Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-17-2017, 05:47 PM   #61

~7%
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2017, 05:55 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
A well maintained wholly owned home that you like (location, climate and activities) is a blessing in retirement. You know the area and where stuff is and how to find it. Not to mention way cheaper than renting.
+1
I couldn't agree more with that sentiment. However I did wonder about the rent versus buy argument, so I did some back of the envelope calculations. Turns out my monthly cost of ownership is ~$440. (I am mortgage free). The going rate to rent my condo is about $1500 per month. If I could earn a 3.3% return on investing the estimated proceeds from the sale of my condo, I would break even. So I think it would be a wash financially. But enjoying my own home is worth something!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

My 2 homes are 25% of my net worth. I have to figure this out to get the answer, because I do not care about the home values, and do not include them in my Quicken screen.

The upkeep and maintenance costs for them do show up in Quicken though, and that hurts like the Dickens at times.

PS. For the past 5 years, the cost of owning the homes, i.e. taxes, repairs, updates, utilities, insurance, is 25% of my total living expenses. Quicken does not lie.

PPS. Oops, made an error. It is worse. It's 34% of total living expenses!
Old 07-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

32%.
We could downsize and shift the ratio dramatically. Maybe will at some point. Costs (time and $) of maintaining the home would be reason enough, but the kids are here likely for a few more years.
ExitLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:05 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

I don't know what percentage of expenses my house is, I don't know what my total expense is. I don't budget or track. I don't care. Yes, life is good -

I can tell you that my meager SS survivor income covers my housing, utilities, insurance (5 motor vehicles, house, umbrella, earthquake and health) mobile phone and primo DTV package. Chump change, 15 grand a year. If I rented my place it would cost me 15 grand a year just for rent.

I like being a homeowner -
Old 07-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

25%. Still working in a HCOL area.
MikeWillRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:25 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

20% for us - probable we would downsize at some point
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:32 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I don't know what percentage of expenses my house is, I don't know what my total expense is. I don't budget or track. I don't care. Yes, life is good -

I can tell you that my meager SS survivor income covers my housing, utilities, insurance (5 motor vehicles, house, umbrella, earthquake and health) mobile phone and primo DTV package. Chump change, 15 grand a year. If I rented my place it would cost me 15 grand a year just for rent.

I like being a homeowner -
My, my, you have positioned yourself well

One the few times I have been envious.....My cost for health and auto insurance alone is what you spend on the total.

As I heard in Australia - Good on ya, mate!
Old 07-17-2017, 07:39 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

25%-ish

- Jack Bogle
Lawrence of Suburbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:10 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Based on purchase price in 2009, it is 9%. Or 14% if based on the current county appraisal. Will downsize after 2023.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:11 PM   #71
gone traveling

Challenging question:

It depends when you measure doesn't it?

So when you buy a house, assuming you stay in the time tested affordability index and buy about 25%-30% of your gross income, you should end up with your house at a percentage of about 25% of your net worth when paid off yes or no?

However, if you pay off early, or measure right when you retire your other assets haven't caught up resulting in a higher percentage. On the other hand if you under bought your house living in a trailer when you could afford a McMansion your percentage could easily be very small. Same holds true if you win the lottery or other economic good fortune without an upgrade in lifestyle your percentage may appear very small.

So the true question among this group is... "are you living at, below, or above your expected level of housing given your level of income and retired wealth?" Figuring the size and amenities will vary by location.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:17 PM   #72
Confused about dryer sheets

22% but paid for home
krwellnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:22 PM   #73

8% for primary residence, 13% for all property. No mortgages.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #74

40% based on realistic market value. (Similar home closed on our block last Friday).

But it's paid for and nest egg is enough to cover our needs without taking equity out of the house. We may downsize in the future... But we still have teenagers under roof.

I tend to ignore the home equity except when thinking about long term care.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:28 PM   #75
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I wish my number was 0 % at least your only at 9.
Not a week goes by that our door bell doesnt ring. I have a huge collection of pens from the real estate agents. Some with flashlights, I love those. The last one gave the obligatory pen, a business card, and sent a follow up thank you note. Im gonna one day take these 7 figures, run ,fly , drive, to some tax free state, and set up shop. I hope one day my home value is zero compared to my net worth. I hate being a home owner. Maybe because all the stuff I do I started at the age of 50 ., I was supposed to do these things as right of passage in my 30's.
Mine IS 0%! But then again, I live in a van down by the river. Well, OK. It is an old motor home that was given to me and it is by a creek that only runs in the Spring.

I am building my house, but I just consider it a hobby. Some day when I get a certificate of occupation I am sure the county will tell me what they think it is worth.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
I don't understand these 8 & 10% responses. If your house is worth $400k, then your non home assets are from 4.6 to 3.6M? (assume house fully paid) Really?

Also, what value do you use to add a pension to your assets? The equal of a 4% SWR? So is $60k in pension the same as $1.5M in assets?
I live in a small apartment in a co-op complex. I estimate its value at $100k. The rest of my portfolio is worth about $1.4M. Therefore, $100k/($1.4M+$100k) is roughly 7%.

I attribute my NW in part to living in a small apartment. First, I had a small mortgage and was able to pay it off in 1998, 9 years after I bought it. Next, a small apartment in my co-op has a low monthly maintenance charge, keeping my expenses low.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:56 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

8.6%
Sanstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:16 PM   #78

15% but that is only because we are in the Midwest.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:18 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Mine IS 0%! But then again, I live in a van down by the river. Well, OK. It is an old motor home that was given to me and it is by a creek that only runs in the Spring.

I am building my house, but I just consider it a hobby. Some day when I get a certificate of occupation I am sure the county will tell me what they think it is worth.
Nice, I enjoy your style.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #80

40%.

It's a Southern California thing. Just the way it is here.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote