How are you going to spend (or not) your stimulus check?

Blue531

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm going to use mine to pay most of my monthly expenses for January, 2021. What will you do with yours?

If we get one, we will do what we did with the last: share with DD and DS, they need it more than we do.

It will go into our checking account and sit there like the first stimulus payment did.

That is the philosophical issue I have with the stimulus payments... most people I know, even our kids, don't really need the money (they have not lost their jobs). I would prefer that the stimulus be targeted to those who need it more... people who have lost their jobs as a result of covid, are behind on their rent or mortgage, etc. But I guess that would be too complicated. :(

Giving any stimulus I receive to local charities (that is what I did last time too). I don't need the stimulus and wish it had been given to people with lower incomes that really need it.

I was very generous with someone much more in need than me around the time of the first stimulus check. This one goes into my checking account, and it's still way short of that gift, not that it should cover it.

Giving any stimulus I receive to local charities (that is what I did last time too). I don't need the stimulus and wish it had been given to people with lower incomes that really need it.
+1 It's going to our fund at the local community foundation.

Just looked and ours is pending. Will discuss with DW how best to deploy the new money. Well do something good with it.

I’m not expecting one, but if we do see one it will go to the kids.

I'm going to dutifully use it for the intended reasons - - to stimulate the economy. I have always done my best to be a good citizen. :hide:

:baconflag:

As for how I plan to stimulate the economy, I haven't decided. I'll just buy some frivolous things, or, .... I know! Maybe buy more restaurant food in order to support our local restaurants and their employees. Restaurants and bars are getting hit pretty hard around here. I can only eat so much, but I can always take any excess home with me and have it for dinner or freeze it.

Just looked and ours is pending. Will discuss with DW how best to deploy the new money. Well do something good with it.
Mine isn't there yet! I know I'm getting one, though. My bank is pretty slow so it probably just isn't posted on my account balance yet.

I would prefer that the stimulus be targeted to those who need it more... people who have lost their jobs as a result of covid, are behind on their rent or mortgage, etc. But I guess that would be too complicated. :(

Couldn't agree more, but as you stated, that would be too simple. It also wouldn't allow that other stuff related to swine :)

As for me, my premiums are going up by $107.00 per month (+ 32.00%) in 2021, so I suppose my stimulus will help cover that.

I just bought $500 in blaze gift cards to score the free pizzas that come with it. I'll have a little left over for dinner tonight.

It will go into our checking account and sit there like the first stimulus payment did.

That is the philosophical issue I have with the stimulus payments... most people I know, even our kids, don't really need the money (they have not lost their jobs). I would prefer that the stimulus be targeted to those who need it more... people who have lost their jobs as a result of covid, are behind on their rent or mortgage, etc. But I guess that would be too complicated. :(

+1

Given the year we've been through I don't know what to think. I did drop $200 on a new car battery today. I guess you could call that a prepay of the stimulus. Next my 16 year old car needs a new set of Michelins which should wipe out the rest. Mental accounting. I had to spend it anyway.

To say I'm disillusioned would be an understatement. The actions of all our elected officials are an embarrassment.

I'm going to dutifully use it for the intended reasons - - to stimulate the economy. I have always done my best to be a good citizen. :hide:

:baconflag:

That's exactly what I plan on doing too. All those hobby shops have been having a rough time with the pandemic and all, and when people lose their jobs hobbies and entertainment are the first things that get cut back. So I'll do my small part to alleviate their pain and suffering by buying more R/C stuff.

The actions of all our elected officials are an embarrassment.

[mod hat on]

So what else is new? But please, let's not go there.

[mod hat off]

We don't get stimulus checks.

We've been stimulating the economy anyway. Just not restaurants - sorry, no can do.

I donated mine to the San Diego Food Bank. They have a very efficient program and are able to reach a lot of people in need. We don't need the money and there are so many people in need right now.

DH is a spender and I am a saver. He wants his $600 to buy stuff. The other half will go into our general savings. There’s nothing that I need to spend it on right now.

Then there’s DHs broken crown a few weeks ago. $699 even with our dental discount plan. There goes my half!

We gave away half of our previous stimulus. This time we’re keeping it.

And stimulating the dentist.

I'm going to give 100% of it back. Plus a lot more $$$$.........

in the form of a 1040ES payment for a Roth conversion I did yesterday!

In general I agree with you.

I know people like to focus on the stimulus payments, but I do want to mention that there are other parts in the CARES Act and this latest additional bill that do have additional targeted relief. There is the PPP program, additional unemployment funds, student loan forebearance, and eviction protection, just to name some. They also gave some money to college students on federal aid.

It is more complicated, and I'm sure we could all find something to fault with the laws our elected representatives passed. My only point is that they did try to do both broad stimulus and targeted relief.

No check(s) coming here.... What a surprise......

Back
Top Bottom