Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-20-2021, 08:05 PM   #161
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Yeah, I think we are saying the same thing, actually.
Studies have shown to put it all in at once for better ROI.
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2021, 08:06 PM   #162

Quote:
Kobe one knows.
I think so but it really depends on time frame. The longer the better.
Time will tell.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:13 PM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, I think we are saying the same thing, actually.
You're right, I misread your post, sorry.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:33 PM   #164
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Should have dollar cost averaged each active trading hour over the next 10 days by dividing the total settlement into 80 increments.

ÖOr not
Old 06-20-2021, 09:37 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Should have dollar cost averaged each active trading hour over the next 10 days by dividing the total settlement into 80 increments.

ÖOr not
Why?
Old 07-03-2021, 09:46 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post

ÖOr not
Whatís the benefit?
Old 07-04-2021, 02:30 PM   #167
Recycles dryer sheets

This thread hurts my head. Bamboozled to blindly following. Scary.

Not sure itís wise to trade before the learning progresses. Missing lots of context for the advice given. The unintentional bias in this forum is strong. New user beware.
WhenIsItTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 02:40 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenIsItTime View Post
This thread hurts my head. Bamboozled to blindly following. Scary.

Not sure itís wise to trade before the learning progresses. Missing lots of context for the advice given. The unintentional bias in this forum is strong. New user beware.
What is your advice? Whatís biased about it?
Old 07-04-2021, 08:04 PM   #169
Recycles dryer sheets

Going back to the original poster, I too started my Roth IRA in 2007. However I consistently put in the yearly limits, plus rolled in an extra $10k in 2010. I am showing $106k of contributions over those 15 years. Twice what the OP put in, though he was heavier in the early years, and I contributed constantly throughout. I am currently at $234k. Don't know what my ROI would be, probably something similar to the OP as well.
PhrugalPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:23 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrugalPhan View Post
Going back to the original poster, I too started my Roth IRA in 2007. However I consistently put in the yearly limits, plus rolled in an extra $10k in 2010. I am showing $106k of contributions over those 15 years. Twice what the OP put in, though he was heavier in the early years, and I contributed constantly throughout. I am currently at $234k. Don't know what my ROI would be, probably something similar to the OP as well.
Rolled $10 by what method?
Old 07-04-2021, 10:56 PM   #171
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
Rolled $10 by what method?
Rolled in $10k from a rollover IRA. In 2010 (I believe) you were allowed to pay the tax hit on rollovers over two years instead of one, so I took advantage of that to get rid of the IRA and move the money into my Roth.
PhrugalPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:17 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrugalPhan View Post
Rolled in $10k from a rollover IRA. In 2010 (I believe) you were allowed to pay the tax hit on rollovers over two years instead of one, so I took advantage of that to get rid of the IRA and move the money into my Roth.
Oh ok. What can do this now? So the goal is to move from t401k to Roth IRA to avoid all taxes?
Old 07-05-2021, 06:19 AM   #173
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
What is your advice? Whatís biased about it?
You asked for help computing and comparing ROI. You have shown existing investments, but I didnít see where you posted a target AA. You are asking many relevant questions.

Seems you are relying heavily on others advice, originally an advisor and now forum strangers.

This forum has a strong bias for DIY and ~3 fund portfolios. I generally believe in that. You are being giving emphatic advice in that direction. These folks donít understand the relevance of this account to your overall portfolio or AA, or your comfort with executing the changes.

These topics are learnable and this broader forum is a good place to do that, but I feel like the direction is coming faster than the education in a one size fits all approach.

I would suggest to someone in your situation to keep asking questions, but hold off on making transactions until having accumulated some knowledge and confidence.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:44 AM   #174
Give me a forum ...

I think posts #64 and #81 provided the OP with the tools that he needed to answer the question in the OP.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:08 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenIsItTime View Post
You asked for help computing and comparing ROI. You have shown existing investments, but I didn’t see where you posted a target AA. You are asking many relevant questions.

Seems you are relying heavily on others advice, originally an advisor and now forum strangers.

This forum has a strong bias for DIY and ~3 fund portfolios. I generally believe in that. You are being giving emphatic advice in that direction. These folks don’t understand the relevance of this account to your overall portfolio or AA, or your comfort with executing the changes.

These topics are learnable and this broader forum is a good place to do that, but I feel like the direction is coming faster than the education in a one size fits all approach.

I would suggest to someone in your situation to keep asking questions, but hold off on making transactions until having accumulated some knowledge and confidence.
Advisor wanted to make commission and did not have my best interest. Forum strangers want to help me for free.

I did post target AA. I wanted 100% stocks but my then EJ FA had me on 10% bonds.

Whether it’s 3, 2 or 1 fund. It works out right? I now have 1 fund FZROX.
Old 07-05-2021, 12:10 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I think posts #64 and #81 provided the OP with the tools that he needed to answer the question in the OP.
I now have FZROX in my Roth IRA only.
Old 07-05-2021, 12:31 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Advisor wanted to make commission and did not have my best interest. Forum strangers want to help me for free. ...
@F.I.R.E User, both of these things are true. But I have been watching this thread and becoming increasingly concerned that you are not adding to your personal knowledge so much as just acting on the free advice. I don't think any of us here have bad intentions, but each of us has different levels of wealth, different financial strategies, and our opinions possibly conflict with each other. Also, and this is very important, none of us know your financial situation or personal circumstances in any depth at all. As a result, I think your approach seeking free advice is not likely to yield the best results for you.

As has been pointed out, you need to educate yourself. This means reading the many excellent books about serious investing like "The Coffeehouse Investor" and the "Bogleheads' Guide to Investing," and it means finding and studying the few excellent internet resources like https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started and https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf (free 16 page download). Plan to spend 6 months studying and you will be much more capable of planning an investment strategy that will work for you long term. Hopefully this study will be enjoyable for you, but even if it isn't, the alternative is ignorance and possibly even serious failure.
Old 07-05-2021, 12:31 PM   #178
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

Didnít you ? if this is troll thread?
Old 07-05-2021, 12:35 PM   #179
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Advisor wanted to make commission and did not have my best interest. Forum strangers want to help me for free.

I did post target AA. I wanted 100% stocks but my then EJ FA had me on 10% bonds.

Whether itís 3, 2 or 1 fund. It works out right? I now have 1 fund FZROX.

Glad the journey got you to a destination you are comfortable with. That is most important.
Old 07-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
@F.I.R.E User, both of these things are true. But I have been watching this thread and becoming increasingly concerned that you are not adding to your personal knowledge so much as just acting on the free advice. I don't think any of us here have bad intentions, but each of us has different levels of wealth, different financial strategies, and our opinions possibly conflict with each other. Also, and this is very important, none of us know your financial situation or personal circumstances in any depth at all. As a result, I think your approach seeking free advice is not likely to yield the best results for you.

As has been pointed out, you need to educate yourself. This means reading the many excellent books about serious investing like "The Coffeehouse Investor" and the "Bogleheads' Guide to Investing," and it means finding and studying the few excellent internet resources like https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started and https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf (free 16 page download). Plan to spend 6 months studying and you will be much more capable of planning an investment strategy that will work for you long term. Hopefully this study will be enjoyable for you, but even if it isn't, the alternative is ignorance and possibly even serious failure.
Since my thread started. I have left EJ and did in kind transfer to Fidelity. Sold all of AF shares and bought FZROX. Fidelity also credited me $135 EJ fees.

Tags
edward jones, fidelity, vanguard