How are your assets allocated?

bank5

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone care to share how they have their assets allocated?

I'm pretty much just started out but below is what I plan on doing. I'm 28...feel free to critique or offer recommendations.

Large:
FSTMX - 8%
SVSPX - 21%

Mid:
FSEMX - 19%

Small:
NAESX - 17%

Foreign:
FSIIX - 19%

Bonds:
VBISX - 10%

Target 2040 Fund:
VFORX - 6%

http://www.ssgafunds.com/product/fund.seam?ticker=SVSPX

Late 20s, married:

27% Cash/MMF
19% I-bonds
23% VEIPX (Vanguard equity income)
11% VIPSX (Vanguard TIPS)
19% VFICX (Vanguard intermediate term investment grade bond)

401k contributions are the minimum required to get the employer match, deposited in VFICX. Any money left over from our paychecks goes towards paying down the mortgage each month.

It's hard to really know what you've got just from the ticker symbols. Have you thought about using a Morningstar Portfolio X-ray Analysis as used in this thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/asset-allocation-tutorial-31324-2.html#post578722

I am in the midst of some tax-loss harvesting, so I have excess cash which will go to work soon:
Cash: 29%
Bonds: 24%
US stocks: 29%
Foreign stocks: 10%
Commercial real estate: 8%

Equities have this style grid (across: value/blend/growth; down: large/mid/small):
21 19 15
8 9 9
7 7 5

70% into 4 Balanced Funds, 20% into Additional Bond Funds & 10% in a paid 4 SF home. Ever since 1999..
ave 9.3% apy ever since and 2% apy more than I had planned /hoped for..inspite of 08'...Retired in 2003 .

What the future holds? Who Knows.. just work & make as much as you can, save as much as you can , Do the Best you can and hope for the best..

IRA CD @ 4.75 for 5 yrs ----66.625% of total (rolled over from 401k in November)
Traditional CD @ 4.5% for 4 yrs---33.375% of total (result of home sale in 2006)
Hope you don't think this looks stupid. You have to realize that we are in our early seventies and don't need trauma in our lives. We need sleep. Did the stock market thingy, did OK but now need security. No debt. Of our total income, pension provides 36%, Social Security 40% and interest off CD's 24%. We're comfortable.

Last edited:
Hmmm - welll by one method wherein I take 25 times non cola pension,SS as fixed plus my portfolio I am age 65 = 65/36 fixed/stocks handgrenade close to that rule of thumb.

Another way 65/35 stock fixed in IRA - aka Target 2015 (this is considered cheating on their, Vanguard's age recommendation - as 2010 or 2005 would be more appropriate).

Or the Norwegian widow method - 3% miinum SEC yield in good times and 4% in hard times - by tap dancing around the 60/40 'policy portfolio.' I have in the past put my thumb on the scale with small amounts of high yield corp., REIT Index, Small Value Index around the edges. With 5-15% DRIP dividend stocks over the years.

Since 1980 - have varied around Ben Graham's 50/50 defensive investor to 60/40 policy portfolio.

Nowadays I have more stock than I have ever had at 66/34 including Norwegian widow stocks.

age 65/66 - 16th year of ER - almost an official olde phart.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

heh heh heh - :cool:

Total Market FSTMX 10.0%
Extended Market FSEMX 10.0%
Value Index VIVIX 10.0%
Small Cap indx VSCIX/IWC 5.0%
Small Cap Value index VISVX 10.0%
REIT Index VNQ/VGSNX 5.0%
European Index VEURX 9.0%
Pacific indx VPACX 9.0%
Emerg. Mkts index VEIEX 9.0%
Int'l Value VTRIX 9.0%
Int'l Small Cap SCZ 9.0%
Int'l REIT WPS 5.0%

Basically 50% domestic, 50% international, all equities.

I should add these are targets for my portfolio. The total US market allocation is currently a bit higher than 10% due to crappy fund choices in a few investment accounts.

100% - CRAP :rolleyes:

CASH - 10.79%
BONDS - 30.79% (HYG, TIP, IEI)
STOCKS - 43.57% (SPY, IWM, VGK, VPL)
RE - 9.76% (IGR)
COMM - 5.09% (PCRIX)

I'm 40 and retiring toward the end of this year, once the company that bought mine gets their act together.

My holdings are 60/15/25 (25% being real estate -- the equity in my home, plus a rental).

The 60% in stocks are split between 30% in a professionally managed account I'm trying out for a year (consisting of mostly large and mid cap growth); 25% growth and index funds (AMAGX, JMCVX, BRK.B, EEM); and 5% direct stocks (KMP, MO, CHK, PFE, YUM, CMG, FNM, SPY, GE, JCI, ADM, TGT, NKE, MSFT, VFC, C).

As of tonight, and as per Vanguard:

Stocks 51% (70% US, 30% International / 70% large caps, 15% mid caps, 15% small caps / value tilt)
Bonds 47% (80% high quality, 20% investment grade / 80% intermediate term, 20% short term)
Cash 2%

I am 34.

I'm 40 and retiring toward the end of this year, once the company that bought mine gets their act together.

My holdings are 60/15/25 (25% being real estate -- the equity in my home, plus a rental).

The 60% in stocks are split between 30% in a professionally managed account I'm trying out for a year (consisting of mostly large and mid cap growth); 25% growth and index funds (AMAGX, JMCVX, BRK.B, EEM); and 5% direct stocks (KMP, MO, CHK, PFE, YUM, CMG, FNM, SPY, GE, JCI, ADM, TGT, NKE, MSFT, VFC, C).

when you rebalance do you sell off the living room in your home ?

40% wine, 40% women, 20% wasted. :LOL:

10% - cash losing purchasing power in a money market
50% - stuff that supposed to grow but instead lost 50%
30% - stuff that’s not supposed to lose value but did anyway
10% - stuff that’s supposed to diversify but didn’t and used to be 20%
25% - poof!

Actually, I’m not even sure about the numbers anymore...:(

6-10 years from retirement, and my allocation is:
07% VGTSX Frgn Lg Blnd
02% VTRIX Frgn Lg Value
06% RNPFX World Stock
__________Int'l Stock 15%
07% VFINX Large Blend
06% VTSMX Large Blend
04% VWNEX Large Value
01% XXXXX Co. Stock
12% VBINX Stocks
02% VGSIX Specialty R.E.
04% NAESX Small Blend
02% VISVX Small Value
__________U.S. Stock 37%
21% VBMFX Int-Term Bd
03% FIBIX Int-Term Bd
07% VNJTX Long-Term Bd
08% VBINX Bonds
03% VIPSX Inf-Prtctd Bd
__________Bond Funds 42%
06% VWSTX Cash Res.
__________Cash Funds 06%

As of tonight, and as per Vanguard:

Stocks 51% (70% US, 30% International / 70% large caps, 15% mid caps, 15% small caps / value tilt)
Bonds 47% (80% high quality, 20% investment grade / 80% intermediate term, 20% short term)
Cash 2%

I am 34.

Some might say a little conservative for your age, but I like it. As of today I'm 43/57 which is close to being in line with the 100 rule. I thought the 100 rule was a good conservative rule of thumb, but I was wrong. If we ever get a strong rally and I recoup a good portion of what I'm down, I'll go with a 20/80 allocation.

We just had a strong rally of what, 18%? The steepest since the 1930s.

Bank5, I would go a little longer on bonds, but since you are 28 yo, your retirement PF could just as well be 100% equities.

I'm recently retired and my PF is in flux.

Last edited:
Some might say a little conservative for your age, but I like it.

I know it's a bit too conservative and I might let it go back to 60% stocks/40% bonds but no higher. I am a better saver than I am an investor. So I think that, for me, slow and steady is a better path to prosperity than fast and furious.

Large Cap 15.56%
Mid Cap 9.80%
Small Cap 8.65%
REIT 1.29%
Int'l Developed 7.13%
Int'l Developing 2.46%
Oil and Gas E&P 2.51%
PM Equities 2.56%
Physical PM 0.58%
Cash/Bonds 49.45%

Hopefully 4-5 years from retirement.

I know it's a bit too conservative and I might let it go back to 60% stocks/40% bonds but no higher. I am a better saver than I am an investor. So I think that, for me, slow and steady is a better path to prosperity than fast and furious.

I totally understand and agree.

Back
Top Bottom