How did we miss these stocks?!?

Reading the link, I saw that they said to even open a short sale << the wait tag says it all "keep on staying short or at cash" >> !!! UNBELIEVABLE !!!

First you cannot (or with extreme difficulty) short securities under $5 (it's just prevented from most / all brookers), not to speak under 1$.

Second, would it be possible, that's mere madness, to give that kind of advice with other's people money. Come on, if you were short how can you sustain a 50% move against you in a single day without having put a buy to cover stop long before these 50% have run against you. And now, are you going to wait until you loose 150%, 200%, 1000% before covering !!!!

The only good order on that kind of securities is a buy stop, as described in Weinstein. Let's say the base is @ 0.3, then you can place a buy stop @ 0,37 or 0.35$ which is trigerred if the security goes past this mark (which would have happenned on the 15th and then your stop would have probably been hit on the 68% retracement which followed on 19th, 20th, 21st with a fishing spike on 21st)). you would already be at a loss !

Then again, all that is PVBK trading and has nothing to do with investing. You do not care a damn of the company business and they could manufacture pampers for martians that would do fine if the PVBK makes it.

Now, one wishing to play the game could enter LONG with a limit order @ 0.36 (68% retracement of the last move) and place a sell stop @ 0.29 (more than 20% !!! loss). Then on the 21st CAMH lost 20% during the day on a very low volume of 48k$ (which means biggest position is a 10th to get liquidity on stop execution, i.e. 4k$ ....)

I will not do it as ROC MM200 is < 0 and the first trading rule to success is to stick with the rules. Even if CAMH makes a big run (and ROC 200 might become > 0 but too late), I will not regret to stick with the rules as statistically you only make money doing so. :)

If some play and win I'll be happy for them, it does not take anything from me, this is what is great with trading.

poyet said:
I some play and win I'll be happy for them, it does not take anything from me, this is what is great with trading.

Make sure only play with the money you can afford to lose.

poyet,

CAMH.OB is up over 100% since 12/22/05. You mentioned that you never cut a winner. However, do you ever set a stop loss/limit? If so, at what level do you set the limit?

Spanky

The discussion has two aspects. What should be done for a single position (considered stand alone) and for a position as part of a portfolio for which you want to remain globally within specific risk control levels. Well, I'm going to try to make it simple and give general ideas.

Each and every position should have a stop, be it the ISL (initial stop loss), ZLS (zero loss stop, i.e. break even), or a TSL (trailing stop, meaning you very probably make a profit would this kind of stop be triggerred but not necessarily). Being LONG, stops can only be moved up, and SHORT down. You need al these stops because summing up money you'll give back on all positions would stops be hit gives the overall drawdown (and you want to have control on that) & summing up profit & loss P&Ls on all positions gives you the "hardcash drawdown HCDD" (stops triggerred hopefully do not always generate a loss but can also generate a profit as measured from the entry point, therefore P&Ls). Therefore DD is always negative whereas when positions have run in your favor HCDD can be positive.

TSLs are of various types depending of the volatility of the stock and the dynamics of the move. All that has been programmed, tested and statistically benchmarked by the system I run. There is no bullet proof strategy and sometimes the stop is hit and the securities resumes its trend... without you. Basically you can have TSL200, TSL50, TSL20, TSL9, etc.. (number being the moving average you follow). The fastest the move the closest the stop. But you let it run, never cut a winner. I cannot tell you specifically what my program would do on CAMH but I guess the stop would be somewhere in the 0.76 range (TSL20 or TSL9 ?).

Then all portfolio's positions are checked to adjust all stops (if necessary & depending on the volats) to ensure DD and HCDD are under control (therefore + or ++ etc.). Everyday. That's why it is better to have a system computing all that daily. Furthermore, trading SHORT and LONG are very different for stop placement strategies as well.

Well, that's kinda of an introduction. You can have an idea of stops move @ http://cosmosportfolios.blogspot.com/ looking at actions taken by the system.

None is a PVBK like CAMH so stops are moved more gently.

Poyet,

Thanks for sharing your insight regarding the multi-tier stop point method. It sounds like a good system.

Spanky

Back
Top Bottom