Join Early Retirement Today

How do I get myself to spend a bit more
Old 09-22-2017, 09:49 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

How do I get myself to spend a bit more

I agree, upgrading the little things can give more spice to life.

A nicer soap in the shower.

Buying a prime cut of steak to grill on the weekend.

I traded my 14 year old Ford F-150 XL pickup in a year earlier than planned and also upgraded to an XLT. It's going to be our FIRE road trip vehicle! And I also treated myself to Weatherguard floor mats vs the ones from WalMart. ....... I still feel a little guilty but compromised by getting cloth seats vs leather.

I did hire a yard guy as a personal treat. After 3 visits, let him go and went back to doing it myself. Still can't see spending that kind of money, sigh.
lwp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2017, 10:46 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
At least I don't feel bad for saving 40% (although I have decided to spend the dividends in my IRA, just not the IRA or any other assets) and yes I just complained about this.

FWIW: 8 days in Ukraine:: Viking River Cruises Kiev to Odessa turned out to be 8k. Viator + Turkish Air is under 2k. I'm having a hard time seeing the value in the other 6 K. I know Viking said that they cover all the tours and wine. But I'm not much of a wine drinker, and a tour with 180 other people on it sounds more like torture than splurging to me. The Viator is for anywhere between 1 to 8 people in the group and my sister wants to go. So we're talking about three of us at basically $1,800 a person. I get my own room no matter what .... not great at sharing that
I'm always interested in getting good deals even when I spend money, so can you explain what Viator is ?
I found a web site, is that what you mean, and are you going to stay in 1 town ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:48 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwp2017 View Post

I did hire a yard guy as a personal treat. After 3 visits, let him go and went back to doing it myself. Still can't see spending that kind of money, sigh.
ha ha ha, We had hired lawn service to cover while we were away, I let them keep cutting but when they sent the bill they charged $35 instead of the $32 the fellow had quoted me (and I wrote down at the time).

It bugged me, even though it's only a $3 difference per week, so I canceled them.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:59 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We are in Berlin now staying at an upgraded airbnb. It is worth the extra money to have all the comforts of home in an upscale residential neighbourhood.

In our next upgrade cycle for cars, we will switch to Lexus or Mercedes from Ford/Nissan. Many small steps. We got here on business class with BA on flat beds. We are gradually closing the gap in LBYM by reducing the amount of the B. We will upgrade our phones too.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:11 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In addition to these ideas about how to spend more money on your own enjoyment, you could also support some causes meaningful to you. Being able to donate and support a cause that means a lot to you could be very satisfying.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:20 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I'm always interested in getting good deals even when I spend money, so can you explain what Viator is ?
I found a web site, is that what you mean, and are you going to stay in 1 town ?
It's this one: https://m.viator.com/tour/Kiev/Weste...0P104/info.htm
No, not 1 city and it goes from May 28 to September 30 so next summer (weather constraints at at least one town)
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:38 AM   #27

We are opening up our spending for travel, but I still find myself on automatic LBYM pilot at the grocery store, and other routine situations, even when the amount of money is fairly small.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
We are opening up our spending for travel, but I still find myself on automatic LBYM pilot at the grocery store, and other routine situations, even when the amount of money is fairly small.
+1
Old 09-23-2017, 05:56 AM   #29

Buy a new truck...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0903171142.jpg (494.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 0903171143a (1).jpg (472.1 KB, 59 views)
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:05 AM   #30

Two suggestions if you are uncomfortable spending more on yourself:

#1 Invest in collectables and treat them as an investment (but acknowledging that they are unlikely to offer risk adjusted returns similar to mainstream assets)

#2 Support a charity of other cause - even very small amounts can be meaningful for some small local charities
Old 09-23-2017, 06:21 AM   #31

Hey, travel with me. LOL. I think vacations where the one area where my lovely late hubby and I went first class.

Like audreyh1 said if you travel oversees, going to a nice hotel is a great experience.

It is a process to let go of old habits good or bad. take it slow
Old 09-23-2017, 06:34 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

The next level of hotel is one I've started with, and even then getting, say, the largest room at the Hampton for $20 more.

Also, having a house that needs a lot of work done and finding a contractor who is a great guy who does meticulous work with a trustworthy team but who costs a fortune is another way to watch the money fly out the door. But it's worth it to me, and soon most of the things I have been pretending not to see for years will finally all be fixed.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:58 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post

One thing that helps spend a little more money is to solve problems rather than have increased luxury.
Yes. That's what I've been doing over the past year. Very small potatoes changes but the feeling is "Ahhhh, so much better". For instance just splurged on daily contacts instead of monthly because I was getting dry eye issues. Dry eye is gone with the testers ... ahhhhhh (literally).

Also, the uncertainty in the world right now has given me a more do-it-while-you-can attitude.

I second BCG's admiration of RobbieB. His posts made me think about why I was still going on exactly as I had been before ER.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #34

All great ideas. I reviewed our plans in Savannah, Ga and Charleston, SC and spent a couple of hours on various booking sites. In Savannah, I canceled our 2 nights in a Quality Inn that was a couple miles out of the city and off an Interstate to a highly rated old Inn (built 1823) right in the historic district (with a hot breakfast and a free drink voucher for the bar) for $47 more a night. In Charleston, I went from a Econolodge (again outside the city off an Interstate) to a B&B in the historic district (hot breakfast vs stale bagels and cereal) for $63 more/night.

I think my bride will be happy for the extra $220 I spent.

I think I have moved 3 or 4 steps along the way . . .
Old 09-23-2017, 09:52 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck_Club View Post
Step 1 stay in the "best value" red roof you can find in DC, Chicago or other major city. This should place you dab smack in the middle of the ghetto. You know the type of place that on colder nights they are burning trash in 55 gallon drums outside the hotel to stay warm. (true experience)

All it took for me was finding hairs in the bed at one of the cheaper hotels for me to upgrade to the Hampton, Sheraton, level, and I haven't looked back.

[/url]
OMG, Im dying with laughter.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Like most on this forum, I LBYM for decades in order to build up NW so I could FIRE. Learned to order on the lower end of a menu, travel as cheap (read Super 8's, Red Roof, etc), pack lunches and so on.

Fast forward to now. I have watched my NW climb nicely, got a very large inheritance recently and a nice pension just started. So I don't need to scrimp.

And yet . . . I just have a hard time going up a notch or two to Hyatts or Marriots. I'm still watching my dimes when now I have dollars.

Is there a 12 step program I can go through and not be so frugal since I really don't need to be??
Well, you travel so that is a great first step. I think you can spend a limitless amount of money on travel, if you try. How about booking an around-the-world cruise on a top-of-the-line luxury cruise liner? That should take care of the problem.

We don't travel, and on the rare occasion when we do we are in the Holiday Inn Express category I suppose. That, or Super 8.

Amazon Prime has been a great way to spend more on doo-dads, but it adds up to less than I had thought it would.

So I bought my Dream Home, which honestly is the most amazing and wonderful purchase of my entire life. Thanks to Mr. Market, barely two years later my portfolio is larger than it was before buying my Dream Home in cash. It's as though I got a free Dream Home.

I would buy a new car, but can't find one that I like better than my 2009 Toyota Venza.

So now, like you, I am thinking of how to spend more. I suspect that eventually we will have a humungous market crash and this won't be on our minds after that.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:56 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
All great ideas. I reviewed our plans in Savannah, Ga and Charleston, SC and spent a couple of hours on various booking sites. In Savannah, I canceled our 2 nights in a Quality Inn that was a couple miles out of the city and off an Interstate to a highly rated old Inn (built 1823) right in the historic district (with a hot breakfast and a free drink voucher for the bar) for $47 more a night. In Charleston, I went from a Econolodge (again outside the city off an Interstate) to a B&B in the historic district (hot breakfast vs stale bagels and cereal) for $63 more/night.

I think my bride will be happy for the extra $220 I spent.

I think I have moved 3 or 4 steps along the way . . .
so worth it!
Old 09-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I think it may depend on your personality type to some degree. I never had trouble spending more and more as my NW increased. I don't even look at the prices anymore. However, my DW hasn't changed a bit. She never has spent much money and she still complains about the cost of just about everything.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck_Club View Post
Step 1 stay in the "best value" red roof you can find in DC, Chicago or other major city. This should place you dab smack in the middle of the ghetto. You know the type of place that on colder nights they are burning trash in 55 gallon drums outside the hotel to stay warm. (true experience)

On my most recent trip to Glacier National Park this month, I stayed at motel 6's along the road. $47 a night was the cheapest.

In my Biloxi, MS trip last March, there was a domestic disturbance on two different nights for two different couples. It wasn't a Motel 6, but similar.

It's always interesting when you go cheaper.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
In my Biloxi, MS trip last March, there was a domestic disturbance on two different nights for two different couples. It wasn't a Motel 6, but similar.

It's always interesting when you go cheaper.
, That was the live free entertainment, hahahahah, you needed to read the fine print, It was complimentary morning Danish and coffee, or front row seats to the night time brawls.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote