Join Early Retirement Today

how can a windows 7 only person do taxes
Old 12-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

how can a windows 7 only person do taxes

Anyone know if it is "get paper and mail it"? Asking for an elderly relative. I'd type it in and efile but not sure he would want me to have that much information about his finances. HRB and TT seem to "not support" win 7 which may mean "doesn't run" or may mean "not helping you" if errors both of which would be bad.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2020, 03:11 PM   #2

Pretty sure Turbotax works on Win7. Or use the IRS site and fill in there.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

When I get my download of H&R Block this year, I'm going to try to install it on my Win 7 machine. I hate Win 10 and only have it on my garage computer.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:18 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Check to see if the elderly relative qualifies to use AARP Foundation's Tax Aide program. It is free, they can prepare and efile both federal and state, and they can prepare many returns, even fairly complicated ones.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/free...ying-taxpayers

They start preparing returns in early February. With coronavirus, how the return is prepared depends on where the person lives and what the health status of that area is, but it is always done with excellent safety.

(I am a VITA volunteer tax preparer.)
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:09 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP - Did you ask the relative ?
I do 3 relatives returns and even help with investments, they appreciate it. Maybe yours will be fine with it.

Otherwise, other choices are: do online version at H&R. But first check IRS site, as may qualify for free one.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #6

Yeah he usually goes to the AARP thing but thinks it will be cancelled. We live in different states with totally different virus rates so IDK. Plus of course I would just let him use my computer if it were feasible. I am just supposed to figure out how he can do a thing he wants with no effort on his part.

I completely pretend I am win 7 only 99% of the time since I don't like 10 but will buy TT and use it for that. I figured others like me out there.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:38 PM   #7

aja8888 - there is a question on amazon on that one user said it loaded and manufacturer says not supported.

TT annoyed the crap out of me last year on win 7. Lots of warnings.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Pretty sure Turbotax works on Win7.
Not as of the 2020 Edition.

Turbotax began giving notification of this beginning with release of the 2019 Edition a year ago.

https://www.intuit.com/support/windows-7-end-of-life/

Quote:
TurboTax for tax year 2019 will install on Windows 7 (Service Pack 1 or later), but when TurboTax for tax year 2020 is released, all TurboTax desktop products will cease installing on Windows 7.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
aja8888 - there is a question on amazon on that one user said it loaded and manufacturer says not supported.

TT annoyed the crap out of me last year on win 7. Lots of warnings.
Thanks!
Old 12-01-2020, 04:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
Yeah he usually goes to the AARP thing but thinks it will be cancelled. We live in different states with totally different virus rates so IDK. Plus of course I would just let him use my computer if it were feasible. I am just supposed to figure out how he can do a thing he wants with no effort on his part.

I completely pretend I am win 7 only 99% of the time since I don't like 10 but will buy TT and use it for that. I figured others like me out there.
The AARP Tax Aide program looks like it will be cancelled here also, but there are other organizations that do VITA and one or more of those sites may be available to your relative. He should check the IRS website in late January or early February to find out what's happening in his area.

Otherwise, both TTax and H&R Block have online versions of their software, no installation necessary. Here are the TTax system requirements for online, which includes Win 7: https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal...m-requirements
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:26 PM   #11

He could upgrade to Windows 10 for free but may not like the change, I hated it when I first upgraded.
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-d...ows-7-is-dead/
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:52 PM   #12

oops. TT for Ty2020 will not install on Win7

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/ta...ows-7/00/27617
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:31 PM   #13

Thanks I will pass along your ideas. I specifically got a win 10 myself to do taxes. . . and other things that have to be more recent but I seldom use it. Why TT online did not occur to me I am not sure!
Old 12-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #14
gone traveling

Win10, no way. I still like win7 very much (I feel more in control of my PC, less snitching to NSA and CIA, better UI. Win7's UI with borderless windows that were introduce to accommodate a tablet or mobile phone use case that turned out not to be there / viable, is a joke).

OP, I was still able to make TurboTax 2019 work with win7, using a fairly simple trick.
But I have to wait and see if it'll still work with the 2020 edition and beyond.

Artificial limitation, just to fatten the Gates of Hell's (self-proclaimed World's Doctor in the meantime) and Micro$hit's wallets.
smihaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Win10, no way. I still like win7 very much (I feel more in control of my PC, less snitching to NSA and CIA, better UI. Win7's UI with borderless windows that were introduce to accommodate a tablet or mobile phone use case that turned out not to be there / viable, is a joke).

OP, I was still able to make TurboTax 2019 work with win7, using a fairly simple trick.
But I have to wait and see if it'll still work with the 2020 edition and beyond.

Artificial limitation, just to fatten the Gates of Hell's (self-proclaimed World's Doctor in the meantime) and Micro$hit's wallets.
what was your 'trick'?
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 12-07-2020, 07:22 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
what was your 'trick'?
I believe I explained the trick here:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/ta...t/true#M454260
(search in that thread from that point down, looking for posts using the same username as I'm using on early-retirement.org forums)

The main idea is to chase where the main "setup.exe" or "install.exe" is auto-extracting the real .msi installer "payload". Then abort the normal install and invoke the .msi file via `msiexec /i path_to_that_msi_file /passive`

Rapacious and greedy companies, along with their teams of imbecile Software Architects and "Software Engineers" should all be slapped with a keyboard, if I could. For introducing an artificial limitation in an otherwise good application code.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:26 PM   #17

for States, many States have a site with their own on-line tax forms. I'll use TT for national, with their on-line filing, but then feed that information into the State website forms, and don't have to pay the TT State filing fee. The on-line state sites don't care what your operating system is.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
I believe I explained the trick here:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/ta...t/true#M454260
(search in that thread from that point down, looking for posts using the same username as I'm using on early-retirement.org forums)

The main idea is to chase where the main "setup.exe" or "install.exe" is auto-extracting the real .msi installer "payload". Then abort the normal install and invoke the .msi file via `msiexec /i path_to_that_msi_file /passive`

Rapacious and greedy companies, along with their teams of imbecile Software Architects and "Software Engineers" should all be slapped with a keyboard, if I could. For introducing an artificial limitation in an otherwise good application code.
thanks, i'll check it out. btw, TT2019 installed fine on my Win7 machine last January.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
thanks, i'll check it out. btw, TT2019 installed fine on my Win7 machine last January.
You may be right. I have to do both Canadian and US taxes, so I was using two separate versions of TurboTax 2019. One of them (maybe the Canadian one) needed that trick. While the other one (US very probably) showed only a warning pop-up dialog but allowed me to continue the install (using the normal way).

Let's see how it goes with the upcoming 2020 version: If also the US version becomes restrictive, perhaps the same kind of trick will work.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:03 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

A program like Start10 or something similar may be the answer.

Been using Start10 ever since I was forced switched to Win 10.

Start10 hides those pesky Win10 tiles .