Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2021, 12:45 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I’ve been supporting small businesses, including some in Scotland, England, and Estonia, as well as more locally.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2021, 05:18 PM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue531 View Post
I'm going to use mine to pay most of my monthly expenses for January, 2021. What will you do with yours?
We will be helping out our unemployed daughter to pay her rent. Last one went to the food bank in our community.
HGTVFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #103
Confused about dryer sheets

I'll be using it to pay for the GRE and grad school application fees.
RailToTopShelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:41 PM   #104

Now the question is how are we going to spend the extra $2,800 per couple coming in a month or two?
Old 01-15-2021, 12:04 AM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I’ll worry about spending the extra $1400 dollars when I get it. Mostly likely it will go to my children who were hit hard by the COVID shutdowns of businesses and schools.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:12 AM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

Not retired yet and not eligible for a govt check. I prefer not being eligible and letting it go to those that really do need it.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:17 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Now the question is how are we going to spend the extra $2,800 per couple coming in a month or two?
Heh, heh, take a flier on a hot stock - or, in my case (probably) buy a new dental bridge. Old one is loose. I've been putting off dental visits because, well, you know. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:24 PM   #108

if we receive anything it, like the other, will go to local charity. we have no need of it.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:28 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

I invested the first stimulus check in foreign stock which has done really well. This second stimulus check I invested in a couple Cruise companies which is performing about what you'd expect but I hope that in three years will have doubled the money.

Like many I don't feel like I should have received any money (still working), but apparently I'm not the generous person I thought I was. Though I did give a bunch already to the foodbank, but I confess my goal was maxing out my employer's match amount when they had a double match day on Giving Tuesday. I like spending their money, heh heh heh.
UpQuark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:40 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

We are going to donate most of it to the local food bank, same as last stimulus check. I really can't bear to see kids going hungry.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:05 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
We are going to donate most of it to the local food bank, same as last stimulus check. I really can't bear to see kids going hungry.

Bless you
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:43 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

I spent it all at my local comic shop as it's the only store I frequent on a regular basis.
Out_the_Door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:58 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

We aren’t getting one because we had a small refund coming last year so my husband refused to file them. Because we are divorcing he had to do them quickly 2 weeks ago so we each can qualify for a mortgage. My son said we can claim it on 2020 taxes. So happy I won’t have to deal with this garbage in the future.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:13 PM   #114

DW sent hers along with 2021 RMD QCDs to charities.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:46 AM   #115
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
if we receive anything it, like the other, will go to local charity. we have no need of it.
This.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:57 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Our as all the others will go to our favorite Local charity.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:17 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I’ll worry about spending the extra $1400 dollars when I get it. Mostly likely it will go to my children who were hit hard by the COVID shutdowns of businesses and schools.
+1
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:17 AM   #118

Everything going toward LASEK surgery this week for my youngest son since they want to fly for the military like their older brother...different branch, though.

He got his LASIK surgery on the government's dime at Walter Reed, but only after signing his contract at the beginning of junior year.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:43 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Everything going toward LASEK surgery this week for my youngest son since they want to fly for the military like their older brother...different branch, though.

He got his LASIK surgery on the government's dime at Walter Reed, but only after signing his contract at the beginning of junior year.
Rats! I wanted to fly for the military when I was of that age, but you had to have 20/20 and PRK (at the time) was disqualifying. Interesting that LASIK is apparently OK now.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

with no effect on SS, pension, or TSP withdrawals, I feel almost guilty getting them as I don't need it. have given couple chunks to food banks and grossly overtip at restaurants
drb391 is offline   Reply With Quote