How are your portfolios YTD?

According to MSN Money, I'm up a miserable 1.19% YTD .... I feel like I am really out of balance. Have 56% in general fund, 37% in 2 indexed mutual funds, 8% aggressive ... not all in one place. Not too sure how to rebalance now. Don't need it for current income .... more concerned about long term growth & stability. I know I'm too heavy into the general fund for my age group but they were paying 6% when I put it there 2 yrs ago and I was just too lazy to do much with it .... only guaranteeing 4.3% this year. Time to move on. Suggestions?

Most of us need to be a little more patient. Two
months return YTD does not mean much in the
longer run. :D

Cheers,

Charlie

Agreed, Charlie, but I only rebalance once or twice a year [you can wince now]. And I tend to do it the first time right about the time I get my tax refunds [insert second wince]. But then again, this is my 457 I'm talking about and I only draw 5% a year from it so it never really impacts my day-to-day spending. :)

I only have data for the last two weeks, where my portfolio of $31k was up 0.8%. However, if we annualize this, we get a 23% return per year. Then, compound that number over the next 37 years until I reach age 60 (assuming no cash in or out) and you arrive at $65,743,196.65. Discount that back to today's dollars at a 3% rate of inflation and I've got a cool $21.9m, or a SWR of $876k/year at 4%. Yeah, I think I could get by on that.

I really enjoy the "new math."

Agreed, Charlie, but I only rebalance once or twice a year [you can wince now]. And I tend to do it the first time right about the time I get my tax refunds [insert second wince]. But then again, this is my 457 I'm talking about and I only draw 5% a year from it so it never really impacts my day-to-day spending. :)
Hi gayl,

The SWR simulations from FIRECALC are based on rebalancing only once a year. And there are least a couple of studies out there that indicate that rebalancing every other year might actually be better. :)

Just shy of 3%. Still holding lots of cash in Vanguard MM at 2.3%. Contributors are:

Wellington
Hi Yield bond fund
FNYTX
VangEuro StkIndx

Bleeders and non-performers are:
VangREIT
TIPS

Hit&Run:
MRK

BUM

I don't know - Swag - maybe down 1%. Since I'm retired and have mostly balanced index it's not very important.

The actual dollars in dividends/interest availible to spend gets my attention.

I will do a rough mark to market of the 15% in DRIP stocks in the taxable realm. Looks like the taxable part is up 16% or so over last year - div growth plus some mergers with cash payouts as part of the deal.

Portfolio values are more important to slice and dicers and those in the accumulation phase.

On the other hand - being male - I do watch the markets.

You know, I'm going to search through previous posts/archives for DRIP information, and what you all have chosen, but if anyone has a link they'd like to share to broaden my horizens, I'd be much obliged! :D

Thanks Salaryguru for making me feel better about being so laid back regarding checking my allocations. I will finish figuring out how I want to rebalance and then probably ignore it again for a while.

Up a shade under 10% YTD. Year continues to look and be volatile for the markets. Energy continues to be primary focus but related stocks got ahead of themselves and took a tumble last couple of days. USD looking weaker and weaker....

I am an absolute believer in having investments carrying a good dividend. Monthly preferably. If it doesn't have a dividend it is not likely to find a home in my account!

Back
Top Bottom