Join Early Retirement Today

How do you calculate cash reserves?
Old 05-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

How do you calculate cash reserves?

This question is for those of you who specifically allocate a "cash bucket" in your AA to cover a specified number of years. Do you factor in expected dividends and interest each year? For example, if you need 25K per year and want a 3-year cash bucket, would you keep 75K in cash? Or, would you consider that you expect to receive, for example, 10K in divs and interest and keep 45K in your cash bucket to cover the difference?
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would do the first option, keep 75K in cash. Straight forward and simple to do.
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
This question is for those of you who specifically allocate a "cash bucket" in your AA to cover a specified number of years. Do you factor in expected dividends and interest each year? For example, if you need 25K per year and want a 3-year cash bucket, would you keep 75K in cash? Or, would you consider that you expect to receive, for example, 10K in divs and interest and keep 45K in your cash bucket to cover the difference?
Don't count your chickens before they've hatched!

I'd put away the full three years expenses, in your example, and use any dividends or interest earned during the year to help with rebalancing.

Rita
Old 05-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

$ in cash

I keep 5 years worth of my budget. $250k. Each January a $50k+CD matures and I either roll it over or use it. It's ~ 20% of my portfolio. Which is a 50stocks/30bonds/20cash reserves.

It helps me sleep @ night know that I have that much of a buffer from the market.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This question is for those of you who specifically allocate a "cash bucket" in your AA to cover a specified number of years. Do you factor in expected dividends and interest each year? For example, if you need 25K per year and want a 3-year cash bucket, would you keep 75K in cash?
If I thought I needed 25k per year, I would bump that amount up 25% for unforeseen expenses and figure in 3% inflation.
Quote:
Or, would you consider that you expect to receive, for example, 10K in divs and interest and keep 45K in your cash bucket to cover the difference?
No. Counting on something that might happen is dangerous, IMO.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I actually take it two steps further. I don't count my cash emergency reserve portion in my asset allocation. Also, I have a separate (easier to keep track of) money market fund soley for this purpose.

That way I'm ready if something funny happens (like the market drops 1000 pts in 15 minutes).
Old 05-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No. I simply assume that the dividends/interest take care of inflation over those years. It's not perfectly accurate, but close enough.

And I actually have my cash bucket for near term living expenses out of my portfolio. My long-term portfolio still has a certain % cash - but that is for diversification and rebalancing purposes.

Audrey
Old 05-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

my cash allocation and how I handle it in retirement

Like the others, I only count cash (money market funds or bank accounts) as cash. My cash reserves are in Vanguard's Prime Money Market VMMXX and my cash for the current year's expenses (2010 expenses) are in my bank account.

My dividends and LTCG go straight to VMMXX. Since I am a new retiree, and want to keep things simple right now, I do things a little oddly just to keep my mental accounting straight. The first week in January I move cash from VMMXX to my bank account for the entire year's living expenses. I move just part of my dividends - - enough so that my bank account balance equals the previous year's dividends (but not LTCG).

Then, I rebalance. In the process of rebalancing I restore my cash allocation to what I think it should be. During the year I do not routinely use any of the cash in VMMXX and just restrict myself to what is in my bank account. This is just for mental accounting until I am more confident about managing my money in retirement.

I am still not sure how much cash I should be keeping in Vanguard! Right now I have enough cash to last me until 2015, but that is probably way too much since I am used to living on less. On the other hand, we might move and it would be convenient to have plenty of cash for that, but we have pushed back the date on that... it's hard to know how much cash I should have.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #9

Our cash reserves are in a money market fund and laddered CD's; we have enough for one year expenses. Our income flow comes from rental properties, and the extra gets re-invested.

We are thinking of building up our cash reserves to cover 3 years. Great topic!
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:34 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My cash reserves are in Vanguard's Prime Money Market VMMXX and my cash for the current year's expenses (2010 expenses) are in my bank account.

My dividends and LTCG go straight to VMMXX. Since I am a new retiree, and want to keep things simple right now, I do things a little oddly just to keep my mental accounting straight. The first week in January I move cash from VMMXX to my bank account for the entire year's living expenses. I move just part of my dividends - - enough so that my bank account balance equals the previous year's dividends (but not LTCG).

Then, I rebalance. In the process of rebalancing I restore my cash allocation to what I think it should be.
I am following almost the same process. Although, after reading some others' thoughts around here I moved some about $200K MM to my Thrift G fund since that is better than cash. The only thing I struggle with is when to start hitting equities for annual expenses on the way up. Do most folks pull from the cash bucket until the markets recover a previous high? Do they start pulling from equities when markets are substantially up from a low (e.g. like 2009)? I pulled cash in January figuring I would let the recovery progress a bit more before tapping equities. My gut tells me to tap some equities if we are up 10% or so this year. I am not planning to deplete cash waiting for a 14K DOW. But just where to draw the line is pretty subjective.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:44 AM   #11

I do not include any interest or divident income when calculating my cash allocation, but I do include my pension. That is to say, if we spent $50k a year and my pension were $10k per year, then I would figure that our cash needs are $40k per year.

All out cash is in money markets and iBonds. I figure iBonds are the perfect cash reserve. Lock'em away and forget about them. No tax, and no inflation worries. I just wish we could have purchased more.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Our allocation is 40-40-20 stock-bond-cash. The 20% cash could be looked at as 5 years of 4% withdrawals. It does not include dividends and interest which we "take" rather than invest, but it also constitutes our emergency reserves.

Cash usually has two attributes; stability of principal and liquidity. We shade away from pure liquidity as some others do by including some CDs and Treasury Bills. 10% of current balance is 10+ year old IBonds.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I am following almost the same process. Although, after reading some others' thoughts around here I moved some about $200K MM to my Thrift G fund since that is better than cash. The only thing I struggle with is when to start hitting equities for annual expenses on the way up. Do most folks pull from the cash bucket until the markets recover a previous high? Do they start pulling from equities when markets are substantially up from a low (e.g. like 2009)? I pulled cash in January figuring I would let the recovery progress a bit more before tapping equities. My gut tells me to tap some equities if we are up 10% or so this year. I am not planning to deplete cash waiting for a 14K DOW. But just where to draw the line is pretty subjective.

I have the very same question. That is, when equities rise, during rebalancing, the cash reserve automatically gets replenished. But when equities decline during the year, what's the best approach?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
I do not include any interest or divident income when calculating my cash allocation, but I do include my pension. That is to say, if we spent $50k a year and my pension were $10k per year, then I would figure that our cash needs are $40k per year.

All out cash is in money markets and iBonds. I figure iBonds are the perfect cash reserve. Lock'em away and forget about them. No tax, and no inflation worries. I just wish we could have purchased more.
Same here.

I also have CD's in addition to I-bonds and money market funds.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #15

It's interesting to see that some of you are including I-Bonds in your cash allocation. I have lumped mine in with TIPs, and calculated that as part of my bond allocation.

Interesting perspective - you all always give me something to think about!
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
It's interesting to see that some of you are including I-Bonds in your cash allocation. I have lumped mine in with TIPs, and calculated that as part of my bond allocation.

They behave similar to a 5 year CD, principal secure, 3 month interest penalty if you withdraw early, but interest is variable and tax deferred. I used to count them as bonds as well but changed my mind 2 or 3 years back.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #17

Quote:

I used to lump Ibonds with TIPs like you do, but somebody on this board or Bogleheads pointed out the cash-like features of Ibonds that set them apart from TIPs, mainly that they are always redeemable at full value, unlike TIPs which vary with the market. They are also very close to being perfectly liquid. That said, our Ibonds would be the very last source of cash that I would spend.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I have a lot in G Fund too, considerably more than in cash, actually. I don't count that as cash because it isn't sufficiently liquid to suit me due to withdrawal rules (like, right now I am doing equal monthly payments so that specifies what I can withdraw until next year). I count the G Fund as part of my bond allocation.

I don't worry about when to start hitting equities. Rebalancing in January (and at other times as needed) will take care of that and provide me with the planned asset allocation. January's rebalancing meant that I sold some equities at that time. I haven't rebalanced since then because I haven't needed to do so. If my AA got considerably out of balance, I would rebalance and sell equities if necessary at that time even if it wasn't January yet.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I have the very same question. That is, when equities rise, during rebalancing, the cash reserve automatically gets replenished. But when equities decline during the year, what's the best approach?
How many times during the year do you plan on re-balancing?

What threshold would you use to signal re-balancing and which assets are out of balance?

Check the FAQ here for book references that can help with your definition.

-- Rita
Old 05-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Frank Armstrong suggested taking from FI until the equity portion "recovers" - but I don't remember what the definition of "recover" was.

But he did recommend having cash plus fixed income part of your portfolio be at least 7 years so that you could wait up to 7 years for equities to recover from a crash.

Audrey