Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-30-2020, 07:44 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Going to my kids. One lost a job. Another, will be out soon. Both due to Covid.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2020, 07:55 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Like I did with the first one I'll give to people in need and some individuals that do heroic work for animals. I think part of me feels weird about getting checks to be honest.

I like this board because I can say this here, but the fact that I have over 7 figures in investments and the government is giving me money is just wrong
Look forward to passing it on.

“The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect.”—Warren Buffett
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:34 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue531 View Post
I'm going to use mine to pay most of my monthly expenses for January, 2021. What will you do with yours?
we likely do not qualify but if we get anything it will all go to a local charity.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:24 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Guess I'll have to check the bank account, although I don't expect anything due to high roth conversions last year.
This year when we do taxes it will get us some.

I just sent off a $1,000 check to my personal charity, but I would have without any stimulus anyways.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:31 AM   #45

I have always believed that the free flow of money is important. The harder you try to hold on to a buck, means it is harder for a buck to flow to you. I miss travel because I was always personally able to improve the lives of folks who assisted us on our journeys. On my last trip to Zambia I know my gifts/tips were helping the communities with clean water projects that were badly needed.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:48 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

It is uplifting to see all the generosity on this thread! Like many here, we gave our first stimulus checks to local food banks. I think our income qualifies us for the recent stimulus payments, but I have not seen anything in our checking account yet. My mom will need to move to assisted living in the next few months so I will probably use anything we get this time around to help her with that. I wish the payments could be targeted more to those most in need, but I’m so encouraged to see that many here are already using theirs to help others in some way.
Zona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:54 PM   #47

I am hiring a machinist to build me some motorcycle parts to restore a classic I've had for years. Then I'm hiring a landscaper to install an irrigation system for the new lawn I want in next spring. I figure that'll burn through all that easy. I'd rather see the stimulus money go towards labor than goods. Means more ends up in the small businessman's pocket. Plus I'll pay in cash. NOT for political reasons mind you. Heaven forbid anyone cheat the governor from his fair share.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:58 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Like I did with the first one I'll give to people in need and some individuals that do heroic work for animals. I think part of me feels weird about getting checks to be honest.

I like this board because I can say this here, but the fact that I have over 7 figures in investments and the government is giving me money is just wrong
I don't think it's wrong. They are putting it into the hands of someone who understands the value of a dollar and how to put it to the best use and that's what is happening here with you, right?
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:06 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
I don't think it's wrong. They are putting it into the hands of someone who understands the value of a dollar and how to put it to the best use and that's what is happening here with you, right?

I know. It just feels odd getting free money given my total financial situation.

“The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect.”—Warren Buffett
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:42 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

The good news is I wont get a smaller amount than the last stimulus check. The bad news is I got $0.00 the first go around.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:20 PM   #51

This one is only $600. Might pay may bills for January.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:25 AM   #52

I just saw that the stimulus hit my bank account this morning. DH and I will send checks today to local charities using up all the stimulus money. We are so blessed--we do not need the money and there are so many other people who do.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:49 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Not sure we will get it, but it was an excuse for DW to donate $800 to the local no-kill animal shelter. If we do get it, think we will just send the rest there.

+1
What we do. It will quickly go back into the economy for supplies and medical treatments.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:51 AM   #54

Quote:

+1

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:55 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Mine hit too. Last time i gave a lot of it away to the tip jars when I picked up food at restaurants. I figured employees were getting hit hard on lost tips. May do the same.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:46 PM   #56

Ad a Patriotic American I'll use mine to support the oyster farmers on Chincoteague VA, the lobster fishermen in BoothBay Harbor ME, and weed farmers in Humbolt CA.
All America's finest.
As soon as we can safely travel again.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:55 PM   #57

I gave my last one to my younger brother. Much more likely to be spent. I will do that again I suppose. I don't ever communicate with that second family of my Dad but I want good things for them.
I should double down on the foodbank too.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:19 PM   #58

Got it. Bulk - already donated to relatives who are struggling, monks, UN refugees, and doctors without borders. The remaining used to pay principal of home equity line.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:39 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
Going to my kids. One lost a job. Another, will be out soon. Both due to Covid.

Ours will go to our daughter, who finished her Masters degree in late 2020 and hasn't found a job yet.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:43 PM   #60

Quote:
The problem seems to be that, unless money is distributed to most everybody, it's politically unpalatable to provide cash assistance at all.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote