Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-22-2021, 11:25 AM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb391 View Post
grossly overtip at restaurants

Love it...I've been doing similar things...random acts of kindness..I really love it.

“The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect.”—Warren Buffett
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2021, 07:48 PM   #122

Received stimulus of $700 and change. Whenever we get a little “extra” money some unexpected expense comes up.

This months unexpected comes courtesy of our youngest daughter. She scraped up her car pretty good in the parking garage of her apartment. She’s an awesome kid the works hard and will be graduating nursing school this May. Made a deal with her that we would pay 1/2 the repair cost.

Wouldn’t you know it the cost of the repair is $1,500, so our share is $750. There goes our stimulus money.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:53 AM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Rats! I wanted to fly for the military when I was of that age, but you had to have 20/20 and PRK (at the time) was disqualifying. Interesting that LASIK is apparently OK now.
A good friend hoped to fly for USAF. He had been a pilot and certified aviation mechanic for a few years. I forget what disqualified him, but they told him he WOULD qualify to fly helicopters (Army?) - at the height of the VN conflict. ChaCHING. No sale. We both had high draft numbers thank God. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:08 AM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
Received stimulus of $700 and change. Whenever we get a little “extra” money some unexpected expense comes up.

This months unexpected comes courtesy of our youngest daughter. She scraped up her car pretty good in the parking garage of her apartment. She’s an awesome kid the works hard and will be graduating nursing school this May. Made a deal with her that we would pay 1/2 the repair cost.

Wouldn’t you know it the cost of the repair is $1,500, so our share is $750. There goes our stimulus money.
As my stepson often says, "The house always knows when you come into extra money".
Old 02-04-2021, 12:08 PM   #125
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As stated: not an issue. Time to figure out where I stand after what was supposed to be a bad year. I've given over 20k (dividends + stimulus) to kids this year as they needed it more than me.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:27 PM   #126

My 90 year old mother received her paper $600 stimulus check in the mail yesterday. Several of her friends are still waiting to receive their checks. The post office is very slow.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:32 AM   #127

Can I bang my head against a brick wall now? GS1 proudly told me he managed to pay off 1/2 his student loans while interest was frozen. I smiled and congratulated him. I think that $$ would have done more good as a 2020 Roth contribution especially if up to 10k is forgiven
Old 02-07-2021, 09:34 AM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Can I bang my head against a brick wall now? GS1 proudly told me he managed to pay off 1/2 his student loans while interest was frozen. I smiled and congratulated him. I think that $$ would have done more good as a 2020 Roth contribution especially if up to 10k is forgiven
Good for him being responsible enough to try to repay the debt he owes as soon as he can. Congrats to him and keep up the good work.
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:50 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
Good for him being responsible enough to try to repay the debt he owes as soon as he can. Congrats to him and keep up the good work.
I agree. After both my sons paying for their college, including a doctorate for one, they are both upset with the idea. They both think that 'forgiving' college debt means that now they'll pay for everyone else's going forward. It is a bitter pill to swallow and I think it is wrong.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:04 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
s big +1. the US needs more folks with that mindset.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:15 PM   #131

My $600 was divided, as I said in a previous thread, between some for charity and the rest in reserve to pay for some bathroom enhancements. I think I'll get at least some of this next round also, and that will likewise go towards the bathroom work. In fact, with what I'd already saved, that should be enough to go ahead with my purchases. So it will get spent, I guess, within 6 months of receipt. (If I can find a spare handyman/bathroom worker - I understand they are incredibly busy during this enforced period at home).
Old 02-07-2021, 04:45 PM   #132

We gave all of ours last year to charities. Will do it this year if we get a check. There are other people who need that money far worse than we do.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:46 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
We gave all of ours last year to charities. Will do it this year if we get a check. There are other people who need that money far worse than we do.
1000% in agreement
Old 02-07-2021, 04:59 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
My 90 year old mother received her paper $600 stimulus check in the mail yesterday. Several of her friends are still waiting to receive their checks. The post office is very slow.
DW and I have not yet received our $600 stimulus checks, and it doesn't look like we will (although we do qualify). The IRS initially said our check was mailed on Jan 6th. When it didn't arrive in a month, I went back to the IRS website to check again, and it now says they do not have enough information to process our checks. Huh? The first stimulus check from several months back was direct deposited into our checking account, no problem at all. Somehow they screwed that up this time. Not a big deal I guess, I'll just claim the $1200 when I file our income tax return in a month or so.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:08 PM   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Having just finished my taxes, I discovered that my AGI has gone up. If the future $1400 stimulus is based on our 2020 returns, and if the criteria are the same, I will not qualify to get that stimulus even though I did qualify to get the previous two.

