the nail on the head! There's only so low that most sellers can go. So, if the market is such that the house won't sell at that price right now, then there it sits.

People sit still only if they do not have to sell. Some may have decided to rent it out and wait for the recovery (good luck to them).

Here's the latest Oahu newsletter from George Stott, a realtor who's been in the islands for nearly 40 years and in the business since the mid-1970s: http://stott.com/docs/Q3_2007_Newsletter.pdf

A couple excerpts:
"Total sales on Oahu continue to decline. Comparing January through September, island-wide sales were down 11.7% in 2007 compared to 2006. However, for the month of September, island-wide sales were down a whopping 20.4% comparing 2007 to 2006. The decline in July and August were both under 10%; the step change (increase) in September may merely be an aberrant or it could also be the start of much lower sales rates on Oahu."

"We have a different mix of homes selling today than what sold prior to this past March when subprime lending problems were initially identified. Last year, almost one-half of the sales to first-time buyers nationwide involved 100% financing. With first-time buyers, often there are two working spouses, so a family may have relatively high monthly income but very limited savings available for a down payment. Recently, sales of lower-end homes have been curtailed by far more stringent qualification standards. Many lenders will no longer make 100% loans and now insist upon a down payment of at least 5% or 10% which rules out many first-time buyers. The decline in sales of lower-end homes causes the median sales price to increase from where it would have been if there were a similar number or percentage of lower-end homes selling each month; i.e., the mix of homes selling is different now from what it was when buyers had far greater access to 100% financing."

"Plaguing us today are frequently changing underwriting requirements or rules. In mid-September, I attended a presentation on subprime lending problems along with about 100 other realtors. One of the speakers asked for a show of hands from those attendees that had recently had a transaction fall out of escrow because of changing underwriting criteria after the borrower had seemingly been fully approved for the loan. Almost 100 hands went up including mine... Forecasters are now projecting that the median sales price of American homes nationwide will fall this year for the first time since federal housing agencies began keeping statistics in 1950 thereby contradicting the widely held notion that there is no such thing as a nationwide housing slump... One of the speakers was the Chief Economist for the Bank of Hawaii, Paul Brewbaker, who stated his opinion again that home prices will not increase on Oahu until sometime in the 20-teens; i.e., sometime in 2013 to 2019."

Of course the news isn't all bad:
"On November 9, 2006 all 464 units in Waikiki Trump Tower sold out for more than $700 million in less than eight hours establishing new world records for both total sales dollars and total units selling at a residential development in a single day. Now, several units are back on the market ranging from #1101, a 418 sq. ft. studio unit facing Diamond Head for $639,000, to #3301, a 2 bdrm, 1,406 sq. ft. unit facing the ocean for $3,288,000."

No word on whether longboards will fit in the elevators, but let me know if you want me to accompany your realtor on a walkthrough...

Prices still climbing in Honolulu 4.8% YTD

Prices up, sales down for Oahu homes in September - The Honolulu Advertiser - Hawaii's Newspaper

Still a 24% return on your money if you bought at the first of the year, 2007! $1,500 a square foot for a studio and $2,338 a square foot (must be a penthouse!!) Of course the return will be much better when things jump up again to normal 9% annual appreciation but I'll take the 4.8% while rents are rising at a good rate. All tenants are paying before or on due dates!

Well there is still a bunch of money in the hands of many.

"... Last year, almost one-half of the sales to first-time buyers nationwide involved 100% financing. With first-time buyers, often there are two working spouses, so a family may have relatively high monthly income but very limited savings available for a down payment. "

If any downturn of the economy under which people becomes unemployed ever occurs, these people will have a rough time paying their mortgage.

I completely agree, it seems like people think this is a short term thing and
will be all over in a few months. With new home builders lower their prices
and providing incentives, it makes getting a new vs old a no brainer decision.
TJ

The prices for starter homes are really dropping in SW Florida . We drove by a few for sale in the $150,000 range .It's been a long time since I've seen that price on a small,older home in a decent neighborhood .

So riddle me this, why are is there so much new construction going on in so many of these sun-belt locales given the impending decline? It seems no matter where I travel I see tons of new cookie cutter communities springing up.

I thought that too, but those projects were in the works for a long time. I got a letter form Del Webb telling me that they have scrapped a project I was interested in. The Wiregrass community in Florida is no more. Since it was in the planning stages when this housing slump hit it was easy fro them to pull the plug. I bet a year from now you don't see much new development going on in the Sunbelt. Just my 2 cents.

Now, several units are back on the market ranging from #1101, a 418 sq. ft. studio unit facing Diamond Head for $639,000, to #3301, a 2 bdrm, 1,406 sq. ft. unit facing the ocean for $3,288,000."

I miss the Islands, or at least the Islands as they were half a century ago when I was growing up there. But even a 418 sq ft cell in Heaven itself would not be worth $639,000 to me!

Prices like these are astonishing and even entertaining to me now that I live in a lower cost area. :)

In my neighborhood, the house is selling if the price is correct. From my observation, the price should be the 2003 price, which is 10 to 15% lower than the 2005 peak.

If I didn't know better, I'd think Greenspan went short on the U.S. stock market and the dollar. He sure seems to be trying to talk them down these days...

If I didn't know better, I'd think Greenspan went short on the U.S. stock market and the dollar. He sure seems to be trying to talk them down these days...

I wonder if his investments are still being monitored by the SEC or other independent organization since he still has some influence in the markets.

I'd love to peek over his shoulder to see what he's investing in these days.

In my neighborhood, the house is selling if the price is correct. From my observation, the price should be the 2003 price, which is 10 to 15% lower than the 2005 peak.
This would be a whole lot more useful if we knew where this was. Or, if you are cloaked, approximately where it is.

Ha

I wonder if his investments are still being monitored by the SEC or other independent organization since he still has some influence in the markets.

I'd love to peek over his shoulder to see what he's investing in these days.

I don't think he has as much influence as he thinks he has.

I agree that he may still have a little influence, though.

I don't think he has as much influence as he thinks he has.

I agree that he may still have a little influence, though.

He doesn't have power over interest rates any more, but he still makes the news when he has something important to say.

He doesn't have power over interest rates any more, but he still makes the news when he has something important to say.

I don't think he has anything "important" to say anymore. He's out hyping his book and trying to drum up consulting contracts. He probably will say or do anything to keep himself feeling "in."

I wish he would just shut up and go away. I don't know why the press hangs all over him.

I wish he would just shut up and go away. I don't know why the press hangs all over him.

Simple:

- doom & gloom attracts attention, so they will always cover it
- people are used to paying attetion to Greenie, so teh media has an easy in
- maybe they owe him some favors and helping pump his book is an easy way to settle up

I wish he would just shut up and go away.
Andrea's tired of him hanging around the house. She married him for better or worse but not for lunch...

I bet he burns through lunchtime conversation companions fairly quickly.

He's just trying to answer the same question that we all hear "What do you do all day?" Someone needs to tell him to join this board.:cool:

More Housing Inventory Data-Look at Seattle!

PJ-AL063_HOUSIN_20071003214959.gif

Back
Top Bottom