Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-02-2017, 02:04 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
>>Why do you ask?
I am super conservative and can keep working indefinitely if I wanted and saving more money. But, I balance that with wanting to enjoy my life and other passions. While everyones situation is different and nest egg is just one component, I was sorta curious if most people were more or less than this. Obviously pensions, location, lifestyle, make a big difference, I was just sorta wondering. Last thing I want to do is die at my desk still saving because it's never enough.

(I apologize for saying an actual dollar amount. If forgot that isn't cool on here)
- Save all you can
- Buy used cars
- Focus on your end goal
(FIRED June 2019)
Shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2017, 02:13 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1.1 million on the date i retired October 19th 2008. its gone crazy since then. if it crashed and was worth 50 bucks i would be crying but my pension is more than we spend so the excess goes into our 80/20 mix. of the 80 its been 50 % small cap, 35 % sp500, 15 % international. Some how me and the bride decided this was our mix , so good or bad thats what we run with. im not smart enough to recalculate a new mix and asset allocation. We agonized over this for about a year before i retired. read articles ,listened to seminars etc. i want to add that my health care is 7 bucks a month, with a max 4000 a year out of pocket. so my health care imaginary budget is 350 a month, i knew all this before i ran out the door. i see some people talk about how many times their annual spending, mine is 72.72 times yearly expenditures. If i live to collect social security , and its the promised amount ill stop cutting food coupons. On second thought no i wont old habits die hard.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
I am super conservative and can keep working indefinitely if I wanted and saving more money. But, I balance that with wanting to enjoy my life and other passions. While everyones situation is different and nest egg is just one component, I was sorta curious if most people were more or less than this. Obviously pensions, location, lifestyle, make a big difference, I was just sorta wondering. Last thing I want to do is die at my desk still saving because it's never enough.

(I apologize for saying an actual dollar amount. If forgot that isn't cool on here)
While I prefer to not give my specifics your 1.5 number appears pretty solid, if your expenses are in line. Simple math leads me to 50k per year for 30 years. Even if it's invested in a CD ladder you should be able to put a dent in the ravages of inflation, if that shows up. Add in SS and see if that exceeds any expenses.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:21 PM   #24
gone traveling

About 5-10% more than 5 years ago with 30x+ spend & w/o taking SS yet.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #25

Quote:

Shabby- no need to apologize. It's not that it is uncool to talk about a number but the point is that it's a meaningless number unless it is somehow related to the expected expenses. If your nest egg is 800k but you only expect to need 20k per year then you are ready to retire (40x). However if your nest egg is 800k and you expect to need 200k per year, then you are in trouble.
This is why most of us chose to respond with a ratio of nest egg to expenses. So, if you have 35x, that means your money will last for 35 years (assuming investment return is equal to inflation, and you won't have any other income such as social security).
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
If i live to collect social security , and its the promised amount ill stop cutting food coupons. On second thought no i wont old habits die hard.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Add in SS and see if that exceeds any expenses.
That was my thoughts. Use SS as a inflation buffer.
I am just such a risk averse guy I sometime think I will sit here under these fluorescent lights at w**k forever waiting for enough so I feel safe. I'm the same guy that has felt the SP500 has been over-valued for 10 years waiting for the correction back down to a PE of 15. :-)
- Save all you can
- Buy used cars
- Focus on your end goal
(FIRED June 2019)
Old 06-02-2017, 02:58 PM   #28

Quote:
That was my thoughts. Use SS as a inflation buffer.
I am just such a risk averse guy I sometime think I will sit here under these fluorescent lights at w**k forever waiting for enough so I feel safe. I'm the same guy that has felt the SP500 has been over-valued for 10 years waiting for the correction back down to a PE of 15. :-)
Yeah I'm a belts and suspenders type myself. However you can't put a value on each year of freedom!
Old 06-02-2017, 03:05 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I think mine was about 48x my annual expenditures
48X So if you need $75k pre tax income, you saved $3.6M??

Oh no, see this is what I was worried about. Now I am getting back to w**k and will poke my head back out when I'm 60.

(And yes, I know there are many factors that go into nest egg size. I have 12 spreadsheets all over-analyzing all the data. I just sorta wanted to see what nest eggs were around.)
- Save all you can
- Buy used cars
- Focus on your end goal
(FIRED June 2019)
Old 06-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #30

Before you panic: have you run FIREcalc? I strongly recommend it! Good for peace of mind.

Well, depending on the outcome anyway....
Old 06-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Before you panic: have you run FIREcalc?
Love Firecalc, but I find it more comforting to take my nest egg X 4% plus SS and see how things compare to my retirement budget.
- Save all you can
- Buy used cars
- Focus on your end goal
(FIRED June 2019)
Old 06-02-2017, 04:08 PM   #32

Quote:

Oh no, see this is what I was worried about. Now I am getting back to w**k and will poke my head back out when I'm 60.

(And yes, I know there are many factors that go into nest egg size. I have 12 spreadsheets all over-analyzing all the data. I just sorta wanted to see what nest eggs were around.)
Well, I semi-retired in my mid 40s, and being the ultra-cautious type, I wanted to ensure that I had at least 35-40x expenses before turning my back permanently on a highly compensated job. And I ended up being helped tremendously by the huge bull market of recent years. Even if I had only had 35x expenses at the time, I still most likely would have pulled the plug.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1.5 including pensions
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
This is why most of us chose to respond with a ratio of nest egg to expenses.
Yes, expenses are a huge factor, but with me there isn't much with paid off house, car, no debt, no kids, no wife. So....while I have $80k a year in "expenses", that could also be $40k. So the whole XExpenses thing is a bit lost on me.
- Save all you can
- Buy used cars
- Focus on your end goal
(FIRED June 2019)
Old 06-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mine's bigger

Was going to leave it at that, but it's not relevant as has been pointed out - I think what you're looking for is validation that you're not about to do something stupid.

When firecalc, Quicken Lifetime Planner, my FAs analysis and my own straight line math (portfolio x/y years) all boxed, I pulled the trigger.

Ensure your spending estimates are accurate and complete (health insurance was the biggest surprise for me) and you have some idea where you could adjust if things start moving our of your planning corridor.

I understand the idea of getting to freedom earlier, but doing so if one would be unnaturally anxious about how it will turn out wouldn't be worth it to me.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Yes, expenses are a huge factor, but with me there isn't much with paid off house, car, no debt, no kids, no wife. So....while I have $80k a year in "expenses", that could also be $40k. So the whole XExpenses thing is a bit lost on me.
Well you need to use some number for projected expenses. If you think you need $80K to be comfortable then so be it, and plan accordingly. If you really think you could be comfortable with 40, though, you might work a lot of extra years you don't really need to.

In practice I think most of us started with a target expense figure and then padded it a bit for a sense of security. For example I believed I needed about $45K to retire comfortably, but used $65K in my calculations (and looked for a 100% success rate) out of an abundance of caution. I thought this 40+% pad was plenty, but everyone has a different comfort zone. If you really want a 100% pad (using $80K when $40 is enough) then just be sure that extra security is worth the extra working years you'll pay for it.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:44 PM   #37

Quote:

Quote:

The problem in comparing is there are so many variables. I answered upthread, but didn't get into variables that likely make my situation irrelevant to you. We have two pretty high paying jobs/professions and work a lot of hours. Thus, we play to spend on a whole bunch of discretionary experiences after we retire next month (a bit more than 50% of our anticipated spending, which gives us a lot of wiggle room). No pensions, no retiree healthcare, and in a state with nearly-non-functioning private health insurance market.

Plus, we didn't give notice until we had a big enough pile--and it was 2+ years notice to allow my wife's replacement to be on board. The market performance during the period of notice inflated the portfolio ....
Old 06-02-2017, 04:52 PM   #38

No debt and seven figures.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilanne View Post
How do you determine the value of your pension?
https://www.immediateannuities.com/

We retired with ~$200k in savings/investments, but a well-funded COLA'd pension that according to the link above has a current value of many, many millions. I don't know exactly because the max amount invested on that site is $5 million and the resulting annuity is considerably less than the pension.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:17 PM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
How big was your nest egg when you FIRE'd?
Wel... it was in 1989, and my answer would probably be... enough.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote