Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

About 10%.

Current home is large enough, nice enough, and located well enough that we don't want a more expensive home. It would just require more "stuff" to fill.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

10% I feel there are better places to invest than a single family home.
nativenewenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:24 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

11% on our main home and an additional 13% on the second one. One will eventually be sold to pad the portfolio and trim expenses.
bigcmagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

6.2%.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

About 7%
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #46

24%
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #47

Residence ~12%
Summer place ~2.5%

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong. - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Actual 8%
Including imputed value of rental penthouse 70%!
Luckily we use that money to generate returns instead.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:35 PM   #49

Approximately 10%. Plenty of room with 4100 SF and relatively low taxes.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #50

Some markets (like where I live) are not illiquid, and selling prices quite predictable, at least within, $20-30k, on above average homes, not mega homes.

I think there is a lot more silent wealth (and not so silent) here than other retirement forums. It makes sense on the lower end of the housing cost spectrum, now that I think about it. If someone has a $400k nest egg and SS as their only FIRE income, then they may be living on $40k a year, tax free, in a LCOL area, so a $40k condo would make sense.

I fully understand LBYM, and of course, home costs are wildly different all over. I guess, now that I think about it more, it depends on age, how long retired, not retired etc.

As an example, some one that is not a spendthrift and saves 15%, makes an inflation adjusted $100k/yr their career, their home is typically worth in the $300 - 400k range, and paid off when they retire. They didn't pay that, but that's what its worth now. I don't know any ERs that have $4M saved and only made $100k. $4M is a basic $160k income in retirement. So presumably they would have retired far sooner then 60% more than their w*rking salary would have been. But then, if they are 80 years old, their accounts could have grown to easily exceed what their home appreciation did.

I'm just surprised at so many single digit percentages of home/total assets. I would have guessed 15 -20% as a good low average.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #51

Primary residence 12%
Second home 6%

Sometime in the next few years the current primary will be divested, and the second home will become the primary.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:14 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Real estate here is red hot. I get constant solicitations to sell by mail and phone.

A well maintained wholly owned home that you like (location, climate and activities) is a blessing in retirement. You know the area and where stuff is and how to find it. Not to mention way cheaper than renting.

Yup, nine percent of net worth by house value / net worth. It's not a difficult calculation.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:18 PM   #53
Dryer sheet aficionado

Counting both of our pension values - 1.1m and 1m (per www.immediateannuities.com) - plus retirement and savings accounts, our home value is about 11% of total net worth.

FWIW, DW's pension is from state (teacher) and mine from a very stable private company. I'm retiring in a few months (age 55) and DW probably in a few years.
Sandman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:20 PM   #54

My own home, about 7%. If I include all real estate, about 70%.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Real estate here is red hot. I get constant solicitations to sell by mail and phone.

A well maintained wholly owned home that you like (location, climate and activities) is a blessing in retirement. You know the area and where stuff is and how to find it. Not to mention way cheaper than renting.

Yup, nine percent of net worth by house value / net worth. It's not a difficult calculation.
I wish my number was 0 % at least your only at 9.
Not a week goes by that our door bell doesnt ring. I have a huge collection of pens from the real estate agents. Some with flashlights, I love those. The last one gave the obligatory pen, a business card, and sent a follow up thank you note. Im gonna one day take these 7 figures, run ,fly , drive, to some tax free state, and set up shop. I hope one day my home value is zero compared to my net worth. I hate being a home owner. Maybe because all the stuff I do I started at the age of 50 ., I was supposed to do these things as right of passage in my 30's.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #56

10.7%.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like you need a motorcycle -

I have 4, but getting rid of one, 4 take up too much space inna garage.

It's nice here. I have fishing in the Delta, 3 hours to Reno, hour and a half to San Jose or Sacramento. Yosemite is a day ride.

Yup, if you don't like it where you are that would be a good reason to move. Why are you worried about taxes?
Old 07-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachfire View Post
I am just evaluating if I am an outlier in terms how much of a house we will have in retirement.
There are lots of financial outliers hanging around on ER.org, so this board may not be the best place to visit for an answer.

As others have pointed out, there are many factors to consider when 'right-sizing' a retirement residence. The ratio of residence market value to net worth may be far down the list.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #59
Dryer sheet aficionado

11.5%
EQMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:46 PM   #60

6%