I know, cue the tiniest violins playing the saddest song ever.... I'll be fine.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:03 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

My ladyfriend and I can't seem to figure out why she hasn't gotten her second stimulus check. The first one she received back in May via direct deposit. The latest one she hasn't gotten yet. When we go to the IRS website, we see that "we need more information....we are working on it...." message. She easily qualifies based on her 2018 and 2019 income, so that's not an issue. The only thing I can think of is that the IRS has cashed her check from her 2019 return but never processed her return.

She owes nearly $600 with her 2020 return, so if she hasn't gotten her check by late March, we'll just apply the $600 credit against what she owes and roll the small refund toward her 2021 taxes. Probably the simplest and best outcome for everyone.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:06 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
My ladyfriend and I can't seem to figure out why she hasn't gotten her second stimulus check. The first one she received back in May via direct deposit. The latest one she hasn't gotten yet. When we go to the IRS website, we see that "we need more information....we are working on it...." message. She easily qualifies based on her 2018 and 2019 income, so that's not an issue. The only thing I can think of is that the IRS has cashed her check from her 2019 return but never processed her return.

She owes nearly $600 with her 2020 return, so if she hasn't gotten her check by late March, we'll just apply the $600 credit against what she owes and roll the small refund toward her 2021 taxes. Probably the simplest and best outcome for everyone.
I believe the IRS was going to stop mailing out the EIP2 payments sometime around mid-January. I think the logic was twofold: (a) they wanted to avoid someone filing a tax return claiming the additional EIP there then receiving the advance payment later and either not amending (and thus getting double paid) or having to amend which is a hassle, and (b) In many cases they could just e-file their taxes with direct deposit and get the EIP that way about as quickly and efficiently. I think they simply ran out of time to send out all the direct deposits / checks / debit cards before their self-imposed deadline.

If she hasn't gotten a payment by now, I really doubt she'll get one. As you note, she can just get it with her 2020 tax return, which she can e-file starting about 4 days from now.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:54 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I believe the IRS was going to stop mailing out the EIP2 payments sometime around mid-January. I think the logic was twofold: (a) they wanted to avoid someone filing a tax return claiming the additional EIP there then receiving the advance payment later and either not amending (and thus getting double paid) or having to amend which is a hassle, and (b) In many cases they could just e-file their taxes with direct deposit and get the EIP that way about as quickly and efficiently. I think they simply ran out of time to send out all the direct deposits / checks / debit cards before their self-imposed deadline.

If she hasn't gotten a payment by now, I really doubt she'll get one. As you note, she can just get it with her 2020 tax return, which she can e-file starting about 4 days from now.
I agree with your logic in (a) but less so in (b) because (b) puts an added burden on the taxpayer, either to have to file sooner (which isn't always possible because many of the forms needed to file are arriving later) and/or it makes the filing somewhat more complicated.

I agree she is unlikely to get a check any time soon, so, as I wrote earlier and you pointed out, she will just apply the credit to her amount owed and claim a small refund. I prepare her tax returns on paper (no E-file for me, I don't trust it or any tax software programs and have been filing on paper for 35 years, hers for 16) and will do so again.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:58 AM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Having just finished my taxes, I discovered that my AGI has gone up. If the future $1400 stimulus is based on our 2020 returns, and if the criteria are the same, I will not qualify to get that stimulus even though I did qualify to get the previous two.

I know, cue the tiniest violins playing the saddest song ever.... I'll be fine.
It's based on your 2019 AGI.
mckittri2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:00 AM   #140
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Our stimulus checks (should we qualify) will go directly to the college funds of four of our five grandchildren. The oldest graduated last year and will qualify for his own stimulus check.

The key to understanding human behavior is realizing half the population is below average.
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote