Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-04-2021, 01:11 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The last stimulus was used to heavily tip food and hair services we really didn't want to disappear. This time, I am trying to nudge DW into a couple of purchases we normally wouldn't do in the past, but we can afford it (without the stimulus) and really should. Since we're at house almost 24/7 these days and probably will be for some time, they make sense.

One is for a high-quality cordless vacuum (Dyson?) to use on our vinyl luxury plank flooring that covers about half of our 2,700+ sq ft house (for cat hair/litter and dirt/dust tracking). The corded Shark works great on carpet, but it's cumbersome for hard flooring. The other is for a high-quality air purifier for our master bedroom (Austin Air?), given DW's serious reaction to "cedar fever" a year ago. The $1,200 might be enough for both.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2021, 01:48 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm going to dutifully use it for the intended reasons - - to stimulate the economy. I have always done my best to be a good citizen.

Back when I was in my early 30s, I had a neighbor that knew my wife and I were savers, during one conversation, he said needed to spend to keep the economy going! Now in our 60s, you might imagine that our networths are quite different.
But, I can't argue, the economy is still going, so maybe he did it!
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Ad a Patriotic American I'll use mine to support the oyster farmers on Chincoteague VA, the lobster fishermen in BoothBay Harbor ME, and weed farmers in Humbolt CA.
All America's finest.
As soon as we can safely travel again.
Welp...
DD2 broke her foot yesterday. Good health insurance, but no sick pay. Going to be a few weeks of no work so I'll be sending it her way.

Not like I won't be going to the shore when it's safe though.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:25 PM   #84
Dryer sheet aficionado

Retired in Jan 2020. My 2019 income made me ineligible for both stimulus checks. So I’ll be getting mine as a tax credit when I file my 2020 return.
GoodLife59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:36 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue531 View Post
I'm going to use mine to pay most of my monthly expenses for January, 2021. What will you do with yours?
Used it to pay the 2021 property taxes. No brainer.

-AM23
ArmchairMillionaire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:52 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interestingly, our posted to our inactive checking account in Vermont yesterday, which was our main checking account when the 2020 stimulus was paid out... I had contemplated closing that account but am glad that I kept it... if the transfer had failed I suspect that they would have mailed a check to our old address and perhaps it would have been forwarded to our new address.

What to do with it. First, transfer it to our new main checking account, after that... I'm thinking new golf clubs and charities.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:03 PM   #87
Dryer sheet wannabe

Gave a donation to my local Food Bank. So many people need help right now.
Fufina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:15 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

Like many others I would have rather it went to people who really need it, as we don’t. Like last time, 1/2 will get donated and the other 1/2 spent in the local economy somehow. Not by Buying some imported product from China. Well maybe some French wine or cheese😋
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:26 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Giving any stimulus I receive to local charities (that is what I did last time too). I don't need the stimulus and wish it had been given to people with lower incomes that really need it.
Same for us. We've donated all of my 1200- most to the food bank, but to a handful of others (human trafficking organizations, women's abuse centers. DH helped out some family members (always a tragedy happening with one or more. We'll do the same with the $ received just the other day.

We feel so sorry for people with money problems, again a month away from possibly being evicted. The lines for food pickup are really long in Houston. It's heartbreaking.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:30 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Donated mine to a good bank.
msanniee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:14 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

All of you are making me feel bad!
Im buying a new mower.
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:22 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

DW already lined up purchases for what local food cupboard needs....
a60dan is offline   Reply With Quote
I'll take it!
Old 01-05-2021, 07:36 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll take it!

After paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes during my working years I don't apologize to anyone for taking both the first and this second set of stimulus checks. Sure I'm a multimillionaire but since I'm retired my AGI isn't too high to qualify. I'll use it to help pay for that $60,000 Bronco my wife has reserved for 2021 for cash.
steveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:01 PM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Mine will be going towards this year’s tax bill.

*sigh*
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:08 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

This check went to my youngest son who lives at home and gave up his job to reduce the Covid risk to our household, and again missed the cut for a check of his own. I split the last check between him and charities supporting food assistance and racial equality.
winyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:00 PM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It will go into our checking account and sit there like the first stimulus payment did.

That is the philosophical issue I have with the stimulus payments... most people I know, even our kids, don't really need the money (they have not lost their jobs). I would prefer that the stimulus be targeted to those who need it more... people who have lost their jobs as a result of covid, are behind on their rent or mortgage, etc. But I guess that would be too complicated.
+1, although putting us up to 30 Trillion is not that good for your kids or grandkids, either.
maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:37 AM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

The last stimulus we gave to my adult kids and never got a thank you. This time I am keeping it and buying a new Insta 360 Pro 2 camera with it plus some yacht parts. We already received it Monday night and I already spent the money (my $600). My wife is using hers for something else.

As the US is a consumer based economy (theoretically) it is important to spend it quickly. That is how it regenerates the economy as pass through spending should work its way through the economy. However, I live in Europe so the stimulus will go to our local economy. Because of idiotic US trade policies I can no longer buy stuff in the US without massive import duties (35%) including an additional 35% on shipping costs. That is on top of the dollar falling 20% in the past month.
Old Microbiologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:35 AM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

I suspect ours will go right back to the federal government to pay our taxes.
Maidensong is offline   Reply With Quote
Saving stimulus money
Old 01-06-2021, 12:19 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

Saving stimulus money

Given my 2020 income will likely disqualify my keeping the deposit, I guess I’ll save it because I expect to have to pay it back as part of 2020 tax return.
davidfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:33 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfin View Post
Given my 2020 income will likely disqualify my keeping the deposit, I guess I’ll save it because I expect to have to pay it back as part of 2020 tax return.
If you are "overpaid" based on 2019 income you do not have to "pay it back" based on 2020. This one is under essentially the same rules as the April payment (I think the upper phase-out limit changed but nothing else).

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/do...nts-2020-04-18

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote