Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

It would be interesting to know how influential ER.org was in supporting/encouraging/enabling those who post here to ER. It played a huge role in my ER journey.
It did in mine as well.

But while ER.org put my mind at ease somewhat, I still use a pretty conservative model.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a master financial spreadsheet with data going back to 1988. It tracks the budget, income, savings, taxes, SS, life insurance and a few what if scenarios (lose my job). So I have no shortage of data. There are a LOT of moving parts and unknowns between now and mid next year. So, no decisions will be made until some of these risks are either realized or mitigated.

I am crunching the data to determine if I want to ER in June 2019. I have been going full speed ahead for 30 years and maybe it's time for a change. I will post the numbers and see what the collective ER wisdom might reveal. Since there are a lot of moving parts, I am going to baseline everything to June 2019.

Age = 53 (as of June 2019), no debt

99,000 Annual Retirement Income @ 70
45,000 military pension w/COLA
54,000 SS @ 70
Tricare for Life (=no cost until 65, then is a no cost Medicare supplement,$3,500 / year out of pocket cap)

86,744 Base Expenses (includes taxes, excludes any vacation, cars, known unknowns)

12,256 delta

Once I get to age 70, the COLA pension + SS covers all my base expenses (shown below).

So all I really need to do is build a bridge from 53 to 70. I can build that bridge with savings.

773,000 Bridge amount required (assumes 2% real return)

1,070,000 Savings (60/40 AA)
401k = 50%
Roth = 12% (available to withdraw tax/penalty free)
Taxable = 20%
Cash = 18%

I have enough to build the bridge to SS @ 70. I also have enough available to bridge from 53 to 59.5 when the 401k is available.

297,000 left over (can SWR this @ 3%)

The real question comes down to expenses. That $86,744 is our current base budget that we are using. We have overspent it so far this year by $7,000 (mostly for clothes and dining out). It also does not include vacations, cars, major home repairs and who knows what else. The $12,256 difference between that and my retirement income is available, but is it enough? I also have $300,000 outside the SS bridge that I could SWR @ 3% for $9,000 a year. Now my excess is $21,256. Is that enough?

So, this is where I am struggling. If we knew we could stick to a $99,000 budget, we would have enough cushion to retire in June. Here's the budget:

$17,700 a year on food? For 2 people? That's insane.
$4,800 for clothes?!? That's down from $8,400
$10,200 Misc? What's that? I don't know.
$5,000 for gifts?

I think we have a lot of room for reductions.

You may fire when ready, Gridley!
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

It would be interesting to know how influential ER.org was in supporting/encouraging/enabling those who post here to ER. It played a huge role in my ER journey.
+1
I still check in almost every day. There is a wealth of information from all of the members here, along with lovely glimpses into folks lives via pictures, things they are making, jokes, etc. It's a great place to be!
Old 11-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #24

Sure can have fun scaring yourself with spreadsheets. I did a few what ifs in a little Excel sheet, but FireCalc and RIP are more complete.
Over 5 years in now and I only scare myself looking at the worst case presented by the Fidelity Planner every now and then.

Plug in 5 years of 20% inflation sometime... Especially if you have a lot of mid to long bonds.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Didn't have a budget, never tracked spending, ran a few calculators (not firecalc) and just retired.

Easy.
Easy, if you've oversaved, like you obviously have, Mr. Blow that Dough! Good job!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

Me too. I joined the FIRE Forum a year or so before the axe fell at work. Since I had a lot of "nuttin' to do" desk time those final months, I learned a lot about FireCalc and some other on line tools, read this forum and thought about the possibility of moving my planned retirement age to 58 from my original plan of 62. When the HR guy finally came to walk me out, I already had an idea I might be able to never work again. After a short job search yielded nothing that caught my interest, hey, I just limited the job search to what was required to collect unemployment benefits and started to get used to a new lifestyle.

Many of the posters that inspired me then seem to have disappeared but some are still here. Thanks to all of you.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a dinosaur (with a 3 legged stool), so my initial models ended up pretty conservative... but I didn't consciously wait to retire based on the models. I got to ~1 yr before ideal early pensions date and then realized I had enough and a bit more. I read some retirement lifestyle books and brainstormed a bit about what I'd be retiring to...and developed a reasonable budget...and a beefed up, more generous budget for comparison.

Initial modeling (essentially after I began thinking about ER at age 54) meant looking at 2 primary scenarios: 1) Investments alone and 2) Pensions/Residual Income alone. I included SS in the analysis at first, then reran the models without it. All of this modeling was against the much more generous budget. The primary tools used were: 100% success in Firecalc, and most conservative in FIDO.

After the primary scenario modeling indicated I was good to go if I wanted to, I did do some "all in" modeling to determine an estimated annual max spend for perspective. This was not necessarily conservative in my view, but important to give me a sense of the "range" in which my spending would likely be safe. In addition to Firecalc and FIDO, I checked iORP for the potential impact of Roth Conversions; I ran some scenarios on VPW starting at 3.5%; and I explored valuation adjustments using PE10.

(BTW, I'm single and live in Ca, so taxes are a big component of my budget. In each case above, the modeling reflected taxes on only the scenario income... which I thought appropriate. Of course, IRL I have income from pensions, residual income and investment income, so both income and taxes are larger than in the models.)

And, I found ER after I started looking at this, but before actually retiring. Discovered many good ideas here that helped me be more confident in my decisions.
Nature Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I find myself dreaming about FIRE. I run a few different models and my plan to retire @55 seems to be reasonable. But then I start in with the whatifs:

1. 40% market drop the day after I retire
2. 0% real return forever
3. SS benefits reduced by 25%
4. Long term care expenses
5. New cars
6. Pad the regular expenses
7. Add more for known unknowns (house repairs, pet emergencies, etc...)
8. lions and tigers and bears....

After I do all that, it is clear I need to work until the day I die.

What I really want to do is get laid off next year and try it out for a year. If I get scared, then get back into the work force but maybe a less stressful job.

How did you find the balance and courage to RE?
The conservatism in my model (primarily FIRECalc with occasional checks via Monte Carlo) are mostly neglecting potential upsides. So:

- my budget assumes about 20% net income tax rate, which I know is high
- 75% of SS (I believe there could be a cut, but more like 5% - anything more is too politically unpopular)
- neglect ACA subsidies in my budget (though gross premiums have now exceeded my budget thanks to ~40% increase in the last two years)
- neglect my consulting and DW's hobby job income
- do not include real estate equity in FIRECalc or MC, consider this LTC insurance
- neglect likely inheritances.

Regarding other items on your worry list above:

1. The Great Depression, Great Inflation, and a ton of other bear markets are already considered in FIRECalc - if I can survive those I'm probably good.
2. 0% real forever - not worried about it. Even at 0% real, a 4% SWR lasts 25 years.
5. For cars I include a "depreciation" allowance in my annual budget.
7. I include an allowance for home repairs in my budget. Certainly aware of that after replacing two A/C units and a roof in the last 4 years.

So if you are forcing a 40% market drop and 0% return into retirement calculators you are double-dipping and shouldn't worry so much. But if you don't have retirement cash flow for "routine" large expenses such as a new car every 10 years or an A/C every 20 you may need to save a little more.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:06 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
+1

It was for me. I did have a budget and did some rough numbers based on the Trinity study, but discussions on this board gave me more confidence and provided information on some very useful tools (FireCalc, RIP, etc.).

Regarding your list:
1. 40% market drop the day after I retire - I actually did have a 10%+ drop the month after I gave my notice. Good timing... I was able to just shrug and assume it would recover. It did and then some.
2. 0% real return forever - I assume 1.5% real, which is pretty conservative compared to most.
3. SS benefits reduced by 25% - I didn't include this, but I could easily adjust if this happened.
4. Long term care expenses - self funding and hoping that someday they offer a real insurance policy (3yr wait and then coverage until death)
5. New cars - in the plan every 10 years for each car
6. Pad the regular expenses - I didn't do this intentionally, but we're already wildly under-spending our budgets so I guess I did without knowing it.
7. Add more for known unknowns (house repairs, pet emergencies, etc...) - all in our "misc" category.
8. lions and tigers and bears....

Our issue was really that we got so used to a spending amount that we just stayed with it. We could have increased our spending, but haven't felt the need to. If you are including even 1/2 the hedges you listed I'm guessing you will have more than enough. Be careful not to include every worst case. You'll work way to long or spend way too little.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #30

Pretty conservative. DW and I are transitioning into living on interest and dividends, a small pension and eventual SS. By only taking int/divies from our IRA's I am hoping the remaining return of our total stock market funds will offset inflation and any possible SS cuts.

It's pretty simple and does not singularly rely on a SWR method. We started retirement 2 1/2 years ago taking a 4% withdrawal in a pretty strong market. At the time our interest and dividends amounted to about 2.5%. Thanks to rising CD rates and increased dividend $ we're right about 3% overall now. Enough income to cover our wants and needs. Good enough. Both DW and I are old school and never could grasp the concept of touching the principal, hoping that past results would repeat in the future.

Having been through numerous downturns starting 1973 I have no desire to ride it out and hope for the recovery. Last week I logged on to my Fido account to check my credit card. I did not even notice the brokerage/IRA balances. Now I know I'm at peace with my decisions.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:14 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

...just a few questions

Quote:
I have a master financial spreadsheet with data going back to 1988. It tracks the budget, income, savings, taxes, SS, life insurance and a few what if scenarios (lose my job). So I have no shortage of data. There are a LOT of moving parts and unknowns between now and mid next year. So, no decisions will be made until some of these risks are either realized or mitigated.

I am crunching the data to determine if I want to ER in June 2019. I have been going full speed ahead for 30 years and maybe it's time for a change. I will post the numbers and see what the collective ER wisdom might reveal. Since there are a lot of moving parts, I am going to baseline everything to June 2019.

Age = 53 (as of June 2019), no debt

99,000 Annual Retirement Income @ 70
45,000 military pension w/COLA
54,000 SS @ 70
Tricare for Life (=no cost until 65, then is a no cost Medicare supplement,$3,500 / year out of pocket cap)

86,744 Base Expenses (includes taxes, excludes any vacation, cars, known unknowns)

12,256 delta

Once I get to age 70, the COLA pension + SS covers all my base expenses (shown below).

So all I really need to do is build a bridge from 53 to 70. I can build that bridge with savings.

773,000 Bridge amount required (assumes 2% real return)

1,070,000 Savings (60/40 AA)
401k = 50%
Roth = 12% (available to withdraw tax/penalty free)
Taxable = 20%
Cash = 18%

I have enough to build the bridge to SS @ 70. I also have enough available to bridge from 53 to 59.5 when the 401k is available.

297,000 left over (can SWR this @ 3%)

The real question comes down to expenses. That $86,744 is our current base budget that we are using. We have overspent it so far this year by $7,000 (mostly for clothes and dining out). It also does not include vacations, cars, major home repairs and who knows what else. The $12,256 difference between that and my retirement income is available, but is it enough? I also have $300,000 outside the SS bridge that I could SWR @ 3% for $9,000 a year. Now my excess is $21,256. Is that enough?

So, this is where I am struggling. If we knew we could stick to a $99,000 budget, we would have enough cushion to retire in June. Here's the budget:

$17,700 a year on food? For 2 people? That's insane.
$4,800 for clothes?!? That's down from $8,400
$10,200 Misc? What's that? I don't know.
$5,000 for gifts?

You may fire when ready, Gridley!
Since you’re retired military, TriCare for medical.(...is $8 k enough to cover everything including any max copays of $3500 for supplement that you noted?)

you’ve obviously seen the nearly $18 k for food
That’s certainly got a huge target on it, that’s certainly an area to drill down. I don’t know anyone that spends 20% on food in that zip code of income.

The gifts amount also is giving off signals.... it’s orange, not red.... but might need some scrutiny

I agree with others that somewhere in that $21k surplus you need to allocate some for vehicle replacement and I would also say some is needed for irregular medical costs not covered fully (major dental?, hearing aids?, which are often needed for those who worked on the flight line, in home care)

when does the house get paid off? are you including enough in your plan for normal replacement of household items (HVAC, roof, water heater, etc) as part of the budget (placed in reserve)?

When I did my plan I planned on my bridge to SS for the total nut, which in your case is 17 years X $54 k (rate at SS @70)= $918 k so I assume you backed the $918 k down to your level by assuming 2% returns? Remember that you take out at the beginning of the year (N - $54 k) so may need to determine how sensitive that real return is.

{ disclosure: in my model that I noted above I would have needed about 2.5 large, which we surpassed, while I see you have just over 1 large... and are counting on a higher spend ($99k) than ours ($89 k) in the intervening years before SS. (admittedly, we can easily go to $120 k/ yr now in retirement... but we planned for worst case). You need to really check for sensitivity}
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:25 PM   #32

Quote:
You may want to check again about your military retiree medical coverage.

TRICARE For Life is Medicare-wraparound coverage for TRICARE-eligible beneficiaries who have Medicare Part A and B.

If you plan to use military retiree TRICARE for your health insurance before Medicare eligibility, you will need to pay for it.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #33

Quote:
The low-hanging fruit:

1) Eliminate life insurance (assuming pensions are transferrable)
2) Reduce cell phone bill
3) Eliminate cable (Roku/Amazon Prime/Netflix)
4) Reduce gifts
5) Food/dining - consider less caviar (joking)...my wife and I spend less than $900 monhtly, and that includes household products
6) Clothing - do you really need to spend $400/month in retirement? I barely spend $400 a year, working.
7) What is the House under discretionary? $300/mo for what?
8) You spend $200/mo on entertainment in addition to eating out, cable, internet, etc.?

Just thoughts....
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI_RElater View Post
Since you’re retired military, TriCare for medical.(...is $8 k enough to cover everything including any max copays of $3500 for supplement that you noted?)

you’ve obviously seen the nearly $18 k for food
That’s certainly got a huge target on it, that’s certainly an area to drill down. I don’t know anyone that spends 20% on food in that zip code of income.

The gifts amount also is giving off signals.... it’s orange, not red.... but might need some scrutiny

I agree with others that somewhere in that $21k surplus you need to allocate some for vehicle replacement and I would also say some is needed for irregular medical costs not covered fully (major dental?, hearing aids?, which are often needed for those who worked on the flight line, in home care)

when does the house get paid off? are you including enough in your plan for normal replacement of household items (HVAC, roof, water heater, etc) as part of the budget (placed in reserve)?

When I did my plan I planned on my bridge to SS for the total nut, which in your case is 17 years X $54 k (rate at SS @70)= $918 k so I assume you backed the $918 k down to your level by assuming 2% returns? Remember that you take out at the beginning of the year (N - $54 k) so may need to determine how sensitive that real return is.

{ disclosure: in my model that I noted above I would have needed about 2.5 large, which we surpassed, while I see you have just over 1 large... and are counting on a higher spend ($99k) than ours ($89 k) in the intervening years before SS. (admittedly, we can easily go to $120 k/ yr now in retirement... but we planned for worst case). You need to really check for sensitivity}
I think I am going to keep things simple. I will assume my expenses each year will be $99,000 (pension + SS). That gives me an $11k/year cushion for cars, air conditioners, unexpected health care expenses, unknown unknowns.

Then there is the blow that dough money. If I FIRE @ 53, then that is about $10,000 / year. That is purely for vacations, season tickets to WWE or whatever we want outside the base budget.

If I work until 55, that goes up to $24,000. Or we could cut the budget down to something reasonable and retire now and still have $24,000 to blow.

Two more years of work so we can spend $50/day on food. Is it really that simple?
Old 11-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
You may want to check again about your military retiree medical coverage.

TRICARE For Life is Medicare-wraparound coverage for TRICARE-eligible beneficiaries who have Medicare Part A and B.

If you plan to use military retiree TRICARE for your health insurance before Medicare eligibility, you will need to pay for it.
I have been using the retiree medical since I retired 10 years ago and I don't pay anything for it. I pay a portion of my bills and that averages about $2,500 / year (and that is with some serious hospital visits). Cap is $3500 I think.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:46 PM   #36

Quote:
I have been using the retiree medical since I retired 10 years ago and I don't pay anything for it. I pay a portion of my bills and that averages about $2,500 / year (and that is with some serious hospital visits). Cap is $3500 I think.
Sounds like you have the TRICARE Select plan for current medical coverage, or something similar depending on where you live. This is not the same as TRICARE for Life.

In any case, thank you for your service to our country. : )
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:46 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
The low-hanging fruit:

1) Eliminate life insurance (assuming pensions are transferrable)
2) Reduce cell phone bill
3) Eliminate cable (Roku/Amazon Prime/Netflix)
4) Reduce gifts
5) Food/dining - consider less caviar (joking)...my wife and I spend less than $900 monhtly, and that includes household products
6) Clothing - do you really need to spend $400/month in retirement? I barely spend $400 a year, working.
7) What is the House under discretionary? $300/mo for what?
8) You spend $200/mo on entertainment in addition to eating out, cable, internet, etc.?

Just thoughts....
1. Need life ins to cover the loss of benefits. Pension is 55%. SS is about 60% I think.
7. General home care stuff. Light bulbs, lawn care, paint, who knows what.
8. Yup.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
Sounds like you have the TRICARE Select plan for current medical coverage, or something similar depending on where you live. This is not the same as TRICARE for Life.

In any case, thank you for your service to our country. : )
You are correct. I always call them the wrong thing.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:54 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

One of the “I coulda had a V-8” realizations I had after working with a budgeting tool was that my income had no piece of the action. It’s only about outgo (in my mind).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
...and another thing
Old 11-14-2018, 08:35 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

...and another thing

hmmm, just wondering where you have the federal taxes at? (I’m assuming that you are in a “no state tax” residence)

I agree with HNL Bill that the clothing budget at $400 is much higher than we ever spend (we might do just over $1k for the year in retirement) but don’t expect that reduction to phone, internet, or other similar “niceties” would move the needle. I also expected that there was some reason for the LI, so didn’t concern myself with that.

Still, same question....have you paid off the house?
If not, is the amount budgeted (understanding that the costs are very irregular) adequate?

I definitely understand the calculus of two years of stressful work only contributes to an extra $N k/ year of spending; that’s why we saved so many marshmallows. As per another thread, we probably “oversaved” but we knew that once we stepped off the treadmill we weren’t going to get back. By being sufficiently conservative in our planning, saving those nuts, we KNOW that we will have no problems making it for any reasonable retirement.
We certainly didn’t include part time work “in retirement” as part of the plan in that a short period of extra work puts a significantly higher stash in the bank than part time work at minimum wage (and where we retired to there’s really not the same type of environment for consultants in our former fields .... and I expect you don’t either...so only you know if the OMY is worth it.
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote