Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I'm always interested in getting good deals even when I spend money, so can you explain what Viator is ?
I found a web site, is that what you mean, and are you going to stay in 1 town ?
Viator is a big tour company (consolidator?) that contracts with local tour companies to conduct tours at most tourist visited locations. They are owed by Trip Advisor.

I tend to work to figure out who the local tour operator is and book directly.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2017, 01:59 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
On my most recent trip to Glacier National Park this month, I stayed at motel 6's along the road. $47 a night was the cheapest.

In my Biloxi, MS trip last March, there was a domestic disturbance on two different nights for two different couples. It wasn't a Motel 6, but similar.

It's always interesting when you go cheaper.
Maybe they like it cheap and rough.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:57 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Oh!!!! Another way to spend more, is to respond to threads like this one. In my post above, I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I would buy a new car, but can't find one that I like better than my 2009 Toyota Venza.
Just SAYING that made the wheels start spinning, and a couple of hours ago I got an idea for a car that I think I would like better than my Venza. Why I never thought of that model before, I do not know! I am going to transfer some money from Vanguard to my checking account, and then go test drive it in a few days. If I don't like it, I have a couple of other ideas. Anyway, once I have made up my mind when and what and if I am buying, I'll tell everyone. I am in no rush.

Also, my dear Frank has over 247,000 miles on his Murano and so he is looking for a cheap but very reliable used car. If I buy a new car, I can sell him my (awfully beat up looking but super reliable and low mileage) Venza at a low price since there would be no middle man.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I agree. I ruthlessly cut out goods and services that I do not need, for example, cable TV (it’s been 5 years!). But if I see value in something, e.g. organic produce, a flight without connections, etc, etc, I think about what that might be worth to me. As they say in business school: “It’s all about the value proposition”.
I agree, and sitting crammed into a coach seat for any flight over 2 hours is not something we will do anymore. It's first or business class from here on out for the longer flights, and at the very least upgraded extended leg room seats for shorter jaunts. It's just not worth the discomfort anymore.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... my dear Frank has over 247,000 miles on his Murano and so he is looking for a cheap but very reliable used car...
Wow, that's a lot of driving for a retired guy. And if my memory does not fail me, I think he had a major transmission problem before too.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Wow, that's a lot of driving for a retired guy.
It is a 2003, and he retired in 2010. He loved that car! But now it is time to give it a fond farewell.

Quote:
And if my memory does not fail me, I think he had a major transmission problem before too.
I don't remember if he had one or not, but there is always something going on with an old, completely thrashed vehicle like that, I suppose. Right now it is leaking water. On Sunday, torrential rains appeared unexpectedly while we were having lunch, and by the time we left there was 3 inches on the floor inside the Murano. It is basically completely worn out in every respect. I plan to give him a really good deal on the Venza. Just not driving with his feet in water should be an improvement.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:37 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Is there a 12 step program I can go through and not be so frugal since I really don't need to be??
I'd suggest Tightwads Anonymous.

Grant me the serenity to not have to find the best deal on everything, the courage to spend for things I'll truly enjoy or will benefit those I care about, and the wisdom to realize I've only got a few years left before the $ I've saved may be wasted by some spendthrift heir.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:11 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Grant me the serenity to not have to find the best deal on everything, the courage to spend for things I'll truly enjoy or will benefit those I care about, and the wisdom to realize I've only got a few years left before the $ I've saved may be wasted by some spendthrift heir.
Excellent!
Old 09-24-2017, 10:02 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

+1

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:35 AM   #50

Quote:

Wow, I like it.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:40 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Is there a 12 step program I can go through and not be so frugal since I really don't need to be??
Actually, there is a one step program that will solve your problem in one swell foop.

Buy a boat.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #52

Quote:

I love it! I think I need to share this with the DW and throw off the LBYM shackles that are unneeded at this point.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Actually, there is a one step program that will solve your problem in one swell foop.

Buy a boat.
Or an airplane.

Either will solve the problem quite nicely.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #54

Quote:
Oh!!!! Another way to spend more, is to respond to threads like this one. In my post above, I said:

Just SAYING that made the wheels start spinning, and a couple of hours ago I got an idea for a car that I think I would like better than my Venza. Why I never thought of that model before, I do not know! I am going to transfer some money from Vanguard to my checking account, and then go test drive it in a few days. If I don't like it, I have a couple of other ideas. Anyway, once I have made up my mind when and what and if I am buying, I'll tell everyone. I am in no rush.

Also, my dear Frank has over 247,000 miles on his Murano and so he is looking for a cheap but very reliable used car. If I buy a new car, I can sell him my (awfully beat up looking but super reliable and low mileage) Venza at a low price since there would be no middle man.
I'm dying to know - what's the model?

I did not like the Venza when I drove it so I bought a Highlander instead. Total POS, courtesy of the Indiana truck factory. Now I have the Lexus, but I'm having problems with wheel vibration and the radio at 3 years old and less than 30k miles. Not as happy with Toyota products as I used to be.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Or an airplane.

Either will solve the problem quite nicely.
Don't leave RV's out of the solution!
Old 09-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #56
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post

I did not like the Venza when I drove it so I bought a Highlander instead. Total POS, courtesy of the Indiana truck factory. Now I have the Lexus, but I'm having problems with wheel vibration and the radio at 3 years old and less than 30k miles. Not as happy with Toyota products as I used to be.
Actually I was thinking she would pick Lexus .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:37 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Anyway, once I have made up my mind when and what and if I am buying, I'll tell everyone. I am in no rush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post

It's another brand. I hope I don't regret leaving Toyota, like Moemg probably did when her Honda had paint and AC problems.

I'll let you know what I decided on after I buy it, like I said above. I have one particular model in mind (not a Toyota), but if I don't like the test drive, I have thought of a couple of others as backups.

Today F says he may want to wait until next year to do this. Why, I don't know! I will never understand men (and many of them might say the same about women ). I told him we could drop the idea with no hard feelings, and he said no, he really, really wants the Venza. So it's all up in the air. We will be talking about the timeframe in the next few days. Nothing is ever easy.

My personality is such that when I make a decision of this type, it is firm and I want to take action on it immediately, BOOM! I never have regrets. I guess most people are not like that.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:44 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Tell Frank NWB asked about his transmission problem. I want a confirmation that my memory is still superior.

PS. As part of the effort to spend more, you can give him your car.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Tell Frank NWB asked about his transmission problem. I want a confirmation that my memory is still superior.

PS. As part of the effort to spend more, you can give him your car.
I did just now, and he says it isn't - - he never had a transmission problem. It was probably something else; with a car that old and with that many miles, many other problems have arisen over the years.

I'd be happy to give him my car, but I don't think he would accept charity. The price we have discussed is a pretty steep discount (because I want to spend more - - that is what brought the idea to my mind in the first place). But I have justified this to him, by pointing out that we are avoiding the middleman.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:11 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post

A very wealthy old lady I knew who drove a Benz but bought day old bread told me... "I pinch pennies so I can spend dollars" and that credo has always stuck with me
Yep, I do this also. As an example, spending a few months in a warmer climate each winter is very important to us, so we save for that and plan to continue doing it as long as we are able (even if our costs for doing so increase). On the other hand, there are numerous other areas where I will try to save $$ if I can. For instance, I will often do small repairs on my vehicles or routine house/yard maintenance myself rather than hiring someone. I get some satisfaction out of doing that, plus it saves me $$ that I would rather spend on other things. Saving $$ on the smaller things does add up over time.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